Discussion: Potential Pellegrini Replacements {merged}

• Thread starter Deleted member 58678
  • Start date
It could be a mad summer in terms of managerial changes. Depending on results and trophies Ancelotti could well be available... in fact, it might not even matter what he wins. I'd throw Liverpool and Rodgers into the frame as well. I think the pressure will well and truly be on his neck this summer with a huge outlay and no trophies... he's gone from the chosen one to the clueless one.

Bayern and Pep are both distancing themselves from rumours they will part company. Not surprising at all. City and Pellegrini are doing the same. What the top dogs are thinking is likely to depend on things come the end of May. Bayern might not be happy with a failure to win the CL and Pep might be gone if, as Tolmie suggests likely, they sit down to try and extend his contract just to give them security and deter the City and Pep rumours that are gathering momentum. Pep would reveal his cards then, though I still don't think he's keen on a move here. Would Barca look for him to return should they miss out on trophies this season? I wouldn't rule that out.

If Liverpool do look for a new manager then Klopp would be high on their list and I don't think he'd be worried by their exile from the CL. But then there's not a club on the planet that wouldn't want him this summer - I just don't think he'd choose to go to Bayern quite yet. It's not his style.

BobKowalski said:
I mean put it this way its not going to be a bleeding disaster if our choices are Pep, Carlo or Klopp is it?

I agree. We're certainly come a long way from being turned down by Dave Bassett.

There is a further possibility regarding Pep at Bayern, where they offer him a new deal but don't make it public. He tells them that he is not willing to sign & they look for a new manager during the course of next season, whilst in public stating that all negotiations with Pep will be done at the end of the season, as agreed when he originally signed.

It didn't do them any harm when the last manager was planning on leaving, they won everything then replaced him with Pep Guardiola.

I'm not sure clubs abroad buy into the English way of thinking that you 'can't' do this & you 'have to ' do that. If they fancy having Pep for one more season whilst they find a replacement, I recon they will just do exactly that.

The question imo is whether they sack him if they don't win the CL. Then if they do, whether Pep would be willing to take over at a club, who sack their manager. I think he probably won't.

I think our only chance is likely to be by keeping Pellegrini on for one more season. Then Pep takes over amicably. I imagine he will let Txiki know soon enough what his intentions are, if he hasn't already, & that may decide the immediate future of Pellegrini.

Neville Kneville said:
I think our only chance is likely to be by keeping Pellegrini on for one more season. Then Pep takes over amicably. I imagine he will let Txiki know soon enough what his intentions are, if he hasn't already, & that may decide the immediate future of Pellegrini.

Txiki is on a flight to Munich today (reported by the rag Ogden on) to watch Porto's Brahimi and Sandro again as I think they are serious on Brahimi... but I'm sure Txiki will be speaking face to face with Pep after the CL result...

blueparrot said:
As one that would prefer Pep to Klopp, whats your opinion on waiting a year, if it was a choice between Klopp now or Pellegrini for a season and Pep the next year which would you go for. I can't make my mind up which I would prefer. Assuming Pep was guaranteed, I know we can't know that and only a handful of people could know.

That is a tricky one and I am glad that I would not in reality have to make that call. Of course the question might be much easier for Txiki to conclude on, for many reasons.

I would prefer Klopp to Pellegrini and that has long been the case but I am not as down on MP as many are. If he shows more signs of the pragmatism in his formation that he displayed at the weekend, I would be even less down on him. I think that with the right changes to the squad in the summer, changes we need regardless of manager, he would have us in contention for the title and at worst top four; obviously, he needs to finish this season well enough to back such claims up.

Therefore, if Pep was a dead cert to arrive in summer 2016, I would be inclined to wait but in reality that would be a huge risk (i.e. I don't see how he can be certain to move to us) and that would make me jump for Klopp. Bit of a hedged answer but I frequently tend to view the world as shades of gray rather than black and white.

ewok said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Perhaps when trying to determine the direction City will take this Summer, we need to look at it from other perspectives.

