Dunkirk

stony said:
There used to a little old fella called Tommy who drank in my local. He was in every night with his wife. He was only about 5 foot tall, if that. His hands were crippled with arthritis and he had to hold his pint with two hands. He was always laughing and his wit was razor sharp. One of the regulars came in sporting a new beard and asked a girl at the bar what she thought of it. Quick as a flash Tommy piped up "You look like an armpit with teeth" The poor fucker was so deflated, he drank his pint and fucked off.
I will never forget the first time I saw him wearing his medals. There was almost too many to fit on his chest. He went to France with the BEF and was one of the last to leave at Dunkirk. He served in North Africa and was in the first wave on D-Day. He served all the way through the war from start to finish. A proper hero. R.I.P Tommy you old rogue and thank you.

Fucking winner hahahaaha, proper laughed out loud at that, excellent stuff.

Gratitude, love and respect to all of them.

(....up to the rank of Colonel)

blue underpants said:
i kne albert davy said:
bluemc1 said:
Grandad was at Dunkirk,wish he was still around now I'm older so i could ask him about it
Bloody dangerous I would have thought just as well we had the strongest navy in the world at the time and some pretty brave blokes in the RAF.
And the French army, when it became clear not everybody was going to get away whole units of the French volunteered to hold the rear guard knowing full well they would be killed or captured, a lot of British volunteered as well but were ordered by the generals to the beaches, British units that were cut off fought fiercely often to the last man or bullet, brave men indeed
Quite a few British divisions defended the perimeter as well to let their comrades escape, I remember seeing a documentary a fair while ago that after some of them surrendered the Germans murdered them in cold blood. I only hope we dealt out some justice for them at the wars end.

i

i kne albert davy said:
blue underpants said:
i kne albert davy said:
Bloody dangerous I would have thought just as well we had the strongest navy in the world at the time and some pretty brave blokes in the RAF.
And the French army, when it became clear not everybody was going to get away whole units of the French volunteered to hold the rear guard knowing full well they would be killed or captured, a lot of British volunteered as well but were ordered by the generals to the beaches, British units that were cut off fought fiercely often to the last man or bullet, brave men indeed
Quite a few British divisions defended the perimeter as well to let their comrades escape, I remember seeing a documentary a fair while ago that after some of them surrendered the Germans murdered them in cold blood. I only hope we dealt out some justice for them at the wars end.

i
See Fritz Knoechlein of the Totenkopf SS Division and the massacre of the Royal Norfolks

blue underpants said:
i kne albert davy said:
blue underpants said:

Just read it mate,thanks to private Pooley justice was done even in war there has to be some rules and murders still murder that guy had enough blood on his hands to be hanged ten times over.

i
See Fritz Knoechlein of the Totenkopf SS Division and the massacre of the Royal Norfolks

i kne albert davy said:
blue underpants said:
i kne albert davy said:

Just read it mate,thanks to private Pooley justice was done even in war there has to be some rules and murders still murder that guy had enough blood on his hands to be hanged ten times over.

i
Been doing a bit of reading up on the Knoechlein trial and execution, apparently he was in charge of a light machine gun company in the Totenkopf and the testimony of Private Pooley said it was heavy tripod machine guns that gunned the Norfolks down, the commander of the heavy company was killed in Russia in 1943 so they couldn't finger him for it
Pooley always stated that the man who gave the orders to fire wore an SS peaked cap, Knoechlein was always known for wearing a camoflagued steel helmet while in battle, anyway they were a bunch of murdering fuckers who probably killed innocent people elsewhere so his execution was justified

I listen to the album "The Snow Goose" by Camel quite regularly and that is all about the armarda of small boats that went across to rescue the lads off the beaches. When you know the story of it, the music becomes even more poignant.

"Lest we never forget"

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.