Name the player

I can definitely confirm that it is indeed Bert Sproston, shaking hands with Utd captain Johnny Carey, on Sept 20th 1947. The result was 0-0, and the attendance was given as 78,000, although that round number inclines me to think that it was an educated estimate.
In the days when the player wore shirts numbered in order in the line-up, No 2 was always right-back, Bert's position. He did not have curly ginger hair, as has been suggested, but flattish sandy-coloured hair.
City's team that day was Thurlow; Sproston, Westwood; Walsh, Fagan, Emptage; Wharton, Smith, McMorran, Capel, Clarke.
Frank Swift must have been injured that day for Alec Thurlow to replace him in goal, but we kept a clean sheet. Thurlow became a sick man soon after and died young, of TB I think, so he was replaced by a German guy from St Helens Town called Bert something.....what ever happened to him?
It is a superb picture, unusually for those days in colour (unless retouched). Johnny Carey was a very good player, a gentleman, who actually made wartime guest appearances for City in 1941.
Just look at those boots!
Sproston's last game was in Jan 1950. He was a Cheshire lad, signed from Sandbach Ramblers, and an England international.He was a sturdy defender, but you never saw him overlap. I know what he'd have said if you'd asked him to.
Hope this clarifies things. It may even stir some memories among other oldies on this forum.
How I'd love to see more piccies like that!

They should bring back those referee uniforms

And that ball was just slightly lighter than ten pound of spuds.

It's funny that since then everything in football has kept pace with new advances in technology - materials for shirts and shorts, the ball, the state of the pitches, the stadia. Everything that is except the application of the Laws of the Game! Oh, wait a minute, we have a linesman behind each goal, in some matches, with the very latest in high-tech - a flag!! Anyone ever seen one of those flags being waved?

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.