Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2014/15 (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didsbury Dave said:
OB1 said:
City have lots of room for improvement but I just don't think we are as far off as many appear to. Also, we are trying to develop a way of playing that will leave us short of numbers at the back at times.

I couldn't agree more. I'm absolutely and totally optimistic that a few clever sales and signings will transform us. Chelsea won the league easily, yet it was obvious in both games against them that we were the better team. So many reliable players have underperformed this year for whatever reason.

I am not sure many people think we are far off, in fact I imagine most would think we should, and could, have made a better fist of it this year. Anyway, that is the past.

Lessons have been learned, hopefully, and as you say a few ins and outs could make the difference for next year. Let's see what the summer brings in terms of players and manager. It sounds good, let's see what crystallises.

Didsbury Dave said:
OB1 said:
City have lots of room for improvement but I just don't think we are as far off as many appear to. Also, we are trying to develop a way of playing that will leave us short of numbers at the back at times.

I couldn't agree more. I'm absolutely and totally optimistic that a few clever sales and signings will transform us. Chelsea won the league easily, yet it was obvious in both games against them that we were the better team. So many reliable players have underperformed this year for whatever reason.

I agree as well. I think something which to a greater or lesser extent we all have to get used to, is that we will be more open than we were back when Mancini was manager whether we have MP in charge or Pep or any other manager espousing the high line, high press, all out attack mentality which we're trying to foster. It's sort of the nature of the beast that if and when the press is avoided or if the opposition pick the right passes and execute them well, then we'll look like a very open side.

Damocles said:
Should be sacked on Monday if he plays a full team against Soton. Simple as that.

One or two may get some game time but while there is something at stake i.e. Europa League positions I think City are obligated to play a near full strength team, much the same as the rags and West Ham are due to relegation being at stake.

There are post season and pre season tours coming up where the youth will be given opportunities.

halfcenturyup said:
Didsbury Dave said:
OB1 said:

I am not sure many people think we are far off, in fact I imagine most would think we should, and could, have made a better fist of it this year. Anyway, that is the past.

Lessons have been learned, hopefully, and as you say a few ins and outs could make the difference for next year. Let's see what the summer brings in terms of players and manager. It sounds good, let's see what crystallises.

We should DEFINITELY have made a better fist of this year. You won't find me in the "second is a good season" camp. If you're the best team you should be champions. I do, however, think there have been mitigating circumstances and if the manager keeps his job I still have faith in him delivering the goods next year. If we get can correctly replace Ya Ya and Nasri, that in itself should do it. So step forward Txiki and the board. And the players.

Shirley said:
Damocles said:
Should be sacked on Monday if he plays a full team against Soton. Simple as that.

One or two may get some game time but while there is something at stake i.e. Europa League positions I think City are obligated to play a near full strength team, much the same as the rags and West Ham are due to relegation being at stake.

There are post season and pre season tours coming up where the youth will be given opportunities.

That is an excellent point: Spurs won't want us fielding a weakened side.

Shirley said:
Damocles said:

Rubbish. City should come first, simple as. Who cares about our 'obligation' is, Chelsea have been doing it and rightly so. If he's not going to play some youngsters in a nothing game then he's never going to risk them when it counts for something. How are our youngsters ever going to get prem league experience?

Damocles said:
OB1 said:
Damocles said:

I agree with much that you say but I hope that is a wind-up. Not that I don't think he should give a youngster or two a taste of the first team. He also though needs to let one or two have their City Swansong and deliver another win against a team that will be up for it. Ending the season as the form team in the division is something positive to take into next season.

It's not a one off thing. He has consistently and constantly failed to give young lads any chances unless absolutely forced into it and even then only sparingly. The excuse is always that the game is too important to our season to do so.

No excuses for it this time. If he is as holistic and youth oriented as he and others have claimed then he can fit them in and allow them a taste of Premier League standard of football. Anything else represents a failure to do his job correctly as manager of Manchester City. Which means he should go.

Lots of reasons he should go but this isn't one of them. Iheanacho will get minutes on the pitch. The others that I'd like to
see: Lopes. Rekkik and Denayer are all on loan. I would hope Rekkik replaces Boyata in the squad next season, Lopes
returns and Iheanacho stays. Denayer is still a kid and probably needs another year away before replacing Martin for 2016-17.
That's 4 players we're developing and that are close to breaking through. Not all of them will make it. The others are miles off
yet and shouldn't be rushed. Pellegrini talks to Txiki and Viera, between them I think they know whats what. Be patient.

OB1 said:
Shirley said:
Damocles said:

That is an excellent point: Spurs won't want us fielding a weakened side.

Should have thought about that before they went on a run of two wins in seven.

OB1 said:
Exeter Blue I am here said:
OB1 said:
It's quite well known in these here parts that one of my favourite stats is shots per game conceded. Sadly we are no longer the team conceding fewest shots: the Rags have that honour with 9.9 per game, the it's our opponents on Sunday, Southampton, with 10; followed by City on 10.1. Narrow enough to maybe change on Sunday.

Last season we did concede the fewest shots, at 9.4 per game. So although we are conceding more shots this season, it amounts to less than one per game. So, with respect to adrianr, his observation does not hold water.

If I didn't know different - thanks to you telling me ;-) - I'd probably have made the same observation as adrianr. I guess then it's just a perception that we concede more shots than other teams, perhaps created by the way we defend and by the number of those opposition chances that seem clear cut (like Nathan Dyer's on Sunday). Whatever, we may not yield many opportunities, but it's still a good job that Joe Hart is the best one on one shot stopper in the world, cos the number of times his Schmeichelesque starfish routine has come to the rescue seems on the high side in my mind

That's the beauty of stats for me, they can help you distinguish perception from reality.

Look I'm a nervous passenger at the best of times in the pantechnicon that is now MCFC. I am "well known" at matches for regularly proclaiming that I won't be happy until we are three up and I've been saying that for years; even when sat there watching games that my head tells me we are not going to concede in.

I think City look far more vulnerable than they actually are defensively. Part of that could be the offside tap: you end up with teams appearing to come close when in fact the trap has worked a treat - effective but tough on the nerves. When it doesn't work, it is a recipe for a one-on-one. It's not just this that makes us look vulnerable. The space we leave in midfield has been done to death and two of my big gripes are cheap fouls that allow opponents to launch high balls in and the failure to prevent opponents crossing in open play.

Shit, if you're a nervous passenger what the fuck does that make me?!! I start each game with a set of rosary beads the size of watermelons and by the end, well you've seen bigger orbs on an ant

bugsyblue said:
Shirley said:
Damocles said:

Rubbish. City should come first, simple as. Who cares about our 'obligation' is, Chelsea have been doing it and rightly so. If he's not going to play some youngsters in a nothing game then he's never going to risk them when it counts for something. How are our youngsters ever going to get prem league experience?
Of course it was rubbish, in fact it was a fuckin stupid post
Obligation to help spurs out by not fielding a couple of youngsters, Deary me
The mind boggles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.