Let's not get carried away...

Re:

Walkbustaxi said:
It's still early in the season but games between the 'contenders' keep coming, the next being Spurs v Chelsea on Saturday. Everybody's lost except Everton who have drawn more than they've won. Liverpool seem to be following the two steps forward one step back inconsistency of last year. Arsenal are pace setters but I don't think they have the squad to last the distance. Chelsea can only get better and the rags can't possibly get any worse (can they? Please?)

For me Spurs are the dark horses. They've built a great squad before the inevitable sale of Bale so it didn't affect them. I think them and Chelsea will be our challengers this season. The rest can battle it out for fourth spot.

As for us we just need consistency. Let's not follow up another 4 goal home win with an away game like Cardiff, where we thought all we had to do was turn up Globetrotter style. There are no easy games and Villa will be no pushovers this year but as long as we play the same as the last two games we should get all three points.

We've scored more goals than anyone else, have great possession and yesterday we looked comfortable with and without the ball (that might have been down to the lack of opposition mind!) Also the understanding between players finally seems to be there with some good partnerships between Aguero/Negrado, Fernandinho/Yaya, Jesus/Zab and Nasri/Kolorov (never thought I'd find myself writing that). And Kompany being back works magical wonders to the team that even hardened sport hacks struggle to put into words. If they can add consistency to the above then I think there's no reason why we can't have a go at winning this here Premier League thing.

most people will expect an arsenal fan to say this but i really don't see spurs as title contenders, especially not over us.

they have brought 2 very good players (eriksen and lamela) and 2 just good ones (capoue, paoulinho). does that bridge the gap from loosing bale and a couple of others? maybe, maybe not. but the point is that (in my opinion) they aren't much stronger then they were last season when they finished 5th with the best player in the league in their team.

we (arsenal) on the other hand are much stronger then last season after adding ozil/flamini and also having the massive advantage of an experienced team who have played together for 1-2 seasons already.

don't forget we were in the same position as spurs a couple of years ago when we brought a lot of new players at once, and it took a very long time for them to gel and start playing well as a team. spurs will have the same problem, coupled with a fairly new manager who probably doesn't even know his best team yet.

It's quite simple...

when Manchester City play like they did Sunday, they win every match comfortably. Usually by a 3 goal margin or more. It was like the first 3-4 months under Mancini in 2012, unplayable and teams were shit scared.

We know we can do, we know when we want to we can turn it on and show any team up. But there's a difference between knowing it and actually doing it.

IF we go to Villa and play like that, we'll win 3 or 4-0. I'd happily take a 1-0 in the 87th minute now and play well though.

Mancini for me often held us back and didn't let us do it enough and for some reason became too cautious, if we're able to go out with freedom and play like that starting Saturday against Villa then we'll see a different side.

Forget what Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and United do, we just have to match them.

Best squad in the league, let them worry about us.

Consistency is the key, consistency is the main word here.

cleavers said:
Didsbury Dave said:
It was one of the best city performances I've seen in 35 years+.
I'd agree, and said it was the best we had played in a long time, I rank the win at Newcastle in the title winning season very highly just because of the pressure that game had on it, having beaten united to go back top, we simply had to win that game, and we did it in style, and quite powerfully, but I thought yesterday's first half was better. I'd also go so far as to say yesterday was much more of a statement to united than the 6-1, that was a spectacular result, but it wasn't as good a performance for me, because we didn't dominate as much as we did yesterday, or for such long periods.

As for not getting carried away, its a good mantra that most will miss, and a defeat at the weekend will see the same spectacular wind change we've seen this week.

I sincerely hope that yesterday becomes our norm, because if it does, we're in for a very very exciting time, but I'll wait a while before assuming it is. Minor tweaks in how we played yesterday compared to previous games made a huge difference to the overall outcome, and if those tweaks are going to be replicated then we will carry on winning.

Its not just about "wanting it more" as Vinny said, it was about a desire to become the best, and don't let the media, or the rags tell you it was down to their failings, we made them look shite, because we were that good.

