Nasri and the 'Quenelle'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Davs 19 said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
levets said:
Agree... seems even PB is capable of a stupid brainless comment now and then....
I disagree. I was asking the question as to why an Algerian or Moroccan in France could justify hating Jews because of the existence of Israel. Something which had absolutely no impact on them. I can certainly understand why someone who was directly affected would. It was a very apt comparison. Do Catholics attack Protestants in France or the USA because of the situation in Northern Ireland? Because Marvin (a poster I have huge respect for by the way) suggested that Arabs might be entitled to do the same to Jews because of Israel.

Get all that PB. It was the the sentence I emboldened in your original post that caused me a problem:

" it was plain-old fashioned European/Christian Jew hatred"

I hope you can understand why.

Not really: I don't think PB was making a sweeping generalisation.

OB1 said:
Davs 19 said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
I disagree. I was asking the question as to why an Algerian or Moroccan in France could justify hating Jews because of the existence of Israel. Something which had absolutely no impact on them. I can certainly understand why someone who was directly affected would. It was a very apt comparison. Do Catholics attack Protestants in France or the USA because of the situation in Northern Ireland? Because Marvin (a poster I have huge respect for by the way) suggested that Arabs might be entitled to do the same to Jews because of Israel.

Get all that PB. It was the the sentence I emboldened in your original post that caused me a problem:

Not really: I don't think PB was making a sweeping generalisation.

Fair enough. I and some others did.

regista said:
ayrshire_blue said:
Eccles Blue said:
I was not trivialising it I was saying that these days we almost cannot do anything at all without someone finding fault with it. Read the whole post and quote the whole post because that shows I am not trivialising!!

Plus, just for your information I am not a fella!!! :-)

I agree entirely but that's not the case with Nasri. If he had done a full blown Nazi salute would you still be complaining that we can't do anything these days?? My point is he's made a gesture that not here, but in France, seems to be a well known offensive gesture - whether towards Jews or not. And in his words he's done it to support a friend - who just happens to have numerous convictions for anti semetic offences. Not saying he should be hung drawn and quartered but it's a tad stupid. He's since apologised and I hope a line is drawn under it there.

And I'm sorry for the fella part...my bad! :-)

is it really a "well known offensive gesture" ? or is a gesture that some people have "interpreted as "offensive" ?

I'm not offended by the Nazi salute, personally. But it's a well known offensive gesture. In France, this appears to be a similar case with the quenelle. I'm not arguing whether it is anti semetic or not, I'm just saying it's probably best not to do it, especially since it seems to be getting plenty of media attention across the water.

levets said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
alanblue said:
Alright Prestwich Blue lets call it a fucking day eh !
Draw aline under it and move on.
I'm happy to draw a line under the Anelka/Nasri incidents but I'm not letting this fish off the hook. I want to know what exactly regista believes about the Holocaust.

Why?

If he doesn't believe it and is in denial, then he is an idiot...
However, he has the right to be an idiot.
This is right...what if he comes out and says he doesn't believe the holocaust happened, you can't be thinking of banning him because he has a different opinion and if that is his belief do you believe you can change his opinion....I think probably not....so as someone said earlier probably best to let it go

Davs 19 said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
levets said:
Agree... seems even PB is capable of a stupid brainless comment now and then....

Same for me... implying historically Christians hate Jews...

Hamann Pineapple said:
Samir Nasri Official ‏@SamNasri19 46s

The pose in the picture i posted over 2 months ago symbolises being against the system.

Samir Nasri Official ‏@SamNasri19 1m

Its has absolutely nothing to do with being anti semitic or against jewish people. I apologise for causing any hurt to anyone who might have

Samir Nasri Official ‏@SamNasri19 1m

been mislead into thinking this means anything of that nature

Well said.

levets said:
Davs 19 said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

Same for me... implying historically Christians hate Jews...

I think you are reading something into PB's words that isn't there. He wasn't characterising the extent of the hatred; just the source.

ayrshire_blue said:
regista said:
ayrshire_blue said:
I agree entirely but that's not the case with Nasri. If he had done a full blown Nazi salute would you still be complaining that we can't do anything these days?? My point is he's made a gesture that not here, but in France, seems to be a well known offensive gesture - whether towards Jews or not. And in his words he's done it to support a friend - who just happens to have numerous convictions for anti semetic offences. Not saying he should be hung drawn and quartered but it's a tad stupid. He's since apologised and I hope a line is drawn under it there.

And I'm sorry for the fella part...my bad! :-)

is it really a "well known offensive gesture" ? or is a gesture that some people have "interpreted as "offensive" ?

I'm not offended by the Nazi salute, personally. But it's a well known offensive gesture. In France, this appears to be a similar case with the quenelle. I'm not arguing whether it is anti semetic or not, I'm just saying it's probably best not to do it, especially since it seems to be getting plenty of media attention across the water.

From what I understand, it is zionist groups and some french politcians who are calling it offensive.

the person who invented this gesture said that it's nothing offensive, so why should we inteprete it as offensive?

Nasri-gestureJPG-6455066.jpg

my dads jewish......i personaly find nasris choice of head where more offensive

Regardless of their intention the mere fact it can be interpreted as offensive should tell both Nasri and Anelka to stay well clear of it.

Stick to that butterfly thingy in future Nic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.