Where is the line between success and failure?

dancity19

Do we have to win the league for this season not to be a failure?

The league is always going to be everyones priority this season. To win it isn't easy, but if we don't win it, does this season become a failure?

Already being out of the Champions League and the Carling Cup, we have 2 competitions in which to make a mark- the league and the FA Cup.

Whilst winning the FA Cup would be great, I don't think we are at the stage where winning the FA Cup makes a fantastic season, if we don't win the league. Not saying it would make it a failure, as winning a trophy is great, but league is the obvious priority.

Just interested as to peoples opinions on this. What makes this season a success or a failure, and where is the line drawn. It's a thin line, definitely.

At the start of the season my hopes were to improve in Europe, and to retain the league. A cup run would be nice (FA Cup) but the other 2 were more important. Having failed spectacularly in Europe, where is the line between a successful campaign and a failure of a campaign.

dancity19 said:

The league is always going to be everyones priority this season. To win it isn't easy, but if we don't win it, does this season become a failure?

Already being out of the Champions League and the Carling Cup, we have 2 competitions in which to make a mark- the league and the FA Cup.

Whilst winning the FA Cup would be great, I don't think we are at the stage where winning the FA Cup makes a fantastic season, if we don't win the league. Not saying it would make it a failure, as winning a trophy is great, but league is the obvious priority.

Just interested as to peoples opinions on this. What makes this season a success or a failure, and where is the line drawn. It's a thin line, definitely.

At the start of the season my hopes were to improve in Europe, and to retain the league. A cup run would be nice (FA Cup) but the other 2 were more important. Having failed spectacularly in Europe, where is the line between a successful campaign and a failure of a campaign.

Rags spent all that money over all those years and still sometimes win fuck all like last season

Success is not guaranteed

I expect us to compete for the league every season from now on and hopefully win it lots of times

I'd expect us to win a good few plus some other trophies including the Champions League

We have serious competition and sometimes they will win stuff at our expense

There may be some seasons where we miss out and 'only' qualify again for the CL in which we will get stronger make no mistake

Sh1t happens. Que sera sera.

Balti said:
dancity19 said:

Rags spent all that money over all those years and still sometimes win fuck all like last season

Success is not guaranteed

I expect us to compete for the league every season from now on and hopefully win it lots of times

I'd expect us to win a good few plus some other trophies including the Champions League

We have serious competition and sometimes they will win stuff at our expense

There may be some seasons where we miss out and 'only' qualify again for the CL in which we will get stronger make no mistake

Sh1t happens. Que sera sera.

Absolutely, it's always hard to gauge. We could play brilliantly and lose out on the league by a point.

I'm just asking where the line is drawn, where would the chairman, and the owner draw that line between success and failure.

I'm not saying they are Roman Abramovic who will see no trophies and immediately sack, but we are in a results game and a trophies game, and there are no prizes for coming second.

Whilst you say United will have seasons without trophies, ever season without a trophy for them will be considered a failure. Are we at the level to have the same standards.

Not saying, after so many years without a trophy, going a year without one won't be good enough, I'm just asking the question.

I think the standard we have to set is to challenge for the league each season, and to aim to win one trophy per season. With the disappointment in Europe, for me personally I'll be disappointed if we don't win the league, but I wouldn't consider it a failure as long as we're there or thereabouts.

BillyShears said:
I think the standard we have to set is to challenge for the league each season, and to aim to win one trophy per season. With the disappointment in Europe, for me personally I'll be disappointed if we don't win the league, but I wouldn't consider it a failure as long as we're there or thereabouts.
This is exactly right for me..concise and reasonable Billy
Now don't let the "fuck off and support Chelsea" chaps pull you down into the madness!

BillyShears said:

Yep, fair enough. It's going to be all about being there or thereabouts for me, come the end of the season.
To say not winning the league would be a failure would be wrong, because it is obviously difficult. But it's about what standards we set for ourselves. The European campaign has placed extra pressure on the league. Had we have progressed in that, even to the quarters you could have forgiven slip ups in the league. If we slip up in the league will the owners see it as acceptable; not sure.<br /><br />-- Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:58 pm --<br /><br />
york away to this! said:
success - top two in prem, FA cup semi final
failure - relegation

I presume the second bit of your post is written very much tongue in cheek?

I'd say success would be to win the League and/or FA Cup

failure would be to win nothing

this season, to win the both league & fa cup with fantastic play means success
winning the league, okay
playing without any passion or winning mentality means failure

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.