More of the same please.
Sums it up

Re: Re:

afc16 said:
Walkbustaxi said:
It's still early in the season but games between the 'contenders' keep coming, the next being Spurs v Chelsea on Saturday. Everybody's lost except Everton who have drawn more than they've won. Liverpool seem to be following the two steps forward one step back inconsistency of last year. Arsenal are pace setters but I don't think they have the squad to last the distance. Chelsea can only get better and the rags can't possibly get any worse (can they? Please?)

For me Spurs are the dark horses. They've built a great squad before the inevitable sale of Bale so it didn't affect them. I think them and Chelsea will be our challengers this season. The rest can battle it out for fourth spot.

As for us we just need consistency. Let's not follow up another 4 goal home win with an away game like Cardiff, where we thought all we had to do was turn up Globetrotter style. There are no easy games and Villa will be no pushovers this year but as long as we play the same as the last two games we should get all three points.

We've scored more goals than anyone else, have great possession and yesterday we looked comfortable with and without the ball (that might have been down to the lack of opposition mind!) Also the understanding between players finally seems to be there with some good partnerships between Aguero/Negrado, Fernandinho/Yaya, Jesus/Zab and Nasri/Kolorov (never thought I'd find myself writing that). And Kompany being back works magical wonders to the team that even hardened sport hacks struggle to put into words. If they can add consistency to the above then I think there's no reason why we can't have a go at winning this here Premier League thing.

most people will expect an arsenal fan to say this but i really don't see spurs as title contenders, especially not over us.

they have brought 2 very good players (eriksen and lamela) and 2 just good ones (capoue, paoulinho). does that bridge the gap from loosing bale and a couple of others? maybe, maybe not. but the point is that (in my opinion) they aren't much stronger then they were last season when they finished 5th with the best player in the league in their team.

we (arsenal) on the other hand are much stronger then last season after adding ozil/flamini and also having the massive advantage of an experienced team who have played together for 1-2 seasons already.

don't forget we were in the same position as spurs a couple of years ago when we brought a lot of new players at once, and it took a very long time for them to gel and start playing well as a team. spurs will have the same problem, coupled with a fairly new manager who probably doesn't even know his best team yet.

In case you haven't found it already, If you look on the 'general football forum' you will see a thread about arsenal specifically. As you seem like a decent bloke who is knowledgable about their club and is interested in a discussion without it being a shouting match, I'd say if your input on that thread would be much appreciated.

My two penn'orth FWIW is that arsenal are too prone to lapses to mount a genuine title challenge. On your day you can beat any team in the league, but so can spurs, and Liverpool. On their day. I don't see any as mounting a consistent and sustained challenge for long enough to be genuine title contenders. Time will tell.

But i can say I won't be surprised to see spurs finish below arsenal. Enjoy St tottenham's day next spring ;)

bigf42 said:
cibaman said:
We were also fully entitled to be giddy after the 1-6.

Still found ourselves 8 points behind them before winning the league in injury time.

Its not surprising that some are avoiding full throttle gidyness

There is a big difference between Gollum gawping like a rabbit stuck in the headlights with all his woodison buddies, and the GPC with his backroom staff 2 years ago. Absolutely no Giddiness but this season IMO Arsenal are the major threat, as correctly articulated in the post above.

That lot will be lucky to make the Europa League, Spurs and the Scousers are all ahead of them in terms of performance levels this season, and we need to kick on because United are no longer the benchmark...

United could/should easily win their next 5 games, some of the clubs above them will drop points and they'll move up the table. If they then beat Arsenal, against whom they have a very good recent record, they'll be talking about Sunday as a mere blip, just as they did after the 1-6.

In 2008/09, the year they lost 1-4 to Liverpool, they had a terrible record against the teams around them in the table. They weren't that good and were often found out in big games. But they picked up 58 points out of 60 against the bottom 10 to win the league. They might not match that this year but I think they'll have a similar season.

They are very, very good at accumulating points against weaker teams. Most of the weaker teams are beaten before they walk out at OT. They have perfected the art of winning away from home, often with late winners. They rarely drop points by drawing to teams in the bottom half. They're not going to lose that knack in one season.

