28 Years Ago Today

manimanc said:
I remember the bournemouth game,we actually cheered their first goal(i think) and then shat our pants when the second went in.....
We was sat on the kippax distraught when the third went in but then everyone went ssshhhh and looked at the scoreboard behind us which said.....
"latest score.....
Leicester 2
palace 2....."
And that meant we just needed a point at bradford...

Cue tricky trevor morely....
At long long last!!!!

That was later though 1989ish? Bishop ripped us a new backside in midfield that day and I'm sure that eye catching performance was the reason Machin bought him in the summer.

We went on some coach that had been hired by some lads from Hurst Cross,it should have been in a museum.
We went in the Trent Bridge at 11 and had been chucked out by 1,a lad who was on the coach tried to grab a birds tits outside as she was stuck in traffic in her TR7.
She took off with her molester trying to keep up on foot,only one result there and he spent the match with his jeans in shreds and us saying the coppers would be looking for him and he'd be easy to find.
Had a bit of trouble in the Trap in Glossop on the way back,with half the coach banged up in Notts.

Santiago Street . said:
Notts County away Bank Holiday Monday the first away game my old man let me go to without him.

If we won we were up. 12000 blues invaded Meadow Lane, most of them pissed as fuck on a boiling hot day. The terrace behind the goal was way overcrowded , massive surges all over the place, fantastic atmosphere.

In typical City style we were 3-0 down pretty quickly I think. Cue fences ripped down, pitch invasion, mounted police, fights everywhere, general fuckin chaos. I have a vague recollection, possibly imagined of Billy McNeill and Jimmy Frizz coming out to calm the fans down.

We lost 3-2 but that set us up for the unforgettable Charlton game the following Saturday

Aaah the good old days
Remember this, what a day. Think this was my first away game.Boiling hot day, pissed up blues everywhere. I think we got a Salford van hire transit with the lads off the height. Remember the fences going and a few scuffles with the police etc. Was this the game where Paul Power missed with a header from a few yards out that would of got us a draw?
Bloody hell im depressed now.....28 years - a frikkin lifetime.

Just took this off a County website

Notts County
Colours:- White shirts with black dual pinstripes, Black shorts, White socks
League Position:- before match 21st/22, after match 20th/22
Manager:- Jimmy Sirrel

1. Mick Leonard
2. Pedro Richards
3. Keith Downing
4. Dean Yates
5. Dave Watson *
6. Steve Sims
7. Mark Goodwin
8. Justin Fashanu
9. Alan Young
10. David Hunt
11. Rachid Harkouk

Sub: Ian McParland *

Manchester City
Colours:- All Sky Blue with white trimmings
League Position:- before match 3rd/22, after match 3rd/22
Manager:- Billy McNeil

1. Alec Williams
2. Kenny Clements
3. Geoff Lomax
4. Nicky Reid
5. Mick McCarthy
6. David Phillips
7. Paul Simpson
8. Andy May
9. Paul Power
10. Neil McNab
11. Steve Kinsey

Sub not used: Steve Redmond

Notes:
Meadow Lane witnessed one of the worst incidents of crowd trouble in its' history on this May bank holiday afternoon. With just two games of the season remaining, 10,000 Manchester City fans flocked to Nottingham hoping to see their team claim the final promotion place, a victory for City would all but mathematically put them out of reach of 4th placed Portsmouth (who were three points behind with an inferior goal difference - there were no play off's in those days). Notts on the other hand were still in with a chance of staying up after a late revival under Jimmy Sirrel following the sacking of Richie Barker. Next to bottom of the table County were now only two points behind 4th bottom Middlesbrough. The first half was probably the most jaw dropping first half display I've ever seen from a Notts team, 3 goals in 13 minutes whipped Notts fans into ecstasy, it was absolutely incredible. Then at half-time the City fans decided to start a riot - Fencing at the Kop end was torn down, supporters ran onto the pitch, a fire extinguisher was let off in the County Road stand and fights broke out. Mounted Police were then called in to try and clear the turf of City fans seemingly hell bent on getting the match abandoned. It was absolute chaos and, as it was a warm afternoon, I was wearing my Admiral pinstripe Notts shirt with no jumper or coat available to cover it, I feared I wouldn't be able to get out of the ground alive! The start of the 2nd half was delayed for 30 minutes with both managers making appeals on the tannoy for calm. Notts lost their momentum in the 2nd half and City staged a fight-back as Notts' former England defender Dave Watson limped off injured (his last appearance for Notts), but somehow County held out. The 3-2 result meant that Notts were now level on points with Middlesbrough (who drew 0-0 at home Birmingham) and were only in the relegation zone because of an inferior goal difference (by 9 goals), County moved above Cardiff City who lost 3-0 at home to Crystal Palace. At the top, Portsmouth's win that day left Manchester City clinging on to 3rd place also by virtue of goal difference. The next day Meadow Lane was national news headlines, I remember seeing a big photograph of a police horse tackling a City hooligan on the front or back page of one of the tabloids. Had TV cameras been present, the scenes at the Notts ground would have undoubtedly been added to the clips of shame that were being gathered to illustrate the demise of English football, this incident coming only weeks after Chelsea had installed an electric fence to keep supporters off the pitch (following a riot v Sunderland) and Millwall fans had been shown tearing out seats to hurl at riot police in a televised match at Luton's Kenilworth Road. It would soon get even worse - The Heysel stadium disaster that resulted in English clubs being banned from all European competitions was only a few weeks away, the Bradford fire would occur even sooner.

paulchapo said:
The Charlton game i remember they had a rookie goalie making his debut,just a kid and he froze on a couple of occasions against Paul Simpson leading to goals.I wonder what happened to him?

We cocked it up big style in another end of season game close to that,1988 i think.We only had to beat Bournemouth at home to be promoted.3-0 up at half time the party started,only for Bournemouth,inspired by Ian Bishop and Luther Blissett to fight back and draw 3-3 with an injury time penalty,meaning we had to get a draw at Bradford on the last day which we did....just!!

That was my first ever City game Bournemouth, my old man took when I was 6 years old. That game set the tone perfectly of what the next 20 years following City would be like :-)

I was there that day, bloody hell 28 years ago!! i feel very old! It was Billy McNeill and Notts Manager Jimmy Sirrell who came on to the pitch to try and calm us down.All i remember is them getting the absolute dogs abuse! Jiimmy Sirrel god rest is soul had a face like a robbers dog!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.