John Cooper Clark, the Bard of Salford

Prestwich_Blue said:
Saw JCC in the mid-70's at Manchester Poly (as it was then). I'd actually gone to see Clive James, who was touring with a guy called Pete Atkin. In the interval, JCC jumped onto the stage completely unannounced and started reciting his poetry.

Security were going to throw him off but the crowd demanded they let him stay on so they did. We'd never seen anything like it but how could you not like "You'll never see a nipple in the Daily Express"?

I turned to the guy stood just behind me and said "He's good isn't he?". "Yes. How the fuck am I going to follow that?" said Clive James.

How cool was that? :-)

Johncooperclarke.com should have tour details-he gigs a lot these days, seen him 4 times in the last 5 or 6 years. OP pm me your email address I'll send you mp3s.

What me worry
What me care
Shit for brains
Wire for hair
I seen the future
And I ain't there.
Things are gonna get worse

pominoz said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
Saw JCC in the mid-70's at Manchester Poly (as it was then). I'd actually gone to see Clive James, who was touring with a guy called Pete Atkin. In the interval, JCC jumped onto the stage completely unannounced and started reciting his poetry.

Security were going to throw him off but the crowd demanded they let him stay on so they did. We'd never seen anything like it but how could you not like "You'll never see a nipple in the Daily Express"?

I turned to the guy stood just behind me and said "He's good isn't he?". "Yes. How the fuck am I going to follow that?" said Clive James.

I left out the rest of the conversation, which was distinctly uncool.

"Hey. You're Clive James!".

"Thank you but I already knew that." Took a long time to live that one down.

Prestwich_Blue said:
pominoz said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

I saw Howard Jacobson smoking a cigar outside a bookies once.
Me: "Are you Howard Jacobson?"
Him: "No."

Lying bastard.

Prestwich_Blue said:
pominoz said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

Hahaha! you have to love Clive, one of the inner circle of Hitchens and the boys back in the day.

Absolutely love JCC. Such an underrated poet and an absolute national treasure. He should be kept in Poet's Corner for posterity.

Many of the greats have been mentioned already. Check out Kung Fu Internationale (in which he gets beaten up) is simply amazing. 36 hours is simply genius and the version set to music is stunning.

Lights out, sack time.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSvuGa47zHM[/youtube]

He's also the genius that gave us 'Haiku':

To convey one's mood
In seventeen syllables
Is very diffic

Underneath that yellow shirt
beats a heart of solid dirt
the most disgusting man on earth
the It Man

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.