Sky Sports 3 year deal with GAA

leighton

Wow Sky have got the rights to GAA from the summer on this is some brilliant news for the UK Irish over there 20 games a season which is something else. Also for the UK sports fans this is 1 of the greatest amatur sports worldwide. Its all about the passion of wearing your counties colors and playing for your county all these players all work day to day jobs. Then train and play a very high tempo game. IF you took the NFL then have a look at the GAA Football this season. Also add into the mix the skill of the hurling as well a quick sport with great skill involved. So it going to give a lot of people a something different to look at in the summers up and coming for 3 years. There will be many new fans made over there in the UK also get down to watch London playing in the championship games too in the football.

leighton said:
Wow Sky have got the rights to GAA from the summer on this is some brilliant news for the UK Irish over there 20 games a season which is something else. Also for the UK sports fans this is 1 of the greatest amatur sports worldwide. Its all about the passion of wearing your counties colors and playing for your county all these players all work day to day jobs. Then train and play a very high tempo game. IF you took the NFL then have a look at the GAA Football this season. Also add into the mix the skill of the hurling as well a quick sport with great skill involved. So it going to give a lot of people a something different to look at in the summers up and coming for 3 years. There will be many new fans made over there in the UK also get down to watch London playing in the championship games too in the football.

Do you think there will be an element of the commentators trying to dumb it down so us English folk can understand what's happening. If so, I'll give it a bash....

softlad said:
leighton said:

Do you think there will be an element of the commentators trying to dumb it down so us English folk can understand what's happening. If so, I'll give it a bash....

I watched the Sky News clip about them getting the rights and they have dumbed it down already. The presenters dont have a fucking clue and the same goes for the researchers who messed up big time with some of the things they said. I think this will grow in the UK. Its a good sport the rules are simple.

In football your aloud to take 3 to 4 steps then you have to bounce or solo the ball. After every bounce you got to solo the ball again or kick it. Its a harder game and the reffing in it is ok. You will see a lot of things in football that get players sent off for little or nothing in this they get away with it at times it could be a few clashes around the pitch. Also last season they brought in hawheye in the games at Croke Park which is needed more so in the hurling. I think the other big stadiums might get it too. I think you will get some good presenters in and around the set up. You need to as 14 of the 20 games are exclusive Ireland and UK rights so Irish people will be looking at it and hoping it doesnt get dumbed down. There are former football players from Ireland who went on to play in the priemier league or top flight football.
The most famous would be Pat Jennings and Kevin Moran who won 2 All Ireland finals with the Dubs before playing English football. Even the likes of Niall Quinn played some GAA Hurling as did Shane Long too so there is a good few who played both. I think they will get a good line up of presenters and analysts to cover it. So I think for that alone it might well be a improvement on RTE and TV3. Saying that they do need to tell it how they see it and not sugar coat anything. As most GAA fans are not stupid.

leighton said:
softlad said:
leighton said:

I watched the Sky News clip about them getting the rights and they have dumbed it down already. The presenters dont have a fucking clue and the same goes for the researchers who messed up big time with some of the things they said. I think this will grow in the UK. Its a good sport the rules are simple.

In football your aloud to take 3 to 4 steps then you have to bounce or solo the ball. After every bounce you got to solo the ball again or kick it. Its a harder game and the reffing in it is ok. You will see a lot of things in football that get players sent off for little or nothing in this they get away with it at times it could be a few clashes around the pitch. Also last season they brought in hawheye in the games at Croke Park which is needed more so in the hurling. I think the other big stadiums might get it too. I think you will get some good presenters in and around the set up. You need to as 14 of the 20 games are exclusive Ireland and UK rights so Irish people will be looking at it and hoping it doesnt get dumbed down. There are former football players from Ireland who went on to play in the priemier league or top flight football.
The most famous would be Pat Jennings and Kevin Moran who won 2 All Ireland finals with the Dubs before playing English football. Even the likes of Niall Quinn played some GAA Hurling as did Shane Long too so there is a good few who played both. I think they will get a good line up of presenters and analysts to cover it. So I think for that alone it might well be a improvement on RTE and TV3. Saying that they do need to tell it how they see it and not sugar coat anything. As most GAA fans are not stupid.

Best of luck to them trying to explain/understand the "Nash" situation. ;)

-- Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:35 pm --

The father will be thrilled. Hurling is without question the best sport in the world. The skill level alone is amazing to watch, and it blows my mind that only Irish people know about it.
I think, while I can see why people are annoyed about it, but it's only a couple of games they won't see and at the end of the day, if they want to see it, they'll go to the pub or shockingly might actually go to a match.
I'm for it, I'm for displaying the sport to the rest of the world but I just hope that Sky does it right, get actual people who know what they're talking about to cover it.

Mdr said:
leighton said:
softlad said:

Best of luck to them trying to explain/understand the "Nash" situation. ;)

-- Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:35 pm --

The father will be thrilled. Hurling is without question the best sport in the world. The skill level alone is amazing to watch, and it blows my mind that only Irish people know about it.
I think, while I can see why people are annoyed about it, but it's only a couple of games they won't see and at the end of the day, if they want to see it, they'll go to the pub or shockingly might actually go to a match.
I'm for it, I'm for displaying the sport to the rest of the world but I just hope that Sky does it right, get actual people who know what they're talking about to cover it.

Hurling and Gaelic football are brilliant, but the only reason people over here don't really follow it is because of the ultra-insular nature of the GAA. They must've had some sort of seismic shift at the top to do this deal with Sky.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.