Scottish independence

I hope its a yes vote they will reap what they sow . Salmond and that orrible women nicola sturgeon ( she fucking looks like one ) will be found out for what they are clueless. Let them have the EURO ( thats if the EU will let them ) but hey they can have our slot when we pull out . Rebuild Hadrains wall and keep the jocks in

cinnamon blue said:
I hope its a yes vote they will reap what they sow . Salmond and that orrible women nicola sturgeon ( she fucking looks like one ) will be found out for what they are clueless. Let them have the EURO ( thats if the EU will let them ) but hey they can have our slot when we pull out . Rebuild Hadrains wall and keep the jocks in

Och, yae dinnae say that!

tve19883-19900927-524.jpg

BrianW said:
Aye, there's a real danger that a No vote will lead to a Scottish Republican Army setting up and blowing stuff up. There's enough nutters out there. That shite film Braveheart is behind a lot of this bitterness. Only the other day I saw some berk quoting the 'First Night' thing, as if it actually happened, which, for anyone in doubt, it didn't.

Objectively, I think we'd all be better off together. And for what it's worth, I've a lot more in common with a Scottish working-class person than I will ever have with Cameron, the Queen, or the Duke of Devonshire. But I can only see trouble ahead now, either way.

Anyway, it's up to the people of Scotland via their votes. There's nothing any of us can do unless we are one of them. I just hope their heads rule their hearts and emotions.

The biggest risk is if its a very tiny majority in favour of NO.

Apparently the rules of the ballot do not allow for a complete recount. Each side can ask for a recount at the 32 counting centres but on the basis of process rather than closeness of the result. And even then its hypothetically possible that each counting centre produces a clear result but when they're added up there's only one vote in it. It probably seemed like a good idea when they decided to restrict the possibility of recounts, avoid some of the problems of Florida 2000. But imagine if there are only a handful of votes in it and the losing side are denied a recount?

The other issue is that it could all be blamed on the English. The perception (probably reasonable) is that the overwhelming majority of English living in Scotland and entitled to vote will vote NO. So if its a tiny NO majority it will be blamed on them.

Anyone else think their will be riots in the event of a nae vote? It's getting quite nasty up there and the yeses are by far the more vocal.

cibaman said:
The other issue is that it could all be blamed on the English. The perception (probably reasonable) is that the overwhelming majority of English living in Scotland and entitled to vote will vote NO. So if its a tiny NO majority it will be blamed on them.

They would probably be right but there are, I think, about 800,000 Scots living in other parts of the UK who have not been allowed a vote.
I think it's also a reasonable assumption that a significant majority of them, maybe the overwhelming majority, would vote NO.
Salmond and the YES campaign can't have it both ways.

Benarbia_is_god said:
Anyone else think their will be riots in the event of a nae vote? It's getting quite nasty up there and the yeses are by far the more vocal.

I think that you are right and I'd go further: I think that there could be trouble even if YES wins.
I can't see the Orange Lodge & Rangers supporters being happy if the union is dissolved.
I've not been up there recently but if reports are to be believed the atmosphere between the two camps is toxic.
Hopefully any trouble, whoever wins, will be short lived.
Democracy after all means accepting the will of the majority.

Independence will be a disaster for the poor of Scotland.

One the subsidies from England are withdrawn and the economic difficulties start its a dead cert that the middle class and the public sector types will make sure that all the suffering is shoved on those least able to afford it.

That's how the world works.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.