First Book You Loved

As a child, it was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Danny Champion of the World, and the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. All of them are magical books. I am currently reading TLTW&W to my 4 year old.

As an adult, I loved Vurt by Jeff Noon - Droylsden's finest export. I am not a science fiction fan, bar some of the output from Noon and William Gibson. Vurt is beautifully written. His use of alliteration and similie makes it read like poem. It appears disjointed but that is because it is fast paced and Noon has a great skill in bringing together what appear to be two disparate parts of the story and then knitting them together beautifully. Highly recommended.

Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach....I'm still flying fast and away from the pack

The first book I remember finishing and then immediately starting again was the Iliad, in translation, at around 9.

Did it in Greek later and it was even better - I must have dozens of different translations now, including my own and still pick them up all the time.

As a kid I loved the Roald Dahl books, especially the BFG, but what got me hooked as an adult was The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth. I've read everything he's ever written and they are nothing less than superb.

At Secondary School in the early 1960`s someone managed to bring in their Mums copy of "Lady Chatterleys Lover" which way back then was very horny.The testosterone levels of all 12/13 year old boys reached a dramatic level,with socks,hankies and tissues on full alert.

The BFG or Jurassic Park.

Both were Christmas presents from an Aunty, loved both of them and read them over and over.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.