A City Sale As A Kid That Broke Your Heart

LongsightM13 said:
bluestevei said:
super trev, had him for 1 season and then club sold him ffs
The sale of Trevor Francis was the first sign we really were in the shit financially after Big Mal's disastrous second coming. We had the best striker in the country and had to sell him at a loss

true, but the 'groin' was already far from his most potent, but what a player nevertheless!

I loved watching Paul Stewart too - as someone else already mentioned, and then you had Dennis Tueart's departure to the Cosmos (which left a bit of a hole as well) before his return, and 'Kiddo' was my first City idol.

over the years you always form attachments to certain players, like Nicky Reid, Steve MacKenzie, Bobby MacDonald, Gerry Gow (even though he was only around briefly) the one notable exception I'd never seen play being Kinkladze; this may have been too much for me if I weren't exiled overseas for the duration of his time with us, because he must have been truly magical to watch in his pomp!

zandvoort blue said:
Paul Walsh out
Gerry "fucking" Creaney in
unbelievably poor bit of business, the worst swap in football history
Saves me typing it , ^^^^

Denis Law to Torino in 1962 he only played 44 times for the Blues scoring 21 goals from an attacking midfield position.

We could not give him the success he craved as the rest of the team were either average or complete pants.

He was obviously tapped up by the Scum but we would not sell to them so he had less than a full season with the Italians before returning to play for our near neighbours.

You just had to see him play to see what a gifted footballer he was, but that was City in those days poor management, no forward planning and allowing Busby our ex-player to cream off all the best young talent in the country. Things could and should have been a whole lot different.

I can't believe this thread is 7 pages long and no one has mentioned David White going to Leeds (I think we got Rocastle in exchange)...Is my memory of him of as a great player just warped by time???

Gutted as a kid when Peter Barnes went to WBA, he was my idol at the time, was even more upset when he signed for the rags.

Tommy Caton to the gooners-I knew that we had no intention of remaining a top team.

True_Blue69 said:
Kendal selling Bishop for me the same season as he scored the diving header in the 5-1. Was devastated he was my favorite player despite only being there for half a season. All because he had long hair if the rumours are to be believed!

It's the "Bish" for me too mate. Not my first hero, but up there with the best young talent we pushed out. I remember his last game against Norwich at Maine Road, he ran the show, and at the final whistle he stood and applauded the Kippax for what seemed like ages. Being a bit of a youngster at the time I thought to myself.... "he loves it here he'll never leave us"... only to be snapped back to reality by my old man turning to me and just saying ..."that's it son, he's gone". GUTTED.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.