Our World War - BBC3

Bluemoonie92 said:
pirate said:
shadygiz said:
the 2nd one is about the manchester pals and addresses the issue of what the army classed as deserting duty. That and the horrors of having to be in a firing squad to shoot a mate who simply got lost in the woods. It is based on war diaries, and is attempting to portray some of the unglamorous aspects of war, like the original British idea of keep attacking them from the front and they will fold on the hope we have more men than they have bullets. Shows the elite upper classes attitude towards the simple man at the time....simply expendable

seen the second one now.

I gotta disagree with those who say its a load of old tosh.

I think its been brilliant. cant wait for the third one

Same here, really enjoyed it so far.

+1

First thing i've ever watched on BBC3 that wasn't a pile of shit.

johnny on the spot said:
Fair play to those who enjoyed it. Life's about opinions after all.

I found the over-production extremely tacky, the script witless (and clearly tarted up for the 'innit' generation) and the overall idea of it (to remake 'Our War' as a gritty costume drama) to be completely ridiculous. The acting was half decent, these are good young television actors with authentic Manc accents, but the whole point of the thing seemed to be about dumbing down history to suit a generation of young adults who really couldn't give a fuck enough to pick up a book.

i think its been pretty good, and pretty much based on fact as its predominently extracts from diaries. How do you want them to act ?

mekonmcfc said:
johnny on the spot said:
i think its been pretty good, and pretty much based on fact as its predominently extracts from diaries. How do you want them to act ?

I said the acting was ok. It's the brainless, cartoonish, hyperactive production which I don't like. Banging techno music, silly editing and a script more reminiscent of a 2012 sixth form common room than a 1915 trench line does not in my mind equate to good treatment of history. Remember The Living Bible, where everyone talks like ninja turtles? Well, Our World War is basically that on the Western Front.

Once again, I get why they've done it. It's on BBC3, it's for a younger audience and it's supposed to make century old history accessible to that audience.

shadygiz said:
pirate said:
i watched he first one, it was really good.

not seen the rest

the 2nd one is about the manchester pals and addresses the issue of what the army classed as deserting duty. That and the horrors of having to be in a firing squad to shoot a mate who simply got lost in the woods. It is based on war diaries, and is attempting to portray some of the unglamorous aspects of war, like the original British idea of keep attacking them from the front and they will fold on the hope we have more men than they have bullets. Shows the elite upper classes attitude towards the simple man at the time....simply expendable

I would say the same thoughts apply now. The powers that be or the elite do not give a fuck about the working class or soldier now. We all read stories about the lack of proper equipment in the army and constant cuts which can and do lead to deaths.

I think it's shit, with the potential to be very good.

The story lines decent, the raising of awareness amongst the younger generation is a good thing but the acting is fucking dreadful. The camera angles and what not are not very good either. When that chap was running to the town from the front line with what I assume would have been a camera attacked to his back, just looked terrible and inhibited motion sickness.

It seems 'too laddish' to be serious, and BBC 3 make some tosh.

The music is fucking dire. It's about the First World War, it's not bloody skins!

Aside from that it's pretty good!

I think the programme maker's set out to show the horror of WW1 to an audience that more than likely would not have a clue about the Somme and Mons. In that aspect regardless of the Techno they will have succeeded.

BlueTG said:
I think it's shit, with the potential to be very good.

The story lines decent, the raising of awareness amongst the younger generation is a good thing but the acting is fucking dreadful. The camera angles and what not are not very good either. When that chap was running to the town from the front line with what I assume would have been a camera attacked to his back, just looked terrible and inhibited motion sickness.

It seems 'too laddish' to be serious, and BBC 3 make some tosh.

It's very laddish and too borish. I'm sure accents, decorum and culture was a lot different 100 years a go.....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.