Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Etihad Campus, Stadium Development and Collar Site (cont

petrusha said:
moggymoz said:
Can see a train station coming along in the not too distant future ;)

I've been banging on about this for years. When City moved to the new stadium, they looked at the goods line that runs by the west side of the stadium and the possibility of reopening it for passenger traffic. At the time it wasn't financially viable, but developments since then could change that, I suspect.

DiscoSteve said:
there are TWO top quality wet pitches right now close to the Centre Buildings - as far as I can see it will be reduced to just one pitch either in the centre of the stadium or right down far end

I think the Greyhound Stadium will be OK - it is just reverting back to what it was, a Greyhound-exclusive stadium - whether the loss of revenue because of the move away of speedway will kill it or not is the only question

This story is one of many stating that the two hockey pitches will be replaced by a single 3G grass pitch for multi-sport use (football, hockey and others) - <a class="postlink" href="http://www.itv.com/news/granada/2013-04-10/10m-belle-vue-sports-village-plans-unveiled/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.itv.com/news/granada/2013-04 ... -unveiled/</a>

In addition, it appears that the grass pitch in the middle of the speedway stadium will now be a school/community rugby league pitch. Original reports suggested that it would be used to host major hockey events, but I can't really see hockey and RL being compatible.

I don't know much about hockey anyway, but a guy who does tells me that grass pitches - even 3G - aren't great for the sport, and they've lost one of their pitches as well so you can see why the hockey community are unhappy. And I'm not thrilled, either: the new stuff at Belle Vue sports village is great, but surely the point is to build on the sports facilities East Manchester currently offers, not lose some as we acquire others? Maybe something can be done for hockey at the Beswick Hub?

On another tack, being abroad now I don't follow stuff like this, but I did speak to someone recently who's been quite good in the past for information about the developments on the Etihad Campus. He suggested that he still thought a professional rugby (union) club will end up playing in East Manc. The only possibility I see for this is if the athletics arena is relocated (as the Council, in the Eastlands Regeneration Framework, has suggested may happen eventually if commercially viable plans are put forward for redeveloping the land to the west of the stadium).

Given that the collar site will be done in phases and we don't even yet know officially what's going on that land, we're presumably talking the 2020s before that can happen. However, I do note that Sale's move to Salford really hasn't worked out and they were reported in the middle of the season just ended to be looking at options for a new home: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/sale-sharks-may-move-again-6650602" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... in-6650602</a>

None of the options suggested seems a good fit for anything other than a temporary base given that they want somewhere in the centre of Greater Manchester. I've always believed that at or adjacent to the Etihad Campus would be a good fit for them, and I believe there are people with much more clout than I have who think the same.

This is obviously speculative on my part. Still, I thought I'd throw it out there given that I heard it mentioned again recently.

As you know Abu Dhabi and Rugby Union have a long history.

moggymoz said:
fbloke said:
CityStu said:
Can anyone point me towards a map of the collar site? Got a feeling it's larger than the picture I have in my head!

34ih1kh.png

The collar site is the area to the right of the stadium in this image.

There is a wider area to the north and east that City already own and other parcels of land that will fall under the control of the MCFC/MCC JV (joint venture)

Can see a train station coming along in the not too distant future ;)

500 mts south of Ashton New Rd there was a junction that split the line, one led to Ashburys and remains open, the other line went to the north of Ardwick stn, the viaducts are intact and would not cost a fortune to renew this would allow a shuttle service to operate Picc to Vic.
If the Etihad grows to 60000 plus a station next to the stadium would be a great addition for the area.
I was a fireman at Longsight and Gorton and worked on those lines the branch to Picc closed in the late 1960s.

<a class="postlink" href="http://pa.manchester.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=N3GK6JBC05D00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://pa.manchester.gov.uk/online-appl ... K6JBC05D00</a>

Just noticed this posted on the MCC Planning website. Extended construction hours for South Stand extension. Hopefully just a precaution and not a response to any perceived delays.

Here is the satellite of those lines
[bigimg]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86521090/480/city%20train.jpg[/bigimg]
The line from Piccadilly to the ground is defo broken and tracks removed, I have been past on the Ashburys line and the connection is gone as is the bridge over the A635
Not sure train from ground to Piccadilly is a big miss with the tram in place but trains / specials direct to the ground from the West via Oxford Rd could be linked direct to the ground but looks excessive work when tram already in place.
From the East trains that hit Ashburys could easily go up the line to Victoria but Stockport trains wouldnt be able to do it, even if the Piccadilly link was open they would have to go into Piccadilly and out again
Would seem a bit excessive to repair the Piccadilly link

had the privilege of a tour round the CFA today . particularly impressed with the mini stadium. can't wait to do a proper tour round it when its all done!

Just had a access all areas tour of the training complex this morning. I have to say I was totally blown away with the place everything about it was top draw. Every little detail and all mod cons, this is going to be amazing. One side of it is almost complete and will be handed over in September with the rest due to finish in November, they are a little bit behind in some areas. The main(e) stadium is breathtaking and It looks like a Championship stadium. The players hotel with all the facillites looks fantastic. Every player at every level at City are going to be treated like a true professional and this can only be a good thing in the long run. You get the feeling walking around the place that we are going to be one of the biggest clubs in the world in the not too distant future, everything about it is sheer class.
I hope to go again in a few months when some of the finishing touches are done. What an amazing day!

dawlish dave said:
500 mts south of Ashton New Rd there was a junction that split the line, one led to Ashburys and remains open, the other line went to the north of Ardwick stn, the viaducts are intact and would not cost a fortune to renew this would allow a shuttle service to operate Picc to Vic.
If the Etihad grows to 60000 plus a station next to the stadium would be a great addition for the area.
I was a fireman at Longsight and Gorton and worked on those lines the branch to Picc closed in the late 1960s.

HS2 ploughs through that (Blind Lane) Viaduct so its a non-starter

And there is loads of embankment missing as it crosses Ashton Old Road up towards the now gone Midland Junction

And finally Picc-Vic shuttle will be provided via the new Ordsall Curve to be built up near the old Granada Studios Tour

Have the tours of the new academy started? ;o)

Spill the beans lads? How have you had the tour? Please tell me JRB has had an invite??

Manchester1894 said:
Have the tours of the new academy started? ;o)

Spill the beans lads? How have you had the tour? Please tell me JRB has had an invite??
JRB was the tour guide.

Tony26 said:
Just had a access all areas tour of the training complex this morning. I have to say I was totally blown away with the place everything about it was top draw. Every little detail and all mod cons, this is going to be amazing. One side of it is almost complete and will be handed over in September with the rest due to finish in November, they are a little bit behind in some areas. The main(e) stadium is breathtaking and It looks like a Championship stadium. The players hotel with all the facillites looks fantastic. Every player at every level at City are going to be treated like a true professional and this can only be a good thing in the long run. You get the feeling walking around the place that we are going to be one of the biggest clubs in the world in the not too distant future, everything about it is sheer class.
I hope to go again in a few months when some of the finishing touches are done. What an amazing day!
we are going to be one of the biggest clubs in the world in the not too distant future
What do you mean 'going to be'? Rag, ban him mods. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.