I don't really think they'll win the title this season. But talk of them trailing off in 4th or 5th place is wildly optimistic. They'll be in the mix in April.

cibaman said:
bigf42 said:
cibaman said:
We were also fully entitled to be giddy after the 1-6.

Still found ourselves 8 points behind them before winning the league in injury time.

Its not surprising that some are avoiding full throttle gidyness

There is a big difference between Gollum gawping like a rabbit stuck in the headlights with all his woodison buddies, and the GPC with his backroom staff 2 years ago. Absolutely no Giddiness but this season IMO Arsenal are the major threat, as correctly articulated in the post above.

That lot will be lucky to make the Europa League, Spurs and the Scousers are all ahead of them in terms of performance levels this season, and we need to kick on because United are no longer the benchmark...

United could/should easily win their next 5 games, some of the clubs above them will drop points and they'll move up the table. If they then beat Arsenal, against whom they have a very good recent record, they'll be talking about Sunday as a mere blip, just as they did after the 1-6.

In 2008/09, the year they lost 1-4 to Liverpool, they had a terrible record against the teams around them in the table. They weren't that good and were often found out in big games. But they picked up 58 points out of 60 against the bottom 10 to win the league. They might not match that this year but I think they'll have a similar season.

They are very, very good at accumulating points against weaker teams. Most of the weaker teams are beaten before they walk out at OT. They have perfected the art of winning away from home, often with late winners. They rarely drop points by drawing to teams in the bottom half. They're not going to lose that knack in one season.

I don't really think they'll win the title this season. But talk of them trailing off in 4th or 5th place is wildly optimistic. They'll be in the mix in April.

True but that was a rags team under a top top manager not this imposter who has won fuck all

Well bollocks to all you doom and gloom miserable bugers. It is Tuesday and I'm still giddy.

Freestyler said:
It's quite simple...

when Manchester City play like they did Sunday, they win every match comfortably. Usually by a 3 goal margin or more. It was like the first 3-4 months under Mancini in 2012, unplayable and teams were shit scared.

We know we can do, we know when we want to we can turn it on and show any team up. But there's a difference between knowing it and actually doing it.

IF we go to Villa and play like that, we'll win 3 or 4-0. I'd happily take a 1-0 in the 87th minute now and play well though.

Mancini for me often held us back and didn't let us do it enough and for some reason became too cautious, if we're able to go out with freedom and play like that starting Saturday against Villa then we'll see a different side.

It was the lack of this last year in all the Rags rivals that handed the title to the worst MANUre side in a generation! Oh but for the grace of Dick v MIffy!

How many goals have we slapped past them in the last 4 games against them?

13/14??????

Just like playing Burnley now for me.

Freestyler said:
It's quite simple...

Yes.<br /><br />-- Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:21 pm --<br /><br />
Ducado said:
cleavers said:
Didsbury Dave said:
It was one of the best city performances I've seen in 35 years+.
I'd agree, and said it was the best we had played in a long time, I rank the win at Newcastle in the title winning season very highly just because of the pressure that game had on it, having beaten united to go back top, we simply had to win that game, and we did it in style, and quite powerfully, but I thought yesterday's first half was better. I'd also go so far as to say yesterday was much more of a statement to united than the 6-1, that was a spectacular result, but it wasn't as good a performance for me, because we didn't dominate as much as we did yesterday, or for such long periods.

As for not getting carried away, its a good mantra that most will miss, and a defeat at the weekend will see the same spectacular wind change we've seen this week.

I sincerely hope that yesterday becomes our norm, because if it does, we're in for a very very exciting time, but I'll wait a while before assuming it is. Minor tweaks in how we played yesterday compared to previous games made a huge difference to the overall outcome, and if those tweaks are going to be replicated then we will carry on winning.

Its not just about "wanting it more" as Vinny said, it was about a desire to become the best, and don't let the media, or the rags tell you it was down to their failings, we made them look shite, because we were that good.

More of the same please.
Sums it up

And, Yes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.