Scottish independence

DiscoSteve said:
I can't lose!!!!

If they vote No the union is preserved!

If they vote Yes - Labour will NEVER get in again - fantastic!!!!
You're a bit previous there.
Labour will win their heartland seats in England .
The Tories will find their vote split by Ukip , particularly in marginals.
It's going to be a lot closer than you think.

DiscoSteve said:
I can't lose!!!!

If they vote No the union is preserved!

If they vote Yes - Labour will NEVER get in again - fantastic!!!!

I've seen a few people on here say this and I really don't see how it is a good thing. Even if you are a die hard Tory and hate Labour with a passion how is the country only having one party that can win an election a good thing? With zero competition they will just get complacent and have free reign to do what they want which is not a good thing for the country. I hate the tory party but if they must be in power I'd rather they have to actually work to get there and actually have to come up with decent policies to get the votes instead of just getting voted through by default.

Len Rum said:
"there will only be a conservative government from now on", that's a long time Ronnie, must be one hell of a crystal ball you've got there!
I've pointed out that this is nonsense over and over again. The last time the Conservatives won a majority of seats in England was 1992. The last time Labour won a majority of seats in England was 2005.

2005 election results in England:
Labour - 286 seats
Tories - 194 seats
Lib Dems - 47 seats
IKHH - 1 seat
Respect - 1 seat

2001 election results in England:
Labour - 323 seats
Tories - 165 seats
Lib Dems - 40 seats
Independent - 1 seat

1997 election results in England:
Labour - 328 seats
Tories - 165 seats
Lib Dems - 34 seats
Independent - 1 seat
NLP - 1 seat

There have only been two elections which Labour has won where it didn't win a majority in England. Basically, when Labour wins elections, it wins in England.

Skashion said:
Len Rum said:
"there will only be a conservative government from now on", that's a long time Ronnie, must be one hell of a crystal ball you've got there!
I've pointed out that this is nonsense over and over again. The last time the Conservatives won a majority of seats in England was 1992. The last time Labour won a majority of seats in England was 2005.

Labour - 286 seats
Tories - 194 seats
Lib Dems - 47 seats
IKHH - 1 seat
Respect - 1 seat

Labour - 323 seats
Tories - 165 seats
Lib Dems - 40 seats
Independent - 1 seat

Labour - 328 seats
Tories - 165 seats
Lib Dems - 34 seats
Independent - 1 seat
NLP - 1 seat

There have only been two elections which Labour has won where it didn't win a majority in England. Basically, when Labour wins elections, it wins in England.

That's because labour have altered many boundaries to make it much easier for them to get a majority. This would have been redressed so that things were even until that two faced tosser clegg reneged on the deal because he lost the vote on PR

Ronnie the Rep said:
Skashion said:
Len Rum said:

Labour - 286 seats
Tories - 194 seats
Lib Dems - 47 seats
IKHH - 1 seat
Respect - 1 seat

Labour - 323 seats
Tories - 165 seats
Lib Dems - 40 seats
Independent - 1 seat

Labour - 328 seats
Tories - 165 seats
Lib Dems - 34 seats
Independent - 1 seat
NLP - 1 seat

That's because labour have altered many boundaries to make it much easier for them to get a majority. This would have been redressed so that things were even until that two faced tosser clegg reneged on the deal because he lost the vote on PR
Come off it Ronnie, Cameron promised Clegg he could deliver on reform of the Lords but he couldn't get it through his own party. So Clegg did a quid pro quo. Another example of Dave shooting himself in the foot.

Len Rum said:
Ronnie the Rep said:
Skashion said:

Labour - 286 seats
Tories - 194 seats
Lib Dems - 47 seats
IKHH - 1 seat
Respect - 1 seat

Labour - 323 seats
Tories - 165 seats
Lib Dems - 40 seats
Independent - 1 seat

Labour - 328 seats
Tories - 165 seats
Lib Dems - 34 seats
Independent - 1 seat
NLP - 1 seat

Come off it Ronnie, Cameron promised Clegg he could deliver on reform of the Lords but he couldn't get it through his own party. So Clegg did a quid pro quo. Another example of Dave shooting himself in the foot.

We'll have to agree to disagree about that but it doesn't alter the fact that the boundary changes made by labour are not fair and should be changed

Ronnie the Rep said:
This is once again, nonsense, from start to finish. The independent Boundary Commissions alter boundaries, not political parties, and it is cited as a reason by people who haven't the first clue about why our electoral system works the way it does. The main reasons why Labour usually wins more seats for the same vote share is that turnout tends to be lower in safe Labour seats than in safe Conservative seats. Effectively, tories tend to vote more frequently even if it is not required. You could redraw boundaries if you like, it wouldn't change anything, unless you got rid of FPTP. Secondly, we have never voted on PR. Thirdly, those who win elections, win the marginals. The better you are at it, the more disproportionate the votes. In the 1980s, it took many fewer votes for the Conservatives to win seats. Why? Because they won the elections, and by large margins. The more you win elections, the more you win marginals, the more a small number of votes effects greatly the number of seats. Under FPTP, that is the only way it can be. Either you win elections, win marginals, and win more seats per vote, or you lose elections, lose marginals, and win fewer seats per vote. There's no magic in it. Fourthly, seems superfluous even to mention it but the main reason Cameron was even getting away with challenging the independence of the Boundary Commissions is because, in a politically-motivated move, he was trying to advantage his own party by reducing the number of seats. So you've flipped it on its head.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.