Scottish independence

bellbuzzer said:
having followed the debate, in the media and on here, I still cannot see why the torys oppose the 'YES' vote so vehemently. All they offer is conjecture and supposition. A yes vote would definitely damage labour, that's what makes it all the more confusing.
Osborne blatantly trying to buy ''No'' votes shows how desperate they have become. Maybe what is behind the campaign will be revealed, after the vote.

a yes vote murders labour in England

come on you jocks

bellbuzzer said:
having followed the debate, in the media and on here, I still cannot see why the torys oppose the 'YES' vote so vehemently. All they offer is conjecture and supposition. A yes vote would definitely damage labour, that's what makes it all the more confusing.
Osborne blatantly trying to buy ''No'' votes shows how desperate they have become. Maybe what is behind the campaign will be revealed, after the vote.

a yes vote murders labour in England

come on you jocks

RandomJ said:
nimrod said:
RandomJ said:
Theres no coming back from this no matter what the result. If they vote yes the ill feeling will just increase between the two countries and if they vote no there will still be ill feeling between the two countries and the issue will just boil until they have another vote a few years later. Basically they are going to end up independent at some point because the history between Scotland and England is so heated.

There should be no ill feeling mate

I dont blame the jocks for wanting to be independent, how can anybody 'blame' them for wanting to be in control of themselves as a nation ?

Because of the long and bloody history between the two countries. Everyone is brought up with some form of prejudice about the Scotts or English. I agree if they want to go it alone they should be allowed but you need only look at the Andy Murray situation to see how quickly people froth at the mouth over the whole England vs Scotland thing and independence will just make it worse.

I wasn't. Always liked the Scots.

RandomJ said:
nimrod said:
RandomJ said:
Theres no coming back from this no matter what the result. If they vote yes the ill feeling will just increase between the two countries and if they vote no there will still be ill feeling between the two countries and the issue will just boil until they have another vote a few years later. Basically they are going to end up independent at some point because the history between Scotland and England is so heated.

There should be no ill feeling mate

I dont blame the jocks for wanting to be independent, how can anybody 'blame' them for wanting to be in control of themselves as a nation ?

Because of the long and bloody history between the two countries. Everyone is brought up with some form of prejudice about the Scotts or English. I agree if they want to go it alone they should be allowed but you need only look at the Andy Murray situation to see how quickly people froth at the mouth over the whole England vs Scotland thing and independence will just make it worse.
Spot on with that post. You only need to read this forum for proof.

ayrshire_blue said:
Blue Hefner said:
If they vote 'yes' when do they actually become independent? How long is the transition period to sort things out?

2016 (I think March of that year).

Passports won't be needed, as is the case between Ireland and Northern Ireland/IOM and mainland UK etc.

And we'll use the £.
Passports won't be needed IF you have the same immigration policy. Ireland, in order to be in the common travel area, has always had an immigration policy which is virtually identical to ours. An independent Scotland will therefore need either border controls, or will have no right to determine its own immigration policy.

You can use the pound, but it won't be in a currency union because the UK will not want to be a lender of last resort to an economy it has no control over. Also, you cannot join the EU if you go down the sterlingisation route because it requires you to have a central bank.

Salmond is trying to convince you that you can have your cake and eat it as well.

Salmond is a winner either way, if it's a yes vote he gets his independent Scotland and if it's a no vote he'll get huge concessions from Westminster and independence at a later date anyway.
I love Scotland and loved living there for over a decade, my children were born there too but it just might be best all round if they go on their own now and not hold the rest of us over a barrel for the near future in the event of a no vote

bluemoon32 said:
Salmond is a winner either way, if it's a yes vote he gets his independent Scotland and if it's a no vote he'll get huge concessions from Westminster and independence at a later date anyway.
I love Scotland and loved living there for over a decade, my children were born there too but it just might be best all round if they go on their own now and not hold the rest of us over a barrel for the near future in the event of a no vote

My view as well - whilst there are lots of things that will have to be 'sorted out' following a yes vote - well that is just natural transition planning and should be easily resolvable over a period of joint working. It only becomes difficult if the Westminster parliament act in bad grace.

The one thing that does stump me though is why Scots would have a vote in the UK elections next May meaning that they can strongly influence the make up of the UK government for the following 5 years - a government that they will independent from - does not make sense that.

mcfc1632 said:
bluemoon32 said:

My view as well - whilst there are lots of things that will have to be 'sorted out' following a yes vote - well that is just natural transition planning and should be easily resolvable over a period of joint working. It only becomes difficult if the Westminster parliament act in bad grace.

The one thing that does stump me though is why Scots would have a vote in the UK elections next May meaning that they can strongly influence the make up of the UK government for the following 5 years - a government that they will independent from - does not make sense that.

Or the Scottish choose to walk away and not to pay their fair share of the national debt - which they continuously threaten to do so.
If a yes vote is the result I'm pretty sure the next general election will be put back for the reasons you state.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.