Discussion: Potential Pellegrini Replacements {merged}

• Thread starter Deleted member 58678
  • Start date
Mister Appointment said:
spanishblue said:
Mister Appointment said:
If you believe that you're simply not paying attention. The club aren't going to publicly espouse certain core values and then throw them out if they don't bring instant results.

It's really that simple. The next guy will be a variation on Pellegrini who will play the same 'style' for want of a better word, that fits with the club's core footballing values.

I think this says different.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/11526320/Manchester-City-will-not-sacrifice-their-attacking-philosophy-despite-recent-defeats-insists-Ferran-Soriano.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... riano.html</a>

Ha. On the contrary I think that just reaffirms what i've just posted. City aren't going to change their core beliefs because of a sequence of poor results. They're more likely to change the manager and the playing staff if they feel something needs changing.

Sorry if not clear but was posted to agree with you :-)

Being a little more flexible and pragmatic does not mean throwing the footballing phillosophical baby out with the bathwater. Barca have adapted their play over the years without recourse to jettisoning their core values. MP is just incredibly intransitent and stubborn far too often and I believe this will be his downfall - eventually

spanishblue said:
Mister Appointment said:
spanishblue said:
I think this says different.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/11526320/Manchester-City-will-not-sacrifice-their-attacking-philosophy-despite-recent-defeats-insists-Ferran-Soriano.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... riano.html</a>

Ha. On the contrary I think that just reaffirms what i've just posted. City aren't going to change their core beliefs because of a sequence of poor results. They're more likely to change the manager and the playing staff if they feel something needs changing.

No worries at all mate!

I think we all need to relax and take a step back from fretting about potential replacements for Pellegrini and/or stressing about what our 'style' is and what it means for the club. We're in a position where there will be some transitions this summer and some changes - maybe even at management level - but we have a more than capable set of executives in place to make those calls.

FWIW on the various links to Sabella/Benitez/Ancelotti. To me it seems pretty apparent that all three men are currently negotiating (or trying to) deals with other clubs. That doesn't mean that City haven't spoken to them, just that those people have chosen to go public because they're negotiating with other clubs too. I'd be interested to know which managers we're talking to who aren't in the public domain because it's not in their interest for it to be public.

You are thinking too short-term. I am certainly listening to Soriano, but he is just espousing his own philosophy there and one which he has been asked to implement at City in his position as CEO. CEOs come and go though and so do their philosophies.

My point was rather that the long term development of the club is independent of the style of play, after another poster said a change would be giving up on our long term plans.

Mister Appointment said:
halfcenturyup said:
They are predicated on success, not on a playing style. We could play the Barca way, the Real way, the Bayern way or the Blackburn way for that matter. That is just a tactical choice and can be changed instantly if it isn't working to a more successful way.

If you believe that you're simply not paying attention. The club aren't going to publicly espouse certain core values and then throw them out if they don't bring instant results.

It's really that simple. The next guy will be a variation on Pellegrini who will play the same 'style' for want of a better word, that fits with the club's core footballing values.

Mister Appointment said:
spanishblue said:
Mister Appointment said:

No worries at all mate!

I think we all need to relax and take a step back from fretting about potential replacements for Pellegrini and/or stressing about what our 'style' is and what it means for the club. We're in a position where there will be some transitions this summer and some changes - maybe even at management level - but we have a more than capable set of executives in place to make those calls.

FWIW on the various links to Sabella/Benitez/Ancelotti. To me it seems pretty apparent that all three men are currently negotiating (or trying to) deals with other clubs. That doesn't mean that City haven't spoken to them, just that those people have chosen to go public because they're negotiating with other clubs too. I'd be interested to know which managers we're talking to who aren't in the public domain because it's not in their interest for it to be public.

I am not worried about the future of the club (I know we could not be in better hands) it's the next seven games I fear for

halfcenturyup said:
My point was rather that the long term development of the club is independent of the style of play, after another poster said a change would be giving up on our long term plans.

