Manc accent

I was brought up in Audenshaw / Denton and used to get told off as a kid for pronouncing water without the t as it was 'common' if you live in areas that border Openshaw / Gorton / Clayton etc like Denton and Droylsden for example you do naturally talk much more 'Manc' than people from Ashton Dukinfield and Hyde.

I remember my first day at University a lecturer insinuated , much to my utter embarrassment, that I was trying to hide my working class accent, which I suppose I was though of course that's something also levelled at middle class students.

everythingchangesbutblue said:
kas_tippler said:
I find it cringeworthy when you hear people from towns like Ashton, Oldham and Stockport talking with obviously put on manc accents. Gorton Wythenshawe Fallowfield Moss Side Openshaw YES!!! Gatley NO!
Gatley is 2 minutes from Wythenshawe, its about tuppence on the 11a.
So is Wilmslow.....

GDM has a really thick Manc scally accent.

"Oi, there's no fucking buttoh on me panineh"

Yaya_Tony said:
malg said:
dronefromsector7g said:
Proper Manc accents are fucking horrible. Luckily I have a classy, moderate, Stopfordian/Manc lilt.
Bang on. Horrible, nasally accent - worse than Scouse for me.
Worse than scouse? Behave.

Nothing is worse than Scouse. Some Scouse accents are totally incomprehensible to a trained Manc ear. I've been in a Scouse shop in that centre they call Dippers 1 EFC 2 and I could not understand a bloody word the poor girl said. I looked at Mrs. Ewing and she was equally nonplussed. Thirty five miles away from God's Little Acre and they are speaking a foreign language.

Mind, I was in Barcelona once and bumped into a Toffee. I told him to be careful 'cos there were a few Liverpool fans down the end of Las Ramblas. Yeah, he said, but none of 'em are speaking Scouse!!

It's amazing how accents change just four or five miles away.

For example:-

A Stalybridge accent is definitely different to a Hyde one.

A Burnley accent is very very different to a Rossendale one.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.