******Cricket Thread******

Status
Not open for further replies.
28tbdav.jpg

2lbkx1e.jpg

Daft to criticise Cook after that. He knows the last three are walking wickets and if they got us all out for 270 they would have chased that down a piece of piss at Lords. The game has changed so all of these stats about chases are becoming irrelevant.

Considering the position last night, and at 30/4 on Thursday this has been a great day for England and the captain. To even be in a position where a declaration is possible is pretty extraordinary. It doesn't change much as we all knew the batting would be strong and long and that the problem is taking 20 wickets, but it's a big step in the right direction. I said I don't think England will win a test this summer and I stand by that even though there is a chance it could fall at the first hurdle tomorrow. But with this performance and Gillespie coming in before the Ashes I'm more optimistic about the future now than I was a few days ago. We still need a bowler or two though.

jay_mcfc said:
Daft to criticise Cook after that. He knows the last three are walking wickets and if they got us all out for 270 they would have chased that down a piece of piss at Lords. The game has changed so all of these stats about chases are becoming irrelevant.

Considering the position last night, and at 30/4 on Thursday this has been a great day for England and the captain. To even be in a position where a declaration is possible is pretty extraordinary. It doesn't change much as we all knew the batting would be strong and long and that the problem is taking 20 wickets, but it's a big step in the right direction. I said I don't think England will win a test this summer and I stand by that even though there is a chance it could fall at the first hurdle tomorrow. But with this performance and Gillespie coming in before the Ashes I'm more optimistic about the future now than I was a few days ago. We still need a bowler or two though.

Its fuckin bitter thats what it is
I got in from football and heard every man and their dog praising him on sky, I knew the usual culprit who hates him would have a pop...The mind boggles..

jay_mcfc said:

And with that comes a mentality "well because we were so crap before this is good enough".

Upping the tempo in that match situation and declaring tonight is the mark of a top-class, positive, modern team.

That's what we should be aiming for.

It's been a very good day, and Cook did a good batting job when needed, but he and Moeen went into their shell rather than take the opportunity to put runs on the board and be positive, and that's still the old boys mentality and needs to change for England to get back to the top.

At the end of the day it's telling that we're saying it's such a good day that some of our batsmen batted well and put us in a strong-ish position, that's how much expectation has fallen clearly. Like saying we should keep the same squad at City because we won the last 6 games, rather than realise we need to improve our style, and come back with verve and purpose and be a ruthless, championship winning team again.

Still the same core, but a different philosophy and approach, that's what Cook needs to develop, I'm not asking for him to slog it out the park and play like Stokes, but he could have gradually upped his rate through the innings, moved it up to 70/80 odd when NZ were on the back foot and over the course of a few hours that's 50/60 extra runs, and the difference between declaring tonight and risking it on good weather and 10 wickets tomorrow.

It's just evolution, and the longer we go without it the more urgently I want to see it implemented.

The cookie monster said:
jay_mcfc said:

Its fuckin bitter thats what it is
I got in from football and heard every man and their dog praising him on sky, I knew the usual culprit who hates him would have a pop...The mind boggles..

Is it? or is it just the fact that 50/60 extra runs on the board and a NZ wicket or 2 in the bag is a better position than 10 wickets to get with less than a 300 run lead?

He batted well, and did a great job this morning, he needed to up it and get us that extra edge, tis all.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
And with that comes a mentality "well because we were so crap before this is good enough".

Upping the tempo in that match situation and declaring tonight is the mark of a top-class, positive, modern team.

That's what we should be aiming for.

It's been a very good day, and Cook did a good batting job when needed, but he and Moeen went into their shell rather than take the opportunity to put runs on the board and be positive, and that's still the old boys mentality and needs to change for England to get back to the top.

At the end of the day it's telling that we're saying it's such a good day that some of our batsmen batted well and put us in a strong-ish position, that's how much expectation has fallen clearly. Like saying we should keep the same squad at City because we won the last 6 games, rather than realise we need to improve our style, and come back with verve and purpose and be a ruthless, championship winning team again.

Still the same core, but a different philosophy and approach, that's what Cook needs to develop, I'm not asking for him to slog it out the park and play like Stokes, but he could have gradually upped his rate through the innings, moved it up to 70/80 odd when NZ were on the back foot and over the course of a few hours that's 50/60 extra runs, and the difference between declaring tonight and risking it on good weather and 10 wickets tomorrow.

It's just evolution, and the longer we go without it the more urgently I want to see it implemented.

I still think you're completely wrong. England were one wicket away from potentially being bowled out with a lead of 270 on a pitch where runs were easy to come by (4 runs per over, over 4 days of test cricket!) and a bowling attack that's toothless. We are not in a position to be so aggressive whether the fans like it or not. The team is picked to not lose test matches at this point in time because we simply don't have the bowlers to win. That sounds negative but it's just facts, you don't lose the first test match of a long summer by being stupid.

Today, and this test match, is a huge step in the right direction.

PS 355 runs in the day with 168 in the last session. God knows how you wanted a well over 300 lead and a couple of New Zealand wickets.

England have not saved this test match yet ok cook got the runs but he still w*nk at captain

England still need to bat to out time and overs and if new Zealand bowl well and the weather stays good they could still chase 350 in 60 overs they have some very big hitters who score very fast just like today with stokes did for England so its not job done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.