Bert Trautmann - R.I.P

As a young lad growing up, everything was the here and now, I wasn't overly concerned with history. I wasn't particularly interested in past players, I hadn't really known about players that used to play for us.

But I'd heard of Bert Trautmann. I knew he'd played with a broken neck in a cup final, everybody I knew at my age had heard of Bert Trautmann.

He was truly legendary, even me, an eight year old, could only wonder in awe at how he did it.

Legend didn't come close. Later, as I learnt more of his astonishing life, did it become apparent that he was more than that of a mere legend. Something that you can say about very few people.

My condolences go to Bert's familly and friends.

My sincerest thanks go to you Bert for helping to shape my club in to what it is.

God bless you Bert.

He had everything you'd want to find in a person. Humble, respectful and full of quiet dignity. The world would be a better place with more Berts in it for sure. A staggering life story and career - EVERYONE knows about Bert Trautmann. A sad day for his family and Manchester City Football Club. Come on guys, name the new stand after him at least. Or how about starting an annual pre-season match, home one year, away the next, against a German side, with proceeds to a neck & spinal injuries unit? RIP Bert

In an era of modern pampered footballers, it's impossible to imagine any of them living the life that Bert did. Gives true meaning to the word legend.
Can't help but smiling at the fact that he got both the Iron Cross and an OBE.

RIP Bert

TooBlue said:
In an era of modern pampered footballers, it's impossible to imagine any of them living the life that Bert did. Gives true meaning to the word legend.
Can't help but smiling at the fact that he got both the Iron Cross and an OBE.

RIP Bert

Given the pampered life that footballers live in modern times - it seems crazy to think that Bert used to travel to matches (and home afterwards) by bus - would have been the equivalent of the 192 when I was young

The Black Shed said:
He had everything you'd want to find in a person. Humble, respectful and full of quiet dignity. The world would be a better place with more Berts in it for sure. A staggering life story and career - EVERYONE knows about Bert Trautmann. A sad day for his family and Manchester City Football Club. Come on guys, name the new stand after him at least. Or how about starting an annual pre-season match, home one year, away the next, against a German side, with proceeds to a neck & spinal injuries unit? RIP Bert

We are not Werder Bremen (he was born in Bremen but never played for them) but i would love to see my club (FC Schalke 04, we wanted him a long time ago, but he loved to stay at ManCity) versus you in this sort of friendly game every year.

Maybe i should create a petition.

Thank' s for all the people here, who gave all the honour to him!

Great man, great supporters!

I cannot receive the Freeview channel Yesterday(hills and all that) so I just spent 45 mins watching the Bert Trautmann story
on You Tube in three parts.
Great story

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.