Who Works In Sales?

Depends on the type of sales you do.

if it's business to business, account manager, territory manager type stuff I can recommend a series of books by Stephen Schiffman.

The books cover stuff such as sales habits, sales myths, cold calling , presentations, closing etc..

Now you have to get through some of the fluff and full on stuff that's not really relevant in a UK market (written by and for americans) but I found some of the ideas invaluable when I made the change to sales from being an Engineer.

And as others have said, understand your product, understand your market, don't bullshit people and be yourself.

I briefly worked in business to business sales but it wasn't for me. Belief in the product and no natural opposal to cold calling is key. Yes means yes and no means no for me, so I wasn't going to "handle the objections" of someone who said no.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
If people like you, they'll buy off you. That's about it really.
Exactly this. And every job in the world is sales, it is those that recognise this that do the best. One is always selling oneself.

I've sold allsorts of stuff over the years and my best trick is to make the buyer know you're honest by telling them something negative about a product. If what you're selling is good enough people will buy.

SWP's back said:
Exactly this. And every job in the world is sales, it is those that recognise this that do the best. One is always selling oneself.
You were pretty good at this mate and you delivered.......:)

SWP's back said:

This, people buy from people.

Just be yourself and it's all about rapport. Listen to the potential client, ask plenty of open questions and identify their true need. Never push a deal , be transparent about everything, don't promise things you can't deliver and never be desperate. When handling objections address them and don't be afraid to put in that extra work, nothing comes easy.

Oh yeah, never put motivational posters on linkedin either, they're bloody annoying and cringey.

rickmcfc said:
It will be business to business and there will be an element of cold calling involved.
Rather than cold calling can you via a letter first? In my business, you probably wouldn't get past my PA if you did I'd fuck you off. SWP is spot on also.

SWP's back said:
I know this as well as most. I'm still basically a salesman.
Now I know why my career teacher said "Don't go into sales, Sir Baconface".

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.