Cape Town

I'm one of those annoying people who likes all of that! As it's likely to be more of a cultural/city trip I'll save the beaches and warm weather for another time.
It's good to like everything - makes fo A longer happier life !

I'd go to HK, Beijing, train it to Shanghai and then fly to Tokyo - I have been told by many but haven't been that Kyoto is amazing . Beijing, HK and Tokyo all deserve quite a few days. As for other places I love Ho Chi Minh, Seoul is a very interesting place (but too many Rags) KL / Singapore are an acquired taste which clearly splits opinion. You could travel a year and only see a fraction of what such a huge region has

My and my lad are doing a driving holiday through Europe next summer (we did Route 66 this year) and I intend to incorporate Lyon and Valencia as well as Bilbao, which I missed off my 'to do' list.

So much to see in this amazing world.

If you're going to be in that part of Spain, make sure you stop off in San Sebastian too. It's a beautiful town, a couple of cracking beaches and some great food in the Pintxos bars.

I was a bit underwhelmed by Bilbao, the Guggenheim aside. We did only spend a day there though so there's probably quite a bit we missed.

I'd go to HK, Beijing, train it to Shanghai and then fly to Tokyo - I have been told by many but haven't been that Kyoto is amazing . Beijing, HK and Tokyo all deserve quite a few days. As for other places I love Ho Chi Minh, Seoul is a very interesting place (but too many Rags) KL / Singapore are an acquired taste which clearly splits opinion. You could travel a year and only see a fraction of what such a huge region has

Thanks for the tips, I'll look into that itinerary. Would probably do Tokyo and then Mt Fuji and on to Kyoto to see somewhere possibly more traditional in culture. I loved Singapore as I've said before, I wasn't really interested in KL. After Singapore I took a bus up to KL and just found it to be a poorer version. Malaysia in general is fantastic though, one of the best places I've ever been. Penang was amazing and the islands off both coasts are stunning. It's the food in Penang that's the best... I went out every night with the intention of making it to the Chinese quarter, and only made it once because my journey took me via "Little India" (as you find in all cities in that region) and the draw of the food was too much!

Plan is to tick off the Far East next year and then Central America the year after, managed to get to South America last Christmas which was fantastic.

You've got to go Nelson's Eye steak restaurant on Hof Street. I promise you it'll be the best steak you've ever had in your life. It's a bit away from the centre but you'll need a car anyway as public transport isn't great anywhere in South Africa.

The pengiuin colony at Boulders Beach in Simonstown is worth a visit. You can walk among the little buggers and they're as cute as.

Don't bother GDM unless you want to use it as a jumping off point for San Marino. Bologna is the most drab and boring Italian city I've ever been to. If you were disappointed by Milan (which I too found very disappointing) Bologna will send you into narcolepsy.

Utter shithouse. Been there several times and each time I couldn't wait to get out.

I live in Cape Town, and things that impressed me as a local:

1) Obvs the mountain, a hike up Lions Head can also be cool for sunrise or sunset apparently(never been) just watch out when its dark people get mugged
2) Take a look at town, Kloof street etc, drive around and it can be quite decent
3) I loved Kalk bay - DONT TAKE THE TRAIN THERE - Kalk bay is basically a small town at the other side of the mountain range near Hout Bay, I loved the fish and chips at The brass bell, best fish I've had. Other than that a walk around it is nice
4) Camps bay, Clifton are very very rich areas, take a look at the houses there and maybe have lunch at camps bay, but do look at them
5) I really enjoyed just strolling around Sea Point, there are a few nice places to eat there and there is a nice promenade which you can walk along
6) Honestly the waterfront isn't that bad, locals use it as a normal shopping centre, but there are expensive shops there for tourists
7) Never done anything relating to wine, but people always recommend it

Jakarta and bali. Spent Christmas last year on bali. First time doing Christmas anywhere except the UK. Can't recommend it highly enough. Slamming whisky on the beach and wake boarding on boxing day beats a day in front of the telly hands down. And it was beautiful.

Jakarta was so different. Over here we have a gradual scale of wealth. Over there you either have (a apartment, car and job) or you don't (living, literally in a ditch by the road) there is no in between. Plus ten year olds ride scooters in packs from school. Place is mental

Edit; was wearing a city shirt in bali on the way back to the airport, ojeck guy saw it goes AGUEROOO!!! and gave me a free ride :-)

Last edited:
Bump. Thanks for all the replies. I'm going today so just wondered if there is anything else worth seeing or doing(sure there is enough on here anyway but you never know). Also most importantly if any blues live out there can you recommend any places likely to be showing the Watford game this weekend? Much appreciated!

That I've visited?

Chicago
Vienna
Berlin
Boston
Tokyo
London
Florence
Seville
Hong Kong
Edinburgh
Washington DC
Hanoi
New York
Venice
Barcelona
Vegas
San Fran
Bangkok
Paris
Singapore (if that counts)

Most disappointing:

Cape Town
Sydney
Madrid
Stockholm
Athens
Marrakech
Milan

Cities I've not been to, but really want to go at some point:

Valencia
Dubrovnik
St Petersberg
Toronto
New Orleans
Lyon
Tehran
Rio
Bologna
Dubai
Shanghai
Dallas
Beijing
Mumbai
Kingston
You a should try Cape Town again, climate, food, scenery and vibrancy can't be matched anywhere and I've been to most of the places on your list and a few more besides. New York, Seattle, Kracow and Kampala are next on my list for cities with interesting things to see and do. Vancouver and Marrakesh were good too but you need to know your way round those places to appreciate them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.