We finished 9pts behind Manure last season

Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
We finished third thats it. Finishing second will be progress.

3rd on goal difference. Joint second on points accumulated. Based on that, and Chelsea's torrid season this season due to having a new manager, I don't really see how finishing second will be much progress at all. Particularly if we continue to just throw the league away in the manner in which we currently are.

I sit here still scratching my head as to how the team which annihilated the rags and spurs has fallen apart in such spectacular fashion. It's like a Formula One car stalling on the final lap.

Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
cookster said:
If we finish more than 9pts behind them this season, is that progress?

We virtually finished 2nd last season (only missed out on GD).

We finished third thats it. Finishing second will be progress.
How the hell can you say its progress when we have spent 100 mill in the summer at least last season we won a cup.

Can we call it pogress this season? If we look at our display pre-Xams then proegress was obvious to see - our play, our mentality and tactically we were strong and resolute (with the exception of the CL games).

Post-Xmas - its like watching a different team, and this needs further analysis of why we are scraping games at home, and fooking up away. Yes the loss of Kompany, Lescott and Toure were a big part in our dip in form in 2012. But we needed to be, mentalliy and tactically, more resilient on the pitch than we have been. Being top of the league we are always going to be the scalp everyone want to take.

When you put together the first and second half of the season then it hard to see were progress has been made this year (season), participular if we do not end on a high note. I have been waiting for a reaction from the team for a number of games now, and to be honest I have not seen the specatular form we started the season with. IMO our recent home wins have far from been convincing performances, although I have taken comfort in the players spirt and professional pride in coming back from behind in recent games to get something.

Every team is allowed a dip in form and the odd bad result, but our run has been too long. Where it now getting to the point where it is likely that we have thrown the league away.

So what next? Speculation of the special one's arrivals, rumblings of mancini out and fighting amougst ourselfs does not inspire confidence. Nor for me do Booby Manc's recent team selctions, but what do I know.

I am not saying it is all doom and gloom, although I am the usual city pessimist. But if we lose the leagues and finsh second what will have been the highlights of the season? Given where we are our seasons have to be worth more than beating ushited at the swap and great away days. Yes we had an electric start, and yes at one point we did look barcelona-esc (not as good obviously), but that has been marred with some disappointment in the secound half of the season.

Journo's keep asking the question if the cracks are starting to show? For me they have been showing for a while. We should not be focusing on ushited, but only on our own game, and the next one at that. Then making it count on the pitch, that is where the mind game are won. But let's not get away from the facts: on paper this seasons win/lose ratio of league games this season have been great, and perhaps should be enough to win the league? It does pain me to say it but I do think that the experience Manure have may have just given them the edge required this year. Although i can't help but think that the 1- 6 result and our fantastic form inspired them to go on and over achieve this season.

So to come back to the point, if we don't win the league then I still believe we have made some progress albeit of the pitch. We will have the experience of mounting a realistic challenge in recent time for the league, will have gotten a step closer in building a team that is required to achieve great things and we should be more determined in getting things right next time. but is that enough is the $6,000,000 question.

Aguero - "Even if we don't win the title, the fans will still say we had a great season".
Let's prove Sergio right and get behind the team.

greasedupdeafguy said:
Masonicity said:
Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
We could quite easily be 8 behind by next Sunday!
Or they could drop a couple of points against sides that are hungry for relegation survival.
they wont
They are playing Wigan next week aren't they? Wigan always seem to get decent results against united....

We lasted 3/4 of the season at the top position and still at Manure's necks. Progress.

Despite where we finished last season I never at any time thought we'd win the league. I've not quite given up on this season yet. Last season ended on such a high with the cup semi, clinching chumps lg, winning the cup and then snatching third off the arse. It's not always going to be that good but we've got an incredible bunch of players and loads of fantastic times coming for the foreseable future regardless of how this season ends. With Mancini or without. I'm hoping with.

Mancini has been backed in the transfer market further and if he doesn't win the league will not have delivered further trophies upon the platform he set last season. I don't consider runners up to the rags as progress. That is the talk of those who also say that it's the taking part that counts which is a kind recognition of the fact that they're the losers.

There will be a lot more changes in the summer than some are expecting and hopefully for the better. If we don't win the league then it's because we've not been good enough. Dress it up however else you like but that's what it boils down to at the end of the day.

I think that the important thing now is a strong finish to the season. If that wins us the league then then this season will stay fondly in all our memories for the rest of our lives. If it doesn't then we can learn and build from it and develop an awesome period in our history. Either way - progress.

If the wheels completely fall off in this run-in then the board have a very difficult decison to make. I honestly would not know what would be the best thing to do in the long term; the wrong choice (keep or sack mancini) could destroy everything we have built in the last 3 years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.