United Thread 2014/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ban-jani said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
To put this debate into further context...

Mourinho, the 'serial winner' backed with funds for Schurle, Matic, Salah, Eto'o, Willian, could not win the league.

That's despite Chelsea having a vastly superior squad to the present United one which also included, Hazard, Oscar, Cahill, Ivanovic, Ramires, Cech, Terry, Azpilicueta, Cole, Ba, Luiz.

That's the true size of the task facing Butthead this season when it comes to a supposed title challenge.

And we have not even mentioned the current champions, who put seven past them last season, took six points, finished 22 points ahead of them and have only strengthened further in the current window.

Just saying...

Good post;
my idiotic, armchair supporting, nitwit of a Rag house mate claimed
last night that Utd will finish ahead of us because Van Gaal is a better manager than
Pellegrini.

Oh how I laughed.

Just ask him how does that "worse Champions we've ever seen" chant go because you need to learn it for next season ;-)

Ban-jani said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
To put this debate into further context...

Mourinho, the 'serial winner' backed with funds for Schurle, Matic, Salah, Eto'o, Willian, could not win the league.

That's despite Chelsea having a vastly superior squad to the present United one which also included, Hazard, Oscar, Cahill, Ivanovic, Ramires, Cech, Terry, Azpilicueta, Cole, Ba, Luiz.

That's the true size of the task facing Butthead this season when it comes to a supposed title challenge.

And we have not even mentioned the current champions, who put seven past them last season, took six points, finished 22 points ahead of them and have only strengthened further in the current window.

Just saying...

Good post;
my idiotic, armchair supporting, nitwit of a Rag house mate claimed
last night that Utd will finish ahead of us because Van Gaal is a better manager than
Pellegrini.

Oh how I laughed.

And if LvG wins nothing next season, all we'll hear is, it's his first season, conveniently forgetting that Manuel won two trophies in his first season in England and Bobby Manc won the FA Cup in his first full season.

r.soleofsalford said:
Hoghead said:
Rags only took 6 points out of a possible 36 from the top six last season. The ugly one only has to improve on that and they are in with a good shout.
They should get an extra 3 points from both scouse clubs and Spuds, lose 1 from Arse and perhaps gain a point from both Chelsea and ourselves.

he might be a good manager but he hasnt got a magic wand to turn their shit defence into a good one.

Totally this, he isn't Fkn Harry Potter, they need 5/6 WORLD CLASS players minimum to catch up, what they have is shit.

They will finish top 3 and will come close to winning the league. I think many are so delirious at them not being in Europe it hasn't dawned how much that will benefit them. It's a pity Moyes was actually as shit as he was,he couldn't even deliver the nightmare of Thursday night football. That would have really put them in trouble.

dubblue said:
They will finish top 3 and will come close to winning the league. I think many are so delirious at them not being in Europe it hasn't dawned how much that will benefit them. It's a pity Moyes was actually as shit as he was,he couldn't even deliver the nightmare of Thursday night football. That would have really put them in trouble.

even money they dont finish in the top 3

Have I missed comment on this? http://thebusbybabe.sbnation.com/2014/7/17/5912471/manchester-united-louis-van-gaal-sponsors

At his first Manchester United press conference, Louis van Gaal took the unusual step of singling the sponsors out for a special mention. Twice. What was he up to?

Sponsors are always present at press conferences. They're at the back, printed on the big board, hanging behind whoever's talking like really rubbish wallpaper. Nobody really notices them any more, but it's a space that costs a fortune and subconsciously makes you think better of Nikoflohubermisterpotato, so there they stay.

But they're not usually mentioned by anybody. One of the more intriguing aspects of Louis van Gaal's first press conference, then, along with the Carrick-bomb and the fact that he claimed the Eredivisie was better than Serie A on the grounds he'd managed there, was that he mentioned the sponsors a couple of times.

The first was pretty bland, an early shout for "how important the sponsors" are. Presumably that made Ed Woodward feel all warm and good inside. (Stop it, Ed. You've transfers to be getting on with.) The second, though, was more pointed. "It is not always possible to fulfil the commercial expectations and the football expectations."

Now, this could mean a couple of things. The first is a fairly uncontroversial note that if the club doesn't win, then neither the football nor the flogging of things will go well. But the second reading, a more entertaining option, is that Van Gaal was making a point about the incompatibility of the two. That the steps required to fulfil the commercial expectations may not chime with those required to fulfil the footballing aims; that one may inhibit the other.

Whether he was referring to anything specific here is unclear, but we note the recent resurgence of the rumours that United may take advantage of their absence from Europe to play midweek glamour friendlies in far-flung emerging markets. That's training time being eaten up.

There are managers who are happy to play the game the way the sponsors want to play it; to accede to pretty much anything as just a part of the reality of modern football. Van Gaal, it's probably safe to say, isn't one of them. There may be nothing here, of course, but it's just possible that there might be something brewing. And if so, who would you back? Messrs Woodward and Potato, or the Iron Tulip?

eversince 76 said:
mosssideblue said:
SebastianBlue said:
I've just taken the time to look at Van Gaal's "honours" and he hasn't accomplished anything of note in near on fifteen years (I don't include leading Bayern Munich to a Bundesliga title in 2009-2010 as that is not particularly impressive). Third in the World Cup after barely squeezing past several inferior teams is as close as he has come.

I still do not understand the "genius" tags aside from media's love of narrative.
I agree Seb, but wasn't he also the only one avail willing to take the scum post on. Sure they were after more stellar names who were not interested. I have a feeling this wont be an easy ride on or off th epitch for them

No-one can deny Van Gaal has an impressive list of honours. And why you didn't include his achievement at Bayern is beyond me, but it is of little matter to your poor conclusion he is not a "genius". To start, no manager is a genius. Simply one has a better record than the other, yet even that stat is all about what team you manage. It's indeed easier to take prizes with the teams Van Gaal has managed than Pellegrini has.
And if you think what the Dutch achieved at the WC is not impressive, than you are certainly not a football-genius mate. No inferioir teams? Spain, Chili and Brazil ... all won ... scoring 10, conceded 1. Unless these were the inferiour teams you were talking about.

But back to Van Gaal. He's no more a genius than Pellegrini, yet by far less charming. Yet he might have the capacity to make it work with that lot. Pellegrini did with us and I have faith he will continue to do so as long as he's our manager. As it is now, that's by far more important than what happens at the rags.

It is obvious you aren't looking for a right-minded debate so I won't bother. I can say that I was not indicating he was a genius and refuting, I was commenting on the media's portrayal which I believe to be unfounded. And if you believe any team they faced aside from Chile to be of exceptional quality (and I am half Spanish so it pains me to say that) or that the Bayern league triumph was astounding than I'm not sure why you hold yourself to be a superior football mind (nor why you felt the need to make that comment in the first place—a bit sad).

At any rate, we'll see what he can do with that squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.