Stadium Expansion

DiscoSteve said:
don't forget those 3rd tier corner seats could be replaced by boxes if they can relocate the 'users of them' to the 'new seating' wherever that ends up - I'm still intrigued to work out how they are going to sort the roof out, the ends must come off, that's the only way it can work as far as I can see
From what I remember, isn't our stadium a mini version of the ANZ Stadium? Maybe what is happening is the reverse of what happened there...

2000 Olympics:
anz-stadium.jpg

Present day:
telstrastadium2.jpg

Yes I know this held 120000 and now holds 90000 so it's on a different planet to our stadium, but the huge second tiers behind the goals were removed after the Olympics and it was capped off with a finish just like ours is now. Maybe we'll go the other way with an extension back of our second tiers behind the goals but with a roof put in over the top.?

1.618034 said:
WNRH said:
LoveCity said:
People are willing to pay the prices for certain games. Look at the seat planner for our glamour friendly against Real Madrid after failing to sell out our previous two CL games! Despite the Real game being more expensive and mostly us playing for pride:

2a84vid.jpg

You are talking an extra 13,000 seats though, that is a hell of a jump. We couldn't sell out for our first ever Champions League game.

What's the obsession with selling every seat?

Surely 50+ thousand in a 60 thousand stadium is better than a 47k sell-out?

If there are no tickets left to buy how can we ever get new regular supporters for league games?

Oh and I agree with DD's suggestion about a cheaper "popular" end to help create some atmosphere. Get The Citizens in there eh Dave?
Exactly.

Expanding the stadium should only happen if we are selling out week in week out surely!?
I have "Floating" mate City fans who I have offered spare tickets to for 20 quid or even feck all on some occasions..with a lift there and back!...and still struggled to get rid!!.
Problem is if it is expanded and is then only 2/3 full for CL games or even league games then the atmosphere will be shocking and it'll put people off coming at all.
The tram line will not make a jot of difference either...They don't put bigger trams on for games in Stretford and they won't for ours either...It'll be quicker to walk back to town than queue for a tram after matches..and it's a quid each in a cab from town to the ground.
Someone mentioned Bundesliga earlier...the difference is that they have a public transport culture over there...They take the train, tram or underground without even considering taking a car...and they can because they can just jump on a tube or tram from the end of their road and go to their ground either direct or with max a couple of changes...and for no more than the price of a pint.
I have been to loads of grounds in Germany and getting to and from is so easy..usually with the tube station a stones throw away...Where they have trams they are usually double length for matches.
And the fans don't leave early either...but don't start me on that!

WNRH said:
1.618034 said:
WNRH said:
You are talking an extra 13,000 seats though, that is a hell of a jump. We couldn't sell out for our first ever Champions League game.

If there are no tickets left to buy how can we ever get new regular supporters for league games?

Oh and I agree with DD's suggestion about a cheaper "popular" end to help create some atmosphere. Get The Citizens in there eh Dave?

It's not an obsession it's basic economics. Why spend millions extending the stadium by 13,000 seats if in reality only 3,000 will be used for the majority of games? Waste of money.

Ok let's do the Maths...

If it attracts only 3000 extras then assuming they spend an average of about £50 each (ticket plus beer, food, merch...) then that's an extra £150k per game.

But obviously I think you're being overly pessimistic, so instead I'll assume it attracts an average of 10k more, a reasonable assumption IMO as we sold out season cards on the first day and have sold out every home league game for over 12 months, then that's an extra £500k per game! That's half a million. Pounds. Per game. On average. WHEN it does sell out that's an extra Seven Hundred Thousand Pounds.

Now if you think that's to be sniffed at, and also taking into consideration that any money spent on the stadium is exempt from FFPR, then I'm afraid you're deluded if you can't see the economic point.

Caveman said:
DiscoSteve said:
don't forget those 3rd tier corner seats could be replaced by boxes if they can relocate the 'users of them' to the 'new seating' wherever that ends up - I'm still intrigued to work out how they are going to sort the roof out, the ends must come off, that's the only way it can work as far as I can see
From what I remember, isn't our stadium a mini version of the ANZ Stadium? Maybe what is happening is the reverse of what happened there...

