City v Newcastle post match thread

There will be bans again in 109 as the ShowSec woman spent the entire 90 minutes telling people to sit down in their eternal attempt to destroy the atmosphere at the Etihad - and when some told her where to go, she had her dreaded pen and paper out taking seat names. City like to change things, I'd propose eradicating the existence of ShowSec from the Etihad and letting the much more tolerant club stewards do the job.

cibaman said:
BillyShears said:
Braggster said:
He's understandably not got some of the attention that Edin, Navas and Ferna have got in the post match analysis, but I thought Yaya was exceptional last night. The subtlety and touch of his basic passing is simply wonderful and he'll be the best deep lying creative midfielder in the league this season if he plays there regularly (which it looks like he will). His accuracy and unerring ability to find quick, incisive passes - long and short - that make life easy for the recipient of the ball, is astonishing. He gets attention for his bulldozing runs and goalscoring ability but his basic passing, for me, is his best attribute. Just a special player, who gets in an all time premiership XI for me.

Very simply ... we'll win the league because of the Fernandinho/Yaya partnership in the centre of midfield. It's just very difficult to see anyone coping with them. I asked earlier in the thread but is there a better pair of central midfield players in England? I really don't think there is. They will eat alive the likes of Carrick, Cleverlely, Ramires, and Lampard.

The games can't come quickly enough as far as I'm concerned. Newcastle may well have been shit, but I can't think of many teams in the world that could've coped with our passing, movement, energy, and physicality last night.

Its a well known fact that Yaya can't pass. Also he's never had a remotely decent game playing in the deeper role.
Haha, yeah, he's well rubbish that Yaya!

I think what Billy says above has some merit but as the rags, sadly, have shown, if you have the right players and game plan you don't always need dominant central midfielders to win in the PL. So while I agree that, in direct match ups against the top sides, Yaya - Ferna should strike fear into our opponents (and thinking back to the Yaya freight-train riding roughshod over Scholes et al gives me great pleasure), that on its own doesn't guarantee us the league - as it's less of a matchwinner in games against the bus-parkers who won't come out from behind the ball.

Where I do think the current partnership will improve us is that it's way, way better at feeding quick ball to our creators, so should help us arrive in dangerous positions before the bus has been parked. The fact that we no longer need Yaya as an attacking option (due to the arrival of Navas and Jovetic) means that the base of our midfield has been massively improved by "releasing" him to play there, but it's Navas, Jovetic and a revitalised Aguero and Dzeko, in particular, who should be key in unlocking parked buses, which was our biggest weakness.

It should go without saying, however, that the Yaya - Fernandinho partnership is critical to our CL success.

andyhinch said:
bobmcfc said:
Impressed with the football last night. Service was even more painfully slow than usual.
The food or the ball, Jesus was screaming for it at the end of the 2nd half.
I started queuing for a pint at 40 minutes and it took. Around 20 minutes to get served still. It's shocking, if you don't go early then you end up missing even more of the second half

Id like to comment on lescot last nite,i know he didnt have alot to do but what he did do he did really well,think hes worth another years contract,he hasnt become a bad player overnight and i think mancini lost faith on last game against qpr in title winning season,a good back up if indeed we do sign a top class centre half.

Fernandinho impressed me the most and would have got my nod as MOTM (But pleased that Edin got it anyway). He showed Arsenal what they have been crying out for and seem destined to never get. He reads the game well, passes the ball brilliantly, and gives his all to win the ball off the opposition. Yes he lost the ball twice going forward but you could see he was desperate to have a strike on goal in his debut home game. I put it down to over exuberance rather than a problem to be concerned about.

Fuzzmaster101 said:
Fernandinho impressed me the most and would have got my nod as MOTM (But pleased that Edin got it anyway). He showed Arsenal what they have been crying out for and seem destined to never get. He reads the game well, passes the ball brilliantly, and gives his all to win the ball off the opposition. Yes he lost the ball twice going forward but you could see he was desperate to have a strike on goal in his debut home game. I put it down to over exuberance rather than a problem to be concerned about.

I thought he made the biggest difference to us last night compared to City last season. Overall, what pleased me most was the greater options the player in possession had compared to last season and also the obvious competition for places meaning NO ONE can rest on their laurels. All the subs were busting their guts to impress (which is exactly how it should be). Good atmosphere last night too.

yalwaysme said:
Id like to comment on lescot last nite,i know he didnt have alot to do but what he did do he did really well,think hes worth another years contract,he hasnt become a bad player overnight and i think mancini lost faith on last game against qpr in title winning season,a good back up if indeed we do sign a top class centre half.

Tackling was excellent as ever......but his ball control and passing was poor, Newcastle deliberately left him free so Joe passed to him

I've just watched the whole 90mins back and we weren't as impressive as I thought we were from my seat in the ground. But still a good performance. We creates some good chances and played at a higher pace than we did last season. A lot more to come I think though.

Atmosphere was flat as a pancake on the coverage. The singing sounded like murmurs in the background and often could hear the players talking.<br /><br />-- Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:22 pm --<br /><br />
LoveCity said:
There will be bans again in 109 as the ShowSec woman spent the entire 90 minutes telling people to sit down in their eternal attempt to destroy the atmosphere at the Etihad - and when some told her where to go, she had her dreaded pen and paper out taking seat names. City like to change things, I'd propose eradicating the existence of ShowSec from the Etihad and letting the much more tolerant club stewards do the job.
At the Warrigton v Widnes Super League game I went to last week, Widnes fans were fighting with ShowSec stewards. Apparently a few Widnes fans took exception to something ShowSec did or said, Showsec then got overly aggressive and a load of Widnes fans kicked the shit out of the ShowSec lot.

kinkysleftfoot said:
yalwaysme said:

Tackling was excellent as ever......but his ball control and passing was poor, Newcastle deliberately left him free so Joe passed to him

I said exactly the same thing to my son. Wouldn't be surprised if he had more touches than anyone else

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.