Should Bayern again come up short in the Champions League, whether tonight, or between now and the Final, does anyone really think a club of Bayern's standing will allow this ongoing narrative that their manager is simply in a 12-month holding pattern for City?

Would they fuck.

If nothing else, Guardiola will be offered a contract extension which would essentially put-to-bed any type of talk which could impact their own team, going forward, and also guarantee a compensation package at the time of his removal or we did come knocking.

Ironically, that would be a good way of calling Pep's bluff, both on behalf of Bayern AND City.

If he then chooses to decline an invitation to extend, Bayern will have a decision to make at the end of this season.

The presence of Klopp in the marketplace has really provided us with a win-win situation.

Pep signs a new deal, pressured by Bayern, or he doesn't.

Either way, we end up with Klopp or Pep this summer.

Whether by design or by luck, Guardiola is unable to set the timetable or the agenda, without revealing his hand.

In terms of solely debating whether Pellegrini will remain in charge, the above landscape delivers a resounding no.

That's a lot of presuming though, if Klopp has fallen out of the running then most of the above doesn't apply.

No presumption, simply the dynamic that exists because both Pep and Manuel have 12 months remaining.

Both clubs would be at liberty to offer new deals to ensure nothing impacts the team's chances next season.

Unless we are saying Klopp is not in the running even if Pep signs an extension.

If it gets to that stage, the lunatics really have taken over the asylum with regards the key decision-makers at he club.

Neville Kneville said:
There is a further possibility regarding Pep at Bayern, where they offer him a new deal but don't make it public. He tells them that he is not willing to sign & they look for a new manager during the course of next season, whilst in public stating that all negotiations with Pep will be done at the end of the season, as agreed when he originally signed.

It didn't do them any harm when the last manager was planning on leaving, they won everything then replaced him with Pep Guardiola.

I'm not sure clubs abroad buy into the English way of thinking that you 'can't' do this & you 'have to ' do that. If they fancy having Pep for one more season whilst they find a replacement, I recon they will just do exactly that.

The question imo is whether they sack him if they don't win the CL. Then if they do, whether Pep would be willing to take over at a club, who sack their manager. I think he probably won't.

Not a chance.

Pep signing a deal in secret or in public would be the absolute end of him ever coming to City.

I doubt very much City would want to pay the best part of a new £30m compensation package to Bayern, especially so, when Guardiola would have demonstrated his lack of appetite for the City job by signing a deal which makes it even more cost-prohibitive, and all this despite being supposedly Txiki's best pal.

If we are gonna stick with this "tiki-taka", "Barca" bullshit, then we should do it right. And no one does that system better than Pep.

If we aren't, then I love to see Simeone manage the team.

OB1 said:
blueparrot said:
As one that would prefer Pep to Klopp, whats your opinion on waiting a year, if it was a choice between Klopp now or Pellegrini for a season and Pep the next year which would you go for. I can't make my mind up which I would prefer. Assuming Pep was guaranteed, I know we can't know that and only a handful of people could know.

That is a tricky one and I am glad that I would not in reality have to make that call. Of course the question might be much easier for Txiki to conclude on, for many reasons.

I would prefer Klopp to Pellegrini and that has long been the case but I am not as down on MP as many are. If he shows more signs of the pragmatism in his formation that he displayed at the weekend, I would be even less down on him. I think that with the right changes to the squad in the summer, changes we need regardless of manager, he would have us in contention for the title and at worst top four; obviously, he needs to finish this season well enough to back such claims up.

Therefore, if Pep was a dead cert to arrive in summer 2016, I would be inclined to wait but in reality that would be a huge risk (i.e. I don't see how he can be certain to move to us) and that would make me jump for Klopp. Bit of a hedged answer but I frequently tend to view the world as shades of gray rather than black and white.

Think I'm in exactly the same place as you are with it, lets just say if Pelligrini is with us next season with a rejuvinated team I wouldn't be too disappointed , unless at the end of next season we end up with somebody else not as good as Klopp.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.