Positives From Our Blackest Night In Beswick

They may have played us off the park, but recall the 3 goals they scored, they weren't a consequence of amazing team work, they were a consequence of poor defending.

I know that sounds a rather weak statement but look at the goals. Ribery did it all himself, Joe fluffed it completely, and closing him down before he could have had a shot off would have been useful, but not necessary to stop the shot.

Muller's goal was Clichy showing how terrible he actually is... it was seriously pathetic in every aspect you look at it.

Robben completely decimated Nastasic and Joe finger tipped another inside post ball.

The positive is that the goals we conceded weren't down to their amazing teamwork, it was because they had outstanding players and ours were severely under par - not at their best, if they were it may have been a different story despite how pretty their football looked.

Hopefully another positive is Pellegrini learns a harsh lesson about what a good lineup and formation looks like. They were effective in getting the ball back because of the formation of the players, and at all times 3 players were chasing to get the ball back.

I am looking and I can't find any!

That a team with our potential and ability should get so embarrassed, I am still fuming about it Chelsea held these to a draw FFS, I don’t care if they beat Barcelona 7-0 on aggregate, I don’t care if they are current champions of Europe, there are no positives from last night whatsoever, a complete disaster

I hope that it may be a cathartic game, that actually makes the higher echelons of the club wake up to what is happening

I can think of other black nights in Beswick.

Reading beating us, Blackburn hammering us to name two.

Ducado said:
I am looking and I can't find any!

That a team with our potential and ability should get so embarrassed, I am still fuming about it Chelsea held these to a draw FFS, I don’t care if they beat Barcelona 7-0 on aggregate, I don’t care if they are current champions of Europe, there are no positives from last night whatsoever, a complete disaster

I hope that it may be a cathartic game, that actually makes the higher echelons of the club wake up to what is happening

Let's see the response on Saturday.

Expectations on Bluemoon are not at a sensible level. Bayern are one of the best, if not the best team in Europe. We are nowhere near that level. It doesn't matter how many threads there are saying we have the best squad, the best strikers etc., we are nobodies in Europe.
We may get through the knock out stages with two home wins in our remaining fixtures but lets not kid ourselves that we are going to terrorise Europe just yet.
The Premier League has to be our main focus as we MAY be able to compete again this season. We have new players bedding in, players coming back from injury, a goalkeeper who is the media whipping boy and a manager trying to find his feet and decide his best starting eleven.

"Typical City" is also alive and kicking after our FA Cup Final performance against Wigan and our wretched away form.

We have won one league title in recent times and are still learning our trade in the Champions League. We are a good team but by no means a great team.<br /><br />-- Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:37 am --<br /><br />Expectations on Bluemoon are not at a sensible level. Bayern are one of the best, if not the best team in Europe. We are nowhere near that level. It doesn't matter how many threads there are saying we have the best squad, the best strikers etc., we are nobodies in Europe.
We may get through the knock out stages with two home wins in our remaining fixtures but lets not kid ourselves that we are going to terrorise Europe just yet.
The Premier League has to be our main focus as we MAY be able to compete again this season. We have new players bedding in, players coming back from injury, a goalkeeper who is the media whipping boy and a manager trying to find his feet and decide his best starting eleven.

"Typical City" is also alive and kicking after our FA Cup Final performance against Wigan and our wretched away form.

We have won one league title in recent times and are still learning our trade in the Champions League. We are a good team but by no means a great team.

Mike N said:
It was pretty awful but not our Blackest Night in Beswick. We got a spanking from the best team in the world. In fact I think that was the best team I've ever seen. Might be a bit O.T.T. but I've been watching City for nearly 40 years and I cant think of a team that would have lived with Bayern last night.

We can get over it.

I'd have to agree with you .....

Bayern have matured into an exceptional side , some of their football and movement last night was truly staggering ... brilliant one touch football made to look easy by great players who knew exactly what to do , and aided all the way by a completely focused manager on the touchline ...... Ribery , Robben and Dante are fantastic players , and the workrate of their entire side had to be seen to be believed.

For 70-75 minutes last night we struggled to even get near the ball , although we hardly helped ourselves when we did manage to get it , by conceding possession easily again ....

the way they closed us down , their workrate ... both first class

We won't meet a better side than that ...... they were , without any doubt , THE best visiting side i've seen play on our ground in my 44 years of watching City.

MP seemed reluctant to react to the situation on the pitch, and when the same players came out for the second half the result was a foregone conclusion. I found that the most worrying aspect.
There was a 'collective' effort from BM as they swarmed around whoever had possession yet without leaving gaps, this needs a level of fitness we seem incapable of. Another worrying aspect.
If we carry on without learning from this, particularly tactics-wise then last night was a waste, but if it is seen as a valuable lesson then the future will be brighter.
The only positive for me was the class shown by our fans in applauding the BM team.

tiggsywiggsywoo said:
At least we got to see what a master tactician our manager is.

Jesus Christ! That's support for you.

Were you one of those who booed at half time against Hull?

Not so many positives, but here's a few

1. David Silva, does what he does best. Changes a game all by himself, the proper David Silva and hopefully he'll be back to his best.

2. Aguero's effort and work, never gave up in probably one of the most frustrating games in a City shirt. Don't really know if i can count it as a positive, but i will due to his commitment and effort for the team once again on a bad night.

3. When we can, we can play good football. The formation change came too late, but that moment when it did change and we played better just shows we can be brilliant. Just a shame it came too late and the game was gone, Pellegrini got it wrong and he knows it.

4. The redhead in the blue jeans sat infront of me on my right, come again Saturday. I was in love, you could crack walnuts on her arse.

that's about it.

bellbuzzer said:
There was a 'collective' effort from BM as they swarmed around whoever had possession yet without leaving gaps, this needs a level of fitness we seem incapable of. Another worrying aspect.

Unvbelieveable the way they closed us down all over the pitch .... they never seemed to tire .... even when we did manage to get the ball they were at us in numbers , in seconds , and before we knew it possession had been lost ..

The one true bit of class we showed all night was in Negredos goal , truly a world class bit of skill in it's creation , and a strike to match ........ although David Silvas ball to play Yaya in for the sending off is also worth considering.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.