******Cricket Thread******

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the problem KP has, the middle order is very settled and very good. The only option might be to push Root back up to open but I don't see that happening now. Bringing back Trott is just ridiculous. He was on the slide a while before he left and with a summer full of some seriously fast bowlers, bringing him back, and opening with him, is beyond ridiculous. I would try Lyth next to Cook for a while and if that doesn't work then they might have to again go back to Compton.

I wonder if KP would be interested in opening. All around the world now teams are opening with aggressive batsmen, it might just work. But it would be hard for him to do that at this stage of his career

Well batted Ballance, real gritty character, perfect for number 3, very strong cutter of the ball but unlike Cook if you over pitch he will punish you as well.

Need to get the long handle out now, see how many we can biff quickly see if we can get over 400 lead and have a dart at them before tea.

Paul Lake's Left Knee said:
jay_mcfc said:
School girl cricket that runout, shocking stuff. These 2 really need to put on a decent stand now get us up to a 250 lead and then Stokes and Butler can put their foot down and biff a few when they get in.

Balance is class. Good to see him hitting a bit of form ahead of a busy summer. Him, Root and Bell are a real classy 3,4 and 5.

Very true not a lot wrong with those 3, then we have Ali, Stokes and Butler coming in after them, there isnt a lot of problems if we start slowly as those 3 are natural stroke makers who will score fast enough. The opening slots are a real worry, cant keep exposing that middle order to the new ball. I'd understand the selection of Trott, if he was in form and back to what he was before his issues, but it doesnt appear he is. Cook has been figured out, just keep the ball up to him and he is a very limited batsman.

Not sure where KP would fit into this team to be honest. Which one of Ballance, Bell or Root would you drop for him?

None of them. KP has been consigned to history as far as England is concerned and quite rightly so.

Davs 19 said:
jay_mcfc said:
Balance is class. Good to see him hitting a bit of form ahead of a busy summer. Him, Root and Bell are a real classy 3,4 and 5.

Very true not a lot wrong with those 3, then we have Ali, Stokes and Butler coming in after them, there isnt a lot of problems if we start slowly as those 3 are natural stroke makers who will score fast enough. The opening slots are a real worry, cant keep exposing that middle order to the new ball. I'd understand the selection of Trott, if he was in form and back to what he was before his issues, but it doesnt appear he is. Cook has been figured out, just keep the ball up to him and he is a very limited batsman.

Not sure where KP would fit into this team to be honest. Which one of Ballance, Bell or Root would you drop for him?

None of them. KP has been consigned to history as far as England is concerned and quite rightly so.

I agree Davs, time to look to the future, it was more a question for Jay as I know he's a KP fan.

I couple more overs and i'd declare, think we've got enough now, dont want to be in a similar position as we were last time in the Windies.

Decent declaration though, if you're being VERY harsh, maybe 20-40 runs more than they'll (hopefully!) need. Excellent knocks by Ballance and Buttler. Pity Root didn't go on to make a ton. Time now for Jimbo to write himself into the record books.

I see Geoffry Boycott is on the KP to open v Australia campaign. It's the only way back for him, and it is the only problem England have with their batting so it could just happen. I think Cook might prefer to play with a more aggressive opening partner anyway (apparently it was the reason Compton was dropped). So that is the only slightly open door for a return but to be honest Lythe should be given a go in the next test, he's earned it.

jay_mcfc said:
I see Geoffry Boycott is on the KP to open v Australia campaign. It's the only way back for him, and it is the only problem England have with their batting so it could just happen. I think Cook might prefer to play with a more aggressive opening partner anyway (apparently it was the reason Compton was dropped). So that is the only slightly open door for a return but to be honest Lythe should be given a go in the next test, he's earned it.

I think it's crazy they've put Trott back in the team to open. The West Indies are an awful side, particularly with the ball and to fail to score runs against them isn't what we need ahead of the Ashes. Cook is woefully out of form but I think he'll be fine for the Ashes and he'll step up to the plate. Lyth should have been given the chance to open, with Ali out injured. As others have mentioned, he deserves a shot. It might not work out but he does need to be tried in that roll with enough time to settle before the Ashes. I wouldn't promote any of Bell, Root or Ballance. Maybe in a year or so Root or Ballance could open but for now they are proving a perfect batting order that is able to dig the side out of tough situations. That's exactly what we need. If we can get a good opening partnership sorted then we'll be in a very good position where batting is concerned. Particularly as Buttler and Jordan can bat pretty well so we've got runs right down the order (Burnley Lara excluded - sometimes!).

Still think our bowling attack needs work - but it's improving. Once Anderson gets this record it should relax him enough to really go at the Aussies. Broad is getting a bit of form back, Jordan seems to have got his confidence in at International level - bowling a lot more economically and Tredwell has done well too - and Stokes has been aggressive.

If they can keep that up and take a lot of wickets in this tour then they'll be ready for the Aussies. There's plenty of anger and aggression there and we'll get at Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.