Why do my insurers need to know about damage to my car?

kp789

Yesterday I had to swerve as the car in front of me stopped suddenly. As a result I went up and onto the curb quite harshly. This has probably done some damage to my alloys. Now, because I have a tracker in my car they can see that a potential 'crash' occurred. They rang me and I explained what happened and that I was going to get it checked out. They said that if there was any damage I need to ring and tell them. But why, if I intend to pay for it myself do they need to know?

maybe so that if you have a crash at some point in the future, you can't claim that the damage you have done recently, wasn't caused in that crash, with the cost of repairing it passing to them, or a third party ?

Tell them that you have had the car inspected, and all is fine.
then pay for any damage caused yourself.

honkytonkman187 said:
maybe so that if you have a crash at some point in the future, you can't claim that the damage you have done recently, wasn't caused in that crash, with the cost of repairing it passing to them, or a third party ?

Tell them that you have had the car inspected, and all is fine.
then pay for any damage caused yourself.

I can see what you are saying, but another reason potentially is the value of the car? Because obviously if they pay out in future, they wont want to pay more than its 'worth'

They want to know everything.if you're more prone to accidents etc...all this will be logged and even if you're paying for it yourself.... Your insurance will go up because of previous accidents (now known to them)

Big brother is watching you.

kp789 said:
Yesterday I had to swerve as the car in front of me stopped suddenly. As a result I went up and onto the curb quite harshly. This has probably done some damage to my alloys. Now, because I have a tracker in my car they can see that a potential 'crash' occurred. They rang me and I explained what happened and that I was going to get it checked out. They said that if there was any damage I need to ring and tell them. But why, if I intend to pay for it myself do they need to know?

Cos they keep a database called CUE (Claims and Underwriting exchange) which records all accidents (either reported on the phone or via the tracker device) and is shared between all the insurance companies. This database is also accessed by HPI (who , if you pay them, do vehicle checks when you are buying a car and will let you know if the car you are buying has had any previous damage / repairs.)

Also when you fill in a form for any new insurance the question you will have to answer is

'have you made any claims, been involved in any incidents or suffered any losses whether claimed for or not' and they will check your answer against the CUE database.

Simples* ........but we are not quite at a police state yet.

Why Always Ste said:
They want to know everything.if you're more prone to accidents etc...all this will be logged and even if you're paying for it yourself.... Your insurance will go up because of previous accidents (now known to them)

Big brother is watching you.

Agree deny until you die..<br /><br />-- Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:09 am --<br /><br />
Pigeonho said:
Just do what this guy did:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr0UG2EdVxI[/youtube]

Pidge thank you so much for posting this!! - I literally laughed out loud and am now in the office crying! - "I'm not driving" - "can i see your licence.... NO!"

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.