10 most defining moments since takeover

I'd just like to add weight to the 2-3 loss to United in the FA Cup 3rd round in Jan 2012. On the face of it, it was so much more than a valiant defeat but, for me at least, really signalled the shift in power between the clubs for the following reasons:

- 10 men aside, we were also one nil down to a United goal scored against the run of play before Kompany's harsh sending off. So we're chasing the game, a goal down and missing our captain from the pitch.

- 3-0 nil down at half time - at this point it looked like it was only going to get worse. I remember the area around 109-111 practically emptying and just slumping in my chair whilst listening to 15 minutes of nursery rhymes from the United fans. The minutes approaching the kick off to the second half are well up there as my favourites, up to that point in history of course, as being a city fan. The noise created by the fans as our ten men returned to the pitch before United reappeared from the tunnel was spine tingling. It was definitely one of those times that you can see the fans respond to the intensity and passion shown by the players, for the rest of the half I believe both fed off each other - the players getting the crowd going when there was a lull - the fans, in turn, getting that extra yard from the player.

- The second half performance - I think it's easy to get lost in the moment and say we 'battered' them and 'totally outplayed them'; I'm not sure we did with 10 men, but what we did do, was definitely play as equals; which, with a man down, just went to show:

- The 6-1 wasn't a fluke. I had texts from United fans telling me this was going to be 'revenge' at half time; this was only 3 months after that game and I think there was a genuine feeling that United were really going to go for it against our ten men to put a marker down, to try and put us back in our place. They couldn't do that; they were a stone wall penalty and Costel Pantilimon being an inch taller away from being taken to a replay.

- Dragging Scholes out of retirement - it stunk of desperation and what United's transfer policy at that time was going to entail. It just dramaticised the direction both clubs were heading.

- The panic in the United end. Half time was all nursery rhymes and selfies with Ashley Young - from around the 50th minute, just after Kolarov's goal; I don't think we heard a peep out of them. They knew what was coming, and again, just from my perspective, it's the defining moment where United's fans likely realised we were no longer playing as equals, but that they would be approaching future games against Manchester City as the underdog.

Up until that point, that's the only time I had come away from a City game, where we'd lost at home, but with that same feeling of pride and eagerness to rewatch the game as if we'd won.

The Robinho signing made everybody sit up and take notice.

The semi final against United was the day we arrived.

The QPR 3-2 game to win the league was the day the players became legends.

One for me was the Newcastle game when we won the league in 2012. Even after our result at home against united, i never really truely believed we would win the league. I still thought id never see us win the league in my lifetime. For me that performance at Newcastle was a change in the mentality of the club and the fans. We went there to a Newcastle side who were still pushing for Europe and it was expected to be a really tough game. In previous years we would of made a right mess of it. Last minute penalty miss, stunning own goal lobbing the keeper or something similar we have all seen before. We bossed that game and gave a performance of true champions.

That was the first real time i dared to actually believe we would win it. I know the QPR game brought me back to reality of being a City fan, but i think that game showed a huge change in our approach and mentality.

1) Signing Robinho. Best advertising and marketing campaign money we ever spent
2) Jan 2009 - Signing De Jong; made us a hell of a lot tougher in cent midfield
3) Binning Hughes. Wasn't good enough and never was going to be
4) Summer 2010 - signing Ya Ya and David Silva, two talismanic players and world stars
5) Beating United at Wembley in the FA Cup semi-final - a proper statement and indication we had turned the tide
6) Winning the FA Cup, an immense moment of pride, joy and relief for a success starved fanbase
7) Signing Sergio Aguero. Nuff said.
8) Tanning United 6-1 - embarrassed them in their own backyard.
9) Facing down United again, and beating them 1-0, to put the title in sight.
10) Aguero's goal to clinch the Premier League - meant we'd climbed the mountain, and clinched it in the most dramatic fashion whilst also pipping our abhorrent neighbours to the title as well.

all these are huge moments and can't dispute the, but for me the signing of YaYa Toure is right up there, maybe not at the time but now, he is THE one they all (esp rags) fear and are most jealous of, a player they know would make a world 11 and they hate it.
hes not actually my favourite player although he might be the best, my favourites are Tevez, Silva, Milner but he's the one who does it in the big games when the world is watching and gets those highlight reel goals that they show on MOTD and makes everyone see WE ARE the elite now

The building of the Etihad Campus and stadium expansion might be worth mentioning as a defining moment. Financial Fair Play regulations is another one.

Number one has to be signing Mancini as manager, it had already been proven that a shit manager with all the money in the world was still a shit manager, Roberto molded the team into winners, and dragged that stupid banner down, going on to humiliate the f*ckers on their own midden being a real bonus.

Another that should be considered is our PR department boys who came up with "This is our city", and the series of posters around Manchester that tweaked the evil empires nose and finally brought it home to them that time was running out.........Tick, Tock.

The 1-0 against red shit in 2012 was the moment the shift in power became a fact, the 1-6 was being dismissed as a flute, but that one-nil was so one sided because of the control we displayed, that was the one that rattled them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.