2000 Olympics:
anz-stadium.jpg

Present day:
telstrastadium2.jpg

Yes I know this held 120000 and now holds 90000 so it's on a different planet to our stadium, but the huge second tiers behind the goals were removed after the Olympics and it was capped off with a finish just like ours is now. Maybe we'll go the other way with an extension back of our second tiers behind the goals but with a roof put in over the top.?

Here's one I did earlier. (September)

sydney_aerial_olympic_stadium_l.jpg

As it is now.

stadium_mid_-_nice_light.jpg

Or the otherway around.

Messing about.

A photoshop wizard I'm not.

Add 4 more spirals and 8 supporting masts. Use your imagination. It could be....

96ZFR.jpg

1268407145_375.jpg

Anyone expecting cheaper tickets is going to be very disappointed.

FFPR is not a one year consideration, and they need to make the club break even/profitable. United have around 25,000 corporate tickets, we have less than 5000, so do the maths on say £80 per ticket over a season.

At the moment if we increased corporate to 25,000 (remember its corprate which is not the same as "fan" so it could be done, especially if we are champions), that would leave only 19,000 tickets for the 'ordinary' fan (assuming 3000 away fans), so an increase to 60,000 capacity, still only leaves 32,000 tickets, less than we currently have as season ticket holders alone.

The club will also want more day trippers, because they bring in far more revenue than loyal season ticket holders do, so even with a 60,000 capacity, there is little or no scope for any price reductions.

Even history will tell you prices do not come down, unless of course you get an inferior product, and that is not what our owner is after.

cleavers said:
Anyone expecting cheaper tickets is going to be very disappointed.

FFPR is not a one year consideration, and they need to make the club break even/profitable. United have around 25,000 corporate tickets, we have less than 5000, so do the maths on say £80 per ticket over a season.

At the moment if we increased corporate to 25,000 (remember its corprate which is not the same as "fan" so it could be done, especially if we are champions), that would leave only 19,000 tickets for the 'ordinary' fan (assuming 3000 away fans), so an increase to 60,000 capacity, still only leaves 32,000 tickets, less than we currently have as season ticket holders alone.

The club will also want more day trippers, because they bring in far more revenue than loyal season ticket holders do, so even with a 60,000 capacity, there is little or no scope for any price reductions.

Even history will tell you prices do not come down, unless of course you get an inferior product, and that is not what our owner is after.

If City don't adjust the ticket prices, those extra seats won't be filled.

The club is not at the stage yet(United, Arsenal, Liverpool, etc) where it can charge top dollar and fill a 60K stadium.

I think there will be a revised pricing policy to make sure the stadium is full or almost full for every PL match. As for the CL and cup games, who knows.

1.618034 said:
WNRH said:
1.618034 said:

It's not an obsession it's basic economics. Why spend millions extending the stadium by 13,000 seats if in reality only 3,000 will be used for the majority of games? Waste of money.

Ok let's do the Maths...

If it attracts only 3000 extras then assuming they spend an average of about £50 each (ticket plus beer, food, merch...) then that's an extra £150k per game.

But obviously I think you're being overly pessimistic, so instead I'll assume it attracts an average of 10k more, a reasonable assumption IMO as we sold out season cards on the first day and have sold out every home league game for over 12 months, then that's an extra £500k per game! That's half a million. Pounds. Per game. On average. WHEN it does sell out that's an extra Seven Hundred Thousand Pounds.

Now if you think that's to be sniffed at, and also taking into consideration that any money spent on the stadium is exempt from FFPR, then I'm afraid you're deluded if you can't see the economic point.

Your maths are based on assumption, where is the demand for an extra 1,000 tickets let alone 10,000. Typing 10,000 is simply pressing 6 buttons on a keyboard, sounds easy to fill, but try and get 10,000 to hand over £50 every two weeks and see if it is easy.

jrb said:
Caveman said:
DiscoSteve said:

2000 Olympics:
anz-stadium.jpg

Present day:
telstrastadium2.jpg

Here's one I did earlier. (September)

sydney_aerial_olympic_stadium_l.jpg

As it is now.

stadium_mid_-_nice_light.jpg

Or the otherway around.

Messing about.

A photoshop wizard I'm not.

Add 4 more spirals and 8 supporting masts. Use your imagination. It could be....

96ZFR.jpg

1268407145_375.jpg
A ha, indeed! So I'm not alone in this way if thinking. Well that would be impressive, imposing stands are the ones that create the best noise and intimidate the oppositions. Doesn't matter about looks, it will be nice anyway.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.