Album of the day - The Beatles (Sgt.Pepper's...)

mancity1 said:
Pet Sounds

Ooh. Pet Hate time!
Write one half decent song that sounds like an advertising jingle. Write a dozen other versions of the same thing with some minor speed variations. Release dullest and most overrated album ever. Bore everyone to death for the next 40 years. :)

roman totale said:
mancity1 said:
Pet Sounds

Ooh. Pet Hate time!
Write one half decent song that sounds like an advertising jingle. Write a dozen other versions of the same thing with some minor speed variations. Release dullest and most overrated album ever. Bore everyone to death for the next 40 years. :)

God Only Knows is a truly great love song

Shame Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane were taken out of the equation for release as a double 'A' sided single, otherwise it really would have been a contender for the greatest album of all time. As it is, I think there's too much filler and iconic though it may be, it hasn't aged that well. Revolver, Abbey Road and Rubber Soul all knock spots off it for me, and I still prefer Please Please Me personally in terms of capturing the excitement of the band in its early days

Something I also take into account on all Beatles' albums is Ringo's (vocal) contribution, which are at best passable. That would include With A Little Help From My Friends from this album, Boys (Please Please Me) and I Wanna Be Your Man (With The Beatles).

Elsewhere Ringo's contributions let most albums down significantly, Rubber Soul's What Goes On particularly. There are worse tracks of course: Act Naturally from Help! and the dreadful Honey Don't from Beatles For Sale, but they were weaker albums overall, padded out as they were by a couple of ill-chosen covers when Lennon & McCartney had better stuff in their locker, which they could have put out.

BTH said:
Something I also take into account on all Beatles' albums is Ringo's (vocal) contribution, which are at best passable. That would include With A Little Help From My Friends from this album, Boys (Please Please Me) and I Wanna Be Your Man (With The Beatles).

Elsewhere Ringo's contributions let most albums down significantly, Rubber Soul's What Goes On particularly. There are worse tracks of course: Act Naturally from Help! and the dreadful Honey Don't from Beatles For Sale, but they were weaker albums overall, padded out as they were by a couple of ill-chosen covers when Lennon & McCartney had better stuff in their locker, which they could have put out.

The only song I actually like him singing is Yellow Submarine

Dont Pass Me By is the worst song in the Beatles canon for me.

Iconic band and album I know, but I HATE them (with a passion only matched for that of Pink Floyd, AC/DC and Rush ...)

As a kid, my two older cousins used to babysit me, and they played nothing but the feckin' Beatles over and bastard over .... drove me bananas .... can't bear them to this day.

MCFCTrick said:
Iconic band and album I know, but I HATE them (with a passion only matched for that of Pink Floyd, AC/DC and Rush ...)

As a kid, my two older cousins used to babysit me, and they played nothing but the feckin' Beatles over and bastard over .... drove me bananas .... can't bear them to this day.

Well, feck off then!

MCFCTrick said:

Ironic for a man whose favourite band's biggest influence is surely the Beatles. Not that I am a big fan of the Fabs or don't prefer the Trick.

Looks like Frank Zappa was influenced too

[bigimg]http://alanwalkerart.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Original_Were_Only_in_It_for_the_Money_front_cover.jpg[/bigimg]

OB1 said:
MCFCTrick said:

Ironic for a man whose favourite band's biggest influence is surely the Beatles. Not that I am a big fan of the Fabs or don't prefer the Trick.

I know that OBI .... daft innit? ..... Cheap Trick even recently did a residency in Vegas playing Sgt Peppers from start to finish .... and released a live album and dvd of it .... only things of theirs I didn't bother buying, lol

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.