Three In Midfield

the blue panther said:
Fame Monster said:
Glenn Hoddle:

"They played two in the middle against Bayern a couple of years back and got battered...it seems as though they've not learned their lesson".

Spot on Glen.

What was the point of sacking Mancini if the manager replacing him sets up his teams in the exact same way?

Can we please stop hiring shit managers?

Pardew in!!!
I wasn't sure whether that was serious or not

Heard that Pellegrini said there was nothing wrong with the system, it's just that the players passing was sub-par. I agree

We played a poor game. Nothing to do with tactics. Roma pressed the ball, and broke with pace, but we just weren't as good in possession as we normally are

I think we can at the very least get a draw over there. They weren't that good although I believe they may have some injured players to come back - but then so do we

FantasyIreland said:
If we can get all our players fit and available at the same time i'm confident we will progress.

--Zab--komps--Mangala---Kolarov
--------------Fernando--------
-----Fernandinho-------Milner-------
-----------------Silva------------------
---------Jovetic------Aguero----------

ffs

Mister Appointment said:
Can we please but this tired cliche to bed. Every week last season and seemingly every week this season people post "we better play three in midfield this week or we'll get overrun". We get overrun when the players don't do their jobs collectively at pressing when we don't have the ball.

In my eyes the ideal of the system we play is some sort of 4312 with one of the wide players stepping into the middle and the other stepping into the hole. Whether it's Silva/Nasri or Silva/Milner or Silva/Navas the jobs of all the players remain the same and they all have the tactical flexibility to play in all those positions in midfield.

Every top European team and pretty much every CL winning team for the last decade embraces this tired cliche

You could clearly see neither Dzeko nor Kun wanted to drop deep.They look at each other like "wtf" you drop not me kind of attitude .

We look like a bunch of school boys every time we come up against decent opposition with three in the middle. Sometimes our individual quality can bail us out but when it doesn't we look incredibly lethargic and way off other top teams in Europe. We can't even beat the Napolis/Romas of this world we can forget about beating the elite until we can start controlling games and playing like the champions of England.

We simply cannot afford to play a midfield 2 including Yaya and expect to get results against these good European sides, we get away with it in the league to an extent but put quite simply this problem has been recurring for 4 years now and has not been adressed.

To the poster who called it a tired old cliche im not sure Bayern, Barca, Madrid, Chelsea, Spain, Germany etc will agree with you, football has evolved and moved on from the late 90s, early 00s put simply, the best teams in the world all play with 1 focal point to their attack with runners off them

Marvin said:
the blue panther said:
Fame Monster said:
Glenn Hoddle:

"They played two in the middle against Bayern a couple of years back and got battered...it seems as though they've not learned their lesson".

Spot on Glen.

What was the point of sacking Mancini if the manager replacing him sets up his teams in the exact same way?

Can we please stop hiring shit managers?

Pardew in!!!
I wasn't sure whether that was serious or not

Heard that Pellegrini said there was nothing wrong with the system, it's just that the players passing was sub-par. I agree

We played a poor game. Nothing to do with tactics. Roma pressed the ball, and broke with pace, but we just weren't as good in possession as we normally are

I think we can at the very least get a draw over there. They weren't that good although I believe they may have some injured players to come back - but then so do we
Nothing wrong with the tactics really??.There was a considerable amount of difference in our attacking play once one of our strikers was subbed and frank and milner came on,we had much more control in the midfield then.If pellegrini still feels that there is nothing wrong with the team set up right from the beginning,then i dunno what to say.He really needs to be flexible tactically.

gazinho said:
We simply cannot afford to play a midfield 2 including Yaya and expect to get results against these good European sides, we get away with it in the league to an extent but put quite simply this problem has been recurring for 4 years now and has not been adressed.

To the poster who called it a tired old cliche im not sure Bayern, Barca, Madrid, Chelsea, Spain, Germany etc will agree with you, football has evolved and moved on from the late 90s, early 00s put simply, the best teams in the world all play with 1 focal point to their attack with runners off them
I'm not a fan of 442, but around November last year Pellegrini changed our formation slightly with one of the two forwards dropping deep into midfield when needed which is when our fortunes in the league started to change.

It took us until Dzeko went off to do this last night as up to that point, both he and Kun were mostly playing as 2 out and out strikers. When this change was effected, we took control of the match, but by this point time was rapidly running out and Roma started to play on the counter and adopted an attitude of 'what we have, we hold'.

Ultimately, I believe we shot ourselves in the foot on a night when we seemed strangely inferior to our usual selves. Do we have a mental block when it comes to the CL?

yaya in his current form only suits a three man midfield! Fernando is back on Saturday but I still believe our best and most dynamic team has one up top. fernandinho has been brilliant again this season and could allow yaya to push further up without leaving us exposed. the scary thing thing is that when we added to the midfield area last night it changed almost instantly and we pinned roma back!!! I`m a fan of manuel but he`s making the same mistakes in these sort of games and if Fernando would have been fit he would have dropped dinho and still played a 2 man centre midfield! when all fit I still think our best team for all competitions is:

hart
zab
vinny
mangala
kolarov
Fernando
fernandinho
yaya
silva
jovetic
Sergio

for tough away games edin should start as we spend more time having to lump the ball forward anyway. we have had a poor start really to this season and after buzzing for the start of it, I have to admit of not being as confident of success this season as I was. we seem very tired and misjointed and I wonder at times if its because the manager changes certain positions for the sake of change. we needed mangala`s pace and power last night! forget Saturday, vinny had 3 or 4 terrible games last season and he`s still one of the first names on the team sheet. clichy was poor again last night but then again was offered no protection from silva.

Was surprised he started 2 upfront after as people have already said the way previous Champs League games have gone with that system. I suppose after playing 2 upfront at home against a team as good as Chelsea only a couple of weeks ago though he might have thought it should be able to work in Europe against Roma too. After that performance last night though I'd be surprised if he tries it again. You will always concede plenty of possession against most Europeans sides but without 2 hardworking central midfielders it's becomes too much. Yaya is obviously a big problem but there is another one if we only play one upfront. Our best striker is not our best lone striker and it really doesn't suit him. I thought he took the wrong striker off last night but it was hardly a surprise.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.