Early Retirement

^^This if finances allow. It's an old cliche, but no one does ever lie on their death beds (or next to the bed of someone dear) wishing they'd spent more time at work.

Helmet Cole said:
^^This if finances allow. It's an old cliche, but no one does ever lie on their death beds (or next to the bed of someone dear) wishing they'd spent more time at work.

they might if for example they enjoyed they're job and got made redundant

Fair enough -and it seems succesful folk who are working for themselves resent giving up what has probably been a hard built empire. I'm currently changing my own retirement plans and giving up a job/career I love 10 years early (along with a big chunk of pension) for what me and Mrs HC think will lead to a better overall quality of life for us all. Iv'e seen the las 2 generations of my family have early retirement 'forced' upon them, but in the long term it's worked out for the best I think. To quote anothe cliche - there's no pockets in shrouds/ you can't take it with you.
Happily the last govt here removed the 'discrimination' that forced us to retire at 65 - personally I can think of other more pressing issues than giving us the 'freedom' to work until the day we die. Each to their own though YMMV.

I gave up work a few years ago, paid the mortgage off, and did nowt for a while. I realised that I needed human contact during the day, you know the bit where all your friends are at work and you are at home staring at your garden willing up the energy to do something with it. My wife would get a constant stream of more bollocks than usual when she came through the door.

After 1 year I'd had enough and went back to my old job, this lasted until January this year when I got offered a part time postie job which I bit off their hands. 4 days a week, 6 hours a day contract, start usually around 8.30 and home by 1pm and still get the full 6 hours plus you can claim for overtime if you don't stop for lunch etc etc...

Means I now wake up at a normal time, push bike to work, have time for a pint after and still get back in time to run the hoover round and sort dinner out. Missus is happy to see me happy and I get to have some cash in my pocket as well.

No idea what I'm saying Ron, probably something along the lines of, get a part time job or you'll go nuts.

BimboBob said:
I gave up work a few years ago, paid the mortgage off, and did nowt for a while. I realised that I needed human contact during the day, you know the bit where all your friends are at work and you are at home staring at your garden willing up the energy to do something with it. My wife would get a constant stream of more bollocks than usual when she came through the door.

After 1 year I'd had enough and went back to my old job, this lasted until January this year when I got offered a part time postie job which I bit off their hands. 4 days a week, 6 hours a day contract, start usually around 8.30 and home by 1pm and still get the full 6 hours plus you can claim for overtime if you don't stop for lunch etc etc...

Means I now wake up at a normal time, push bike to work, have time for a pint after and still get back in time to run the hoover round and sort dinner out. Missus is happy to see me happy and I get to have some cash in my pocket as well.

No idea what I'm saying Ron, probably something along the lines of, get a part time job or you'll go nuts.

I will need something to do that's for sure. currently live my life at 100 MPH and coming to a screeching halt probably isn't the best idea

Train driver? 60k a year, piece of piss the thing drives itself mostly and you can probably read your kindle in between stations and have tunes on in the cab.

i have been talking myself out of retiring at 55 (51 now) but tonight's news has made me have a change of heart

My Mum called me to tell me that her cousin's husband has had a major heart attack (65) and he isn't expected to make it.... they are a lovely couple too

Take your chances early I was always taught in the mob so I am going to take that advice on board and plan to hang the boots up

Do it if you can I reckon, you are a long time dead

It depends what your job is. If your job is challenging,rewarding, well paid and enjoyable then why give it up. If on the other hand you have a shit job it is a different story. I believe you need a reason to get up in the morning.

It depends what your job is. If your job is challenging,rewarding, well paid and enjoyable then why give it up. If on the other hand you have a shit job it is a different story. I believe you need a reason to get up in the morning.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.