'Wow' Moments in Video Games

An old PC game in the mid to late 90's called Taskforce 1942. It involved the US naval fleet during the Guadalcanal campaign. You could take over the whole fleet, transferring command between ships and sailing them where ever around the islands. The major wow factor was engaging the Japanese fleet one day and we sailed right into the middle of them like something out of the time of sailing ships. Battleships firing off rounds point blank at each other in pretty great detail for the time. It was just a really complicated but detailed and thorough game.

And has been said Goldeneye on N64, the 4 player death match. Even to this day I don't think there's anything that comes close to the joy of that game when you first played it with your mates. God knows how many days I played that with friends, just an amazingly fun game.

acquiesce said:
An old PC game in the mid to late 90's called Taskforce 1942. It involved the US naval fleet during the Guadalcanal campaign. You could take over the whole fleet, transferring command between ships and sailing them where ever around the islands. The major wow factor was engaging the Japanese fleet one day and we sailed right into the middle of them like something out of the time of sailing ships. Battleships firing off rounds point blank at each other in pretty great detail for the time. It was just a really complicated but detailed and thorough game.

And has been said Goldeneye on N64, the 4 player death match. Even to this day I don't think there's anything that comes close to the joy of that game when you first played it with your mates. God knows how many days I played that with friends, just an amazingly fun game.

Seems fun, did you try Battlestations Midway, or its sequel Battlestations Pacific(on 360 and ps3)? It even had online multiplayer for you to do battle, shame its a few years old now as it will be almost impossible to get a game.

Rocket-footed kolarov said:
acquiesce said:

Seems fun, did you try Battlestations Midway, or its sequel Battlestations Pacific(on 360 and ps3)? It even had online multiplayer for you to do battle, shame its a few years old now as it will be almost impossible to get a game.

its still for sale on amazon and at play.com mate

shadygiz said:
Rocket-footed kolarov said:
acquiesce said:

its still for sale on amazon and at play.com mate

Should have worded that better, but I meant game as in online battle, last time I tried to on console it was a no-hoper. There must be a good online community on PC though.

Being able to look through the iron sights on the first Call of Duty. This was a huge contribution to making FPS a lot better and more realistic.

Fifa 08 made football gaming more realistic, it was a huge step away from a PES like arcade football game where a player would skip past 5 players and score. EA sports had a huge focus on passing and making tackling harder.

Call of duty Modern warfare 2 episode where you had to shoot all of the civilians.

An old rpg called Vandal Hearts that was on the psone. There's a point in the game when your party splits up and you only have control of half your men. A battle starts and you are hopelessly outnumbered. I tried this battle about 5 times and kept dying. The controller had been flung against the wall at least twice. On the final attempt I got just that little bit further into the game. Just as I was about to die for the 6th time, a wall collapses and the other half of your men burst through and join the battle. I actually cheered when it happened.

Despite the huge improvement in graphics, none of the new games are as enjoyable or as playable as some of the early rpg's. Shining Force 1&2 and Vandal Hearts can still give new games a run for their money.

has been said already but the dogs jumping through window in resident evil 1,now that was some scary shit,it made you jump even though you knew it was coming.perfect dark with the laptop guns was cool as fuck,used to spend hours playing with mates in the 4 player mode.but for me the most wow moment is paying around £350-£400 for the sega saturn with games,total waste of money.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.