World without end.(CH4 Sat)

ifiwasarichfan said:
Pillars of the Earth was more than decent but not a patch on Game of Thrones. I would imagine this new one will be well worth a flick of the Sky + Button.

Spot on Game of Thrones is quality still waiting for the next book to be finished!

Blueinthesouth said:
Having read both the above books I can thoroughly recommend Ken Follett's historical work. As a student of historical architecture his depictions and analysis of building work in the middle ages are well researched and the stories he weaves are compelling. The way he paints corruption, religion and political aspirations in this period, as well as the grim realities faced by ordinary people, make the plot continually intriguing. I would recommend these books to fans of historical fiction, although the TV series was also pretty good and well worth a watch (if a little bit Hollywood!)
When you say a little bit of Hollywood do you mean it dosnt show the dirt grime and black toothed realism that was the average English person(including nobility) of the medieval age.
I cant get into things that dont show how it really was, all the maidens with perfect white teeth and perfect tits it just didnt happen like that but i will still watch it.
There was a great French film on about 5 years ago(cant rememberthe name) about the hundreds year war it was so realistic dirty and grimy that they even shown the French men at arms pissing and crapping on the missiles they were firing over a castles wall as an early form of germ warfare, thats what really happened, not this sanitised versions nowadays

I've just started the third, I finshed the second and was trying to wait until I'd watched the third series as the book is always better.

After rewatching the first two series I decided I couldn't wait 6 months before I read it.

Love Ken Follett's books. Fall Of Giants is pretty good too.

I thought Pillars of the Earth was a bit of lame adaptation of the book. Follet is magnificient as an author dealing with an historical context.

World Without End, the sequel, was not quite as good a book, but still a great read. It focused on the plague years, if I recall correctly.

blue underpants said:
Blueinthesouth said:
Having read both the above books I can thoroughly recommend Ken Follett's historical work. As a student of historical architecture his depictions and analysis of building work in the middle ages are well researched and the stories he weaves are compelling. The way he paints corruption, religion and political aspirations in this period, as well as the grim realities faced by ordinary people, make the plot continually intriguing. I would recommend these books to fans of historical fiction, although the TV series was also pretty good and well worth a watch (if a little bit Hollywood!)
When you say a little bit of Hollywood do you mean it dosnt show the dirt grime and black toothed realism that was the average English person(including nobility) of the medieval age.
I cant get into things that dont show how it really was, all the maidens with perfect white teeth and perfect tits it just didnt happen like that but i will still watch it.
There was a great French film on about 5 years ago(cant rememberthe name) about the hundreds year war it was so realistic dirty and grimy that they even shown the French men at arms pissing and crapping on the missiles they were firing over a castles wall as an early form of germ warfare, thats what really happened, not this sanitised versions nowadays

Yep that's unfortunately exactly what I mean there's some excellent descriptions in the book but they were not translated to the screen. That and the way the story had been edited was a big let down for me. Enjoyable show and as I said watchable, but completely different and far inferior from the book. I imagine that world without end will probably be the same. Unfortunately the realism does not appear as often as it should in these productions. I shall have to try and find that film sounds more promising from a historical point of view? As per the previous poster's question I have not read a dangerous fortune. I am currently reading '1356' by Bernard Cornwell another book I would recommend thus far but read the grail quest series first.

Blueinthesouth said:
blue underpants said:
Blueinthesouth said:

Yep that's unfortunately exactly what I mean there's some excellent descriptions in the book but they were not translated to the screen. That and the way the story had been edited was a big let down for me. Enjoyable show and as I said watchable, but completely different and far inferior from the book. I imagine that world without end will probably be the same. Unfortunately the realism does not appear as often as it should in these productions. I shall have to try and find that film sounds more promising from a historical point of view? As per the previous poster's question I have not read a dangerous fortune. I am currently reading '1356' by Bernard Cornwell another book I would recommend thus far but read the grail quest series first.
Im going to get Follets books and have a good read while im on hols, also whats 1356 about mate is it a Grail quest book

mammutly said:
I thought Pillars of the Earth was a bit of lame adaptation of the book. Follet is magnificient as an author dealing with an historical context.

World Without End, the sequel, was not quite as good a book, but still a great read. It focused on the plague years, if I recall correctly.
Foletts on now on more 4, its all about the plague, horrific.
Cant wait for World Without End at 9

Watched this last night and it was very loosely based on the book. Still a bit clean for me but wasn't terrible, in fact I quite enjoyed it from an entertaining point of view. In response to above, 1356 is similar to the grail quest but involves another 'holy relic' and a bit of a chase around France in the build up to the in many ways forgotten battle of Poitiers. There is no one better for me at describing the realities of medieval battle than Cornwell.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.