Firefighters to go on strike

fair play, anyone brave enough to run into a burning building to save others is a true hero.

and to those who say "it's their job" well it's more than that, i'm sure money, pensions and career gain is the last thing going through their head when they're going through the doorway of a building that's about to collapse, it's about bottle.

and if these strikes are successful then they deserve every extra penny.

now teachers... those cunts can fuck off ;)

nimrod said:
hilts said:
What is it with fireman and second jobs? it is hardly a minimum wage job, it because of the four on and four off rota?

when I joined the FS (trained at London Rd M/Cr) you did 12 hour night shift where you could sleep if there were no calls, so you were awake all day next day and most guys had a 2nd job, carpet fitting, decorating etc its not like being a cop or a nurse who arent allowed to sleep at night for obvious reasons.

Its only my opinion (and Im not arguing it with anyone) :) but anyone who joins a public service job should never be allowed to strike, Police, Firemen, Ambo's, Nurses, Teachers, Armed Forces.
I realise I wont be popular on here for my view but its what I believe, if a house sets on fire and kids or disabled/old people are trapped upstairs I (as a trained professional) would never have left it to untrained soldiers with inferior equipment to save them.
Similarly as a nurse my wife would never strike.

The only problem is that doesn't leave them much of a bargaining tool, i have a feeling that firemen have had it pretty good and i understand why they would be pissed off as that is natural. But i would hazard a guess not many will leave the service and if they did there would be quite a large queue waiting to take their place.

I am presuming that fireman cant opt out of their pension and once a fireman leaves he or she is incapable of getting another job?

mcfc1894 said:
my mates a fireman, I respect his job as in if they get a big call out then anything could happen. but fuck me he comes back on his 4 days off and just tells us he's had the odd wheelie bin fire, had to go and put a few smoke alarms up and watched film after film, oh between cleaning the truck. he did his knee in playing cricket the other week, I asked him if he would be ok to work and he just said 'yeah I'll be fine, we never do anything anyway'! no wonder paramedics call them water fairies

Knew it would come eventually.

Whilst your 'mate' is watching all those films he's also expected to risk life and limb or cut dead kids out of cars and stuff. Really cushy number that is eh?

nimrod said:
hilts said:
What is it with fireman and second jobs? it is hardly a minimum wage job, it because of the four on and four off rota?

when I joined the FS (trained at London Rd M/Cr) you did 12 hour night shift where you could sleep if there were no calls, so you were awake all day next day and most guys had a 2nd job, carpet fitting, decorating etc its not like being a cop or a nurse who arent allowed to sleep at night for obvious reasons.

Its only my opinion (and Im not arguing it with anyone) :) but anyone who joins a public service job should never be allowed to strike, Police, Firemen, Ambo's, Nurses, Teachers, Armed Forces.
I realise I wont be popular on here for my view but its what I believe, if a house sets on fire and kids or disabled/old people are trapped upstairs I (as a trained professional) would never have left it to untrained soldiers with inferior equipment to save them.

Armed Forces cannot strike.

What I was alluding to last night if anyone is interested is:

During the strike of 2002/3 and Operation Fresco when the Military were called upon, not only manned the old Green Goddess but were also trained to use the more modern red fire appliance.

Now, many of the lads used during OP Fresco were removed from courses they were on, and some from promotion courses. 2 blokes I know were mid way through a 7 month course, and at the end of said course would have resulted in roughly a £400 a month pay rise. Theses lads were unable to get back onto their course for a further 18 months, not only resulting in a huge loss of pay, but this also had an impact on further promotion and therefore more money, and ultimately will have had an effect on their final pension. A quick bit of maths reveals the cost to many serving members of the Military at an excess of 10 grand if you include further promotion, and that is without calculating final pension.

Our firelighters deserve their pay-rise as they do an incredible job and do it with incredible professionalism and bravery, but I just thought I would point out something probably few knew anything about.

Wretched Vengeance said:
nimrod said:
hilts said:

During the strike of 2002/3 and Operation Fresco when the Military were called upon, not only manned the old Green Goddess but were also trained to use the more modern red fire appliance.

Now, many of the lads used during OP Fresco were removed from courses they were on, and some from promotion courses. 2 blokes I know were mid way through a 7 month course, and at the end of said course would have resulted in roughly a £400 a month pay rise. Theses lads were unable to get back onto their course for a further 18 months, not only resulting in a huge loss of pay, but this also had an impact on further promotion and therefore more money, and ultimately will have had an effect on their final pension. A quick bit of maths reveals the cost to many serving members of the Military at an excess of 10 grand if you include further promotion, and that is without calculating final pension.

Our firelighters deserve their pay-rise as they do an incredible job and do it with incredible professionalism and bravery, but I just thought I would point out something probably few knew anything about.

That not what its about mate. Its about not getting ass fisted over pensions and having to work until you cant do the job anymore to get it, when really what it means is you'll never get it anyway. Its not about a pay rise in any way shape or form

Blue Maverick said:
smeeagain said:
everybodies living standards have been hit hard lately, pensions ,wage increases etc
instead of going on strike , go look for a job with the terms you would like , simples
I did and now they want to change them yet again and also sack me if I can't meet their physical standards at 60!!
Your not in great shape as it is ;)

Uncle Wally One Ball said:
Wretched Vengeance said:
nimrod said:

That not what its about mate. Its about not getting ass fisted over pensions and having to work until you cant do the job anymore to get it, when really what it means is you'll never get it anyway. Its not about a pay rise in any way shape or form

I completely understand that. In 2002/3 it was about the pay-rise. All I was merely doing was pointing out, that when people strike how it can have an affect on others. And in this case it cost friends of mine a lot of money and as I said had an effect on their pension too. Not trying to dis-credit in anyway what these men and women fully deserve.

cant spell-dont care said:
Blue Maverick said:
smeeagain said:
everybodies living standards have been hit hard lately, pensions ,wage increases etc
instead of going on strike , go look for a job with the terms you would like , simples
I did and now they want to change them yet again and also sack me if I can't meet their physical standards at 60!!
Your not in great shape as it is ;)
Still run rings round you young man, as for those people who always bring up,the second job thing, that's a personal choice and the reason they do it is for more money, the women next door to me does two jobs but I'd never slag her off, if that's what she needs to do pay the bills then why not, yes we get a decent wage but if you have skills and the time to earn more then why not,remember they are doing it on their "weekends" there is nothing stopping anyone out there working on their weekends is there? I get one full weekend off in 10 weeks, so lump unsocial hours, working bank holidays etc and its not so appealing to a lot of people, getting time off when you want it's almost impossible without doing personal swaps, anyway I won't go on I still like my job but that's not what the strikes about.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.