Again, do you have any evidence to back up the idea that our long term development is independent of a style of play? Because right now we have a CEO who is travelling the world setting up football clubs on behalf of Sheikh Mansour and asking them all to buy into their style of play. This isn't a small decision made in isolation which can be ditched as soon as Soriano moves on. It's something which is actually being embedded at the root of the CFG. All those clubs will make recruitment decisions based on the style. All of them are publicly talking about this style and embracing it.

It doesn't get any more long term than that.

Evidence that something may happen in the future? No. Nor do you have any evidence that something won't happen in the future.

Football evolves. The style of play the club adopts will evolve as well. Does that mean that the club is giving up its long term plans? No, it means it is ensuring their continuation.

In a way, we are agreeing. I accept readily and without hesitation that the future of the club is secure and that we shouldn't worry too much about style (as long as it is succesaful). Where we disagree is whether that style is fundamental to the development of the club. I don't think so.

The Academy yes. Commercial development yes. Stadium expansion yes.

Style of play no.

Mister Appointment said:
halfcenturyup said:

Again, do you have any evidence to back up the idea that our long term development is independent of a style of play? Because right now we have a CEO who is travelling the world setting up football clubs on behalf of Sheikh Mansour and asking them all to buy into their style of play. This isn't a small decision made in isolation which can be ditched as soon as Soriano moves on. It's something which is actually being embedded at the root of the CFG. All those clubs will make recruitment decisions based on the style. All of them are publicly talking about this style and embracing it.

It doesn't get any more long term than that.

halfcenturyup said:
Evidence that something may happen in the future? No. Nor do you have any evidence that something won't happen in the future.

Yes but I have evidence of what's going on now. As I've just said to you, we have a CEO flying all over the world opening new football clubs for the CFG and talking about a single footballing identity. You're saying this isn't important when clearly it's central to the long term plans for the CFG.

Football evolves. The style of play the club adopts will evolve as well. Does that mean that the club is giving up its long term plans? No, it means it is ensuring their continuation.

Football may well evolve but the basic tenets of what constitutes attacking football remains the same.

In a way, we are agreeing. I accept readily and without hesitation that the future of the club is secure and that we shouldn't worry too much about style (as long as it is succesaful). Where we disagree is whether that style is fundamental to the development of the club. I don't think so.

This is becoming a semantic argument about what constitutes 'fundamental' to the club's development. IMO the style of play we employ is. The club do also, and Sheikh Mansour clearly does as he's asking our CEO to have a single footballing identity across the entire CFG and asking him to make this public.

I get the impression that a lot of people (not just you) think that it's Ferran and Txiki pushing their ideas onto City. I see it quite the opposite, Abu Dhabi had a vision for the club and then went out and employed people who were in line with that vision to implement it.

The style sounds great but doing parts of it like high line, but not doing parts like high pressing to win the ball back in the attacking third a lot is tactically criminal.

The personnel we have maybe not able to to do it. I am not sure of it maybe Pelle not able to transform them. Good example is Robben. He wasnt one to track back in his early career, or later at Real or at the beginning of his Bayern career. But slowly under Heynckes he started to become a big team player, helping out defence, pressing high, tracking back when needed, same with Ribery on other side.

mike channon´s windmill said:
Being a little more flexible and pragmatic does not mean throwing the footballing phillosophical baby out with the bathwater. Barca have adapted their play over the years without recourse to jettisoning their core values. MP is just incredibly intransitent and stubborn far too often and I believe this will be his downfall - eventually

Correct, people aren't calling for Pellegrini to start playing like Wimbledon, but to adopt a more pragmatic approach that suits our current squad of players better. Something along the lines of:

-------------------Hart-----------------

Zabaleta----Kompany---Mangala-----Clichy

------------Yaya----Fenandinho---------

---Milner--------Nasri---------Silva-----

---------------Aguero-------------------

This is hardly turning us into Stoke Fucking City is it? I'd argue it's actually a more 'attacking' side because of the extra playmaker dictating play and controlling possession. Hugely frustrating that we rarely get to see this.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.