Player topic: Yaya Toure 2014/15 (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Player topic: Yaya Toure (2014/15)

Most obvious thing from last night was just how badly he has lost that 'zip' to go away from people. Two or three times he got into good positions where he had defenders stood up and would previously have driven past them; now, his legs look completely shot.

The problem is that we still miss him when he doesn't play, becuase our other options in the centre of midfield simply aren't good enough on the ball. The only role I can see him playing effectively is that of a Pirlo or Alonso, told to sit deep and try and dictate play from there, with more mobile and willing midfielders either side of him.

Goal aside he was very poor last night. Yet this has been the case all season and no great surprise. In hindsight the club should have cashed in last summer. He has been a great player for us over four years but the sign of a club run perfectly is when they know when to release a player. Yaya will have a swan song in Seria A where he will have time and space. For us two things stood out last night. 1. Yaya only look bothered at about 70 mins onward when Lampard's arrival gave him freedom and he had no responsibility to actually track back or tackle. and 2. The system of us playing so slowly through Yaya must end NOW! On more than one occasion we had 35-40 passes moving sideways, back and forth - whereas I like possession football, every time recently this possession has led to absolutely nothing. How many games have we had in excess of 60% possession and not won?
It is no coincidence that teams like Bayern, Barca, Real are on a different level to us - not only they can play possession football they can counter and frighten teams to death with power and pace. Sadly with Yaya and Edin in the team that is not an option. Remember away at Spurs that was a period when we could do that. Some harsh truths net addressing and for me first on that list is getting shut of Yaya, Dzeko and Sagna (from lasts night's first 11) - I will go as far to say I wouldn't care if those three never played again for us!

As great a player he is, he should have been sold last summer. He is an asset and as such, the skill is knowing when to cash in on that asset because he has given you all he can.

FFP fucked it because im certain he would have been sold had we the ability to replace last summer.

blueinsa said:
As great a player he is, he should have been sold last summer.

Not with FFP stopping us from making serious attempts to replace him. Will be diff this summer, be interesting to see what the club do but my money is on the Tevez treatment. Keep him one more season then fuck him off. Still baffled by how Inter who are about to fail FFP big time this summer are going to sign him. Would say a more likely destination would be PSG or Juve if he went this summer.

Said it before and I'll say it again. The man is a disgrace.

While we're at it shouldnt we also blame him for our disallowed penalty? Shocking positional play blocking the refs view like that

Thanks for the memories Yaya but it is now time for him to go.

He's now like the washed up, over the hill ex Heavyweight World champion who is well past his prime and getting beat up of journeymen. Puncheon ran rings around him last night which says it all really.

In his peak he was arguably the best player to ever grace the PL but unfortunately time has caught up with him. Time to sent him to Italy where he can probably play at a top level for another 3 years.

Aren't we stuck with him ? Hasn't he pencilled himself in as the clubs ambassador or something ?

We should never forget his contribution but time to move on this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.