Paul Dickov

Like a few on here have commented on, the penalty against Leicester left a bad feeling. We were on the edge of relegation, and I remember being confused about his loyalties. He didn't have to take the penalty, after all, and his reaction was odd.

City weren't paying his wages, but did he want us to go down? It's what I thought at the time.

Yes, he scored that goal at Wembley against Gillingham, but, in reality, all he did was charge around the pitch like a headless chicken, and if he hadn't scored that goal, he would have been lumped in with all the rest of the rubbish we had to watch in those days.

I'll forever be grateful he scored his goal, but other than that, there is little else to remember him for.

citytillidie24 said:
The guy is a City legend, end of discussion. Stop arguing and moaning like a bunch of pricks, guess it's expected on here though eh? 'Oh he kissed another clubs badge once' - who gives a shit? We should all know what Manchester City meant to Paul Dickov and if you don't know... Well you should, he gave everything he had for us in some of our darkest times and that's enough for me.

This 100%. For years we used to say as long as when they pull on that blue shirt they give 100%, they will always be loved and supported, and I've known nothing else since the day my dad took me to my first game. Just because they've gone on to another club and given it their all and kissed the badge to show his commitment to their club, doesn't mean he should be remembered for anything less than what he gave us. Dickov's number was on the back of my first ever shirt, the 1997-98 blue home shirt, and was on my first away shirt as well, the silver shirt from 2000-01. He was my childhood hero and will always be remembered in my eyes for being the most committed player I ever saw wear the blue shirt.

He played for us from 1996 until 2002,probably our lowest time and the rollercoaster yo yo years.He made 158 appearances and scored 35 goals.While never the most gifted of players he ALWAYS gave 100% and sweated blood for the blue shirt,something a lot of players didn't do in those times.Some may see what he did as running about the pitch like a headless chicken doing nothing,i remember it as never giving our opponents a minute to settle,or giving anything up as a lost cause and causing mistakes others profited from.

While everyone is entitled to an opinion it says a lot about SOME of our fans that they prefer to remember one penalty and goal for Leicester and an over celebration,than the goal that without a doubt probably saved our club from going into liquidation.Forget Horlock's goal,as important as it was,if Dickov had balloned that chance over the bar we would probably still be in division two or the championship,if we existed at all.It was THAT serious!

Now i am probably a bit of a sentimental old fool these days but sometimes i could weep when i read some of the stuff some City fans write.....and they wonder why the rags call us bitter.......

paulchapo said:
He played for us from 1996 until 2002,probably our lowest time and the rollercoaster yo yo years.He made 158 appearances and scored 35 goals.While never the most gifted of players he ALWAYS gave 100% and sweated blood for the blue shirt,something a lot of players didn't do in those times.Some may see what he did as running about the pitch like a headless chicken doing nothing,i remember it as never giving our opponents a minute to settle,or giving anything up as a lost cause and causing mistakes others profited from.

While everyone is entitled to an opinion it says a lot about SOME of our fans that they prefer to remember one penalty and goal for Leicester and an over celebration,than the goal that without a doubt probably saved our club from going into liquidation.Forget Horlock's goal,as important as it was,if Dickov had balloned that chance over the bar we would probably still be in division two or the championship,if we existed at all.It was THAT serious!

Now i am probably a bit of a sentimental old fool these days but sometimes i could weep when i read some of the stuff some City fans write.....and they wonder why the rags call us bitter.......

This....and only this!!!

Ducado said:
Are some of us just being miserable and cantankerous for the sake of it?
This pretty much sums the thread up, Ducado. Like I suggested in another thread, people just want to be unhappy about something so they can have a moan every now and again.

Dickov, although not the most gifted player, scored one of the most - if not the most - important goals in City's history and we owe a lot to him. Like Aguero, he was the man on the spot that had to keep his cool and find the finish (and what a finish it was). Although it was important for different reasons to Aguero's goal, it was still a huge moment in our little club's history.

And like Aguero, Dickov could piss up my bedroom wall and shit on my bed and I'd still hug him for what he did for my club, for our club. The celebration against us when he played for Leicester may have left a bitter taste, but another celebration of his should be on posters all over the city. Cheers, Dicky lad.

[bigimg]http://content.mcfc.co.uk//~/media/Images/Home/News/Team%20News/PastPlayers/DickovGills.ashx[/bigimg]

MCFC BOB said:
Ducado said:
Are some of us just being miserable and cantankerous for the sake of it?
This pretty much sums the thread up, Ducado. Like I suggested in another thread, people just want to be unhappy about something so they can have a moan every now and again.

Dickov, although not the most gifted player, scored one of the most - if not the most - important goals in City's history and we owe a lot to him. Like Aguero, he was the man on the spot that had to keep his cool and find the finish (and what a finish it was). Although it was important for different reasons to Aguero's goal, it was still a huge moment in our little club's history.

And like Aguero, Dickov could piss up my bedroom wall and shit on my bed and I'd still hug him for what he did for my club, for our club. The celebration against us when he played for Leicester may have left a bitter taste, but another celebration of his should be on posters all over the city. Cheers, Dicky lad.

[bigimg]http://content.mcfc.co.uk//~/media/Images/Home/News/Team%20News/PastPlayers/DickovGills.ashx[/bigimg]

Go on Bob, I love you when you're like this.

On the chairman's carpet this morning. Looks like the sack.

Shame really, there's never been any money, his staff were all canned a few weeks back and he's just knocked out the dippers to set up a big money tie against Everton.

I am just glad we didn't get Brentford in the next round, some on here would have been crying if Uwe didn't sit on our bench

johnny on the spot said:
On the chairman's carpet this morning. Looks like the sack.

Shame really, there's never been any money, his staff were all canned a few weeks back and he's just knocked out the dippers to set up a big money tie against Everton.

Incredible the way some things pan out. Tremendous win yesterday and it doesn't look good for Dickie!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.