just been in the butchers

Often do my mam's shopping and I get sent to the market for veg and an award winning butchers shop...... It might cost a quid or so more but the quality is excellent plus I never seem to walk out without some free sausages or his new flavored chicken breasts etc.

Sad thing is I'm always the youngest customer in there by a distance. Supermarkets are killing local shops as we all know.

mad4city said:
dronefromsector7g said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
Every Christmas the subject of my gran and grandad's butchers/ greengrocers in Miles Platting comes up, usually when the booze has been flowing for a while. My older brother and sister worked there for several years in the 70's. Me and my younger brother used to help out in the school holidays as well as at my dad's shop which was at the other end of the same parade.

It's fair to say that Health and Safety wasn't at the top of my grandad's agenda. My sister often recounts how my grandad used the same knife to cut the (highly questionable) steak as he did the cheese (of which there were only two types: Cheddar, Cheshire). Often the circle of cheese would have a red streak down the edge where he had cut it. The stuff he used to do to keep the mince looking fresh really was a thing of genius. My brother also claims that if the steak was starting to go off and go grey, he'd stick it in a bucket of water with some bleach in for a few minutes to 'sort it out'.

My sister, thinking one day that there must be more to life than working in this shop, had a life changing moment. She was sat on the till when a regular old girl called Ivy came in and ordered two oxo cubes and an egg, which constituted her whole shopping list: "expecting company tonight Ivy?" my brother quipped. This moment made her resolve to get out and 'see the world' and two weeks later she was on a plane to (the then exotic) Loret de Mar where she met her cockney husband who she's still with today.

It's funny looking back, as I didn't realise it at the time, but I got much of my personality from being a small part of that world as a young kid. Seeing, as I did, an environment where only the streetwise survived through relatively innocent and sheltered eyes. It's certainly given me an ability to think with much greater agility than other people with similar upbringings to myself.

I'm very lucky in that regard.
Expect a call from Ridley Scott mate

That was funny. Well done, Drone.
GDM, (can't believe I'm asking this but...) did customers not smell or taste or even die from the bleach on their steak? Also, thanks for reminding me of people buying single eggs and oxo cubes. I'd quite forgotten about all that. Our local shop would sell you a slice off of a block of ice cream and two wafers to as sandwich it in... yes, I'm very old, children.

Do corner shops still sell single cigarettes to school kids, like in the "good old days".

Why Always Ste said:
Pelly Greeny said:
Not normal at all - go back and tell them.

But I'd still use a butchers -maybe one that doesnt have flies crawling in the meat - rather than the fucking supermarkets - wankers have spoiled the high street as we knew it.

Get to the market for your fruit and veg too - you'll be surprised how much cheaper it is too.

As much as I agree with this, what about local councils and their restrictions on parking?

I've got to walk 20mins (no problem) to get to my local market to avoid having to pay, and even then I'm parking on a Tesco CP.

Much prefer Butchers and locally produced stuff but it's less convenient for someone like myself who's been born into the supermarket culture.

so you're one of the inconsiderate gits clogging up the Tesco car park only to use Bury town centre??? Don't blame you, Bury Market is great for meat, fish and veg.

pominoz said:
mad4city said:
dronefromsector7g said:
Expect a call from Ridley Scott mate

GDM, (can't believe I'm asking this but...) did customers not smell or taste or even die from the bleach on their steak? Also, thanks for reminding me of people buying single eggs and oxo cubes. I'd quite forgotten about all that. Our local shop would sell you a slice off of a block of ice cream and two wafers to as sandwich it in... yes, I'm very old, children.

Do corner shops still sell single cigarettes to school kids, like in the "good old days".

Not seen that in years, either.

mad4city said:
pominoz said:
mad4city said:

Not seen that in years, either.
And the scruffy fucker in an ice cream van aswell?

Every Christmas the subject of my gran and grandad's butchers/ greengrocers in Miles Platting comes up, usually when the booze has been flowing for a while. My older brother and sister worked there for several years in the 70's. Me and my younger brother used to help out in the school holidays as well as at my dad's shop which was at the other end of the same parade.

It's fair to say that Health and Safety wasn't at the top of my grandad's agenda. My sister often recounts how my grandad used the same knife to cut the (highly questionable) steak as he did the cheese (of which there were only two types: Cheddar, Cheshire). Often the circle of cheese would have a red streak down the edge where he had cut it. The stuff he used to do to keep the mince looking fresh really was a thing of genius. My brother also claims that if the steak was starting to go off and go grey, he'd stick it in a bucket of water with some bleach in for a few minutes to 'sort it out'.

My sister, thinking one day that there must be more to life than working in this shop, had a life changing moment. She was sat on the till when a regular old girl called Ivy came in and ordered two oxo cubes and an egg, which constituted her whole shopping list: "expecting company tonight Ivy?" my brother quipped. This moment made her resolve to get out and 'see the world' and two weeks later she was on a plane to (the then exotic) Loret de Mar where she met her cockney husband who she's still with today.

It's funny looking back, as I didn't realise it at the time, but I got much of my personality from being a small part of that world as a young kid. Seeing, as I did, an environment where only the streetwise survived through relatively innocent and sheltered eyes. It's certainly given me an ability to think with much greater agility than other people with similar upbringings to myself.

For some reason I read that in my mind with Morgan Freeman's voice as narrator

Was it on the medway parade or the one up near the swimming baths ?

Wio Gumflapdinand said:

For some reason I read that in my mind with Morgan Freeman's voice as narrator

Nah, Victoria Wood narrating over something like the Hovis ad music.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.