Setting Up A U-13/14 Youth Football Team Advice

City_Shirts

I'm in the process of starting a U-13 football team and would welcome any advice/tips from those with the experience of this.

I've got my application to the league secretary ready to send off and also have a Welfare Officer in place but I'm a complete novice at this stage, My application form say we require the following, Chairperson, Secretary & Treasure - Can I be all of these or do I need to get others in. I'm aware I will need to apply to the leagues to play in also.

Thanks

You will also need a minimum of a level 1 coaching badge or equivalent, CRB checks, first aid trained or someone with you at all training/matches etc who is.

A minibus is also essential as most parents will soon get bored of being taxi drivers :).

Wish you all the luck as well , it is a thankless task at times.

You've come to the right place. What area are you in? Contact your local County FA. You will need to affiliate with them (small cost) and they will give you plenty of advice, including what league would be best for your team. Check online for Cheshire FA, Manchester FA, Lancs FA etc.

You shouldn't need a qualified coach straight away, but you will be required to have one in the long term. You will need your officers and coaches to be CRB checked. You will need a qualified first aider, and other accreditations. The FA will help with this. You will need to insure your club for personal accident and public liability.

Your officials can fulfil more than one position. Most important is the secretary, who will be the main point of contact for the FA, leagues, parents, and eventually opponents, pitch owners and referees. It's a good idea to have a separate treasurer though.

It might be easier to contact a local established club and ask if you can add a team to their ranks. They would do all the admin for you, leaving you to run the team.

My credentials for giving this advice are 35 years in football admin. I have been secretary of my local club for 12 years, and we have some 20 teams from Under 7 through to Under 17. I am also Fixtures Secretary for a local league which is the biggest in the country.

Last edited:
You've come to the right place. What area are you in? Contact your local County FA. You will need to affiliate with them (small cost) and they will give you plenty of advice, including what league would be best for your team. Check online for Cheshire FA, Manchester FA, Lancs FA etc.

You shouldn't need a qualified coach straight away, but you will be required to have one in the long term. You will need your officers and coaches to be CRB checked. You will need a qualified first aider, and other accreditations. The FA will help with this. You will need to insure your club for personal accident and public liability.

Your officials can fulfil more than one position. Most important is the secretary, who will be the main point of contact for the FA, leagues, parents, and eventually opponents, pitch owners and referees. It's a good idea to have a separate treasurer though.

It might be easier to contact a local established club and ask if you can add a team to their ranks. They would do all the admin for you, leaving you to run the team.

My credentials for giving this advice are 35 years in football admin. I have been secretary of my local club for 12 years, and we have some 20 teams from Under 7 through to Under 17. I am also Fixtures Secretary for a local league which is the biggest in the country.
Since when did we let people who know what thay are talking about post on here?

Some great advice given - I would say get the full support of a few parents before you go further.
Some parents will be happy for you to take little Johnny off their hands for a few hours each Sunday morning - but you need to transport 13 kids from A to B in all weathers every Sunday. Without the full support from a few other parents all your efforts will be in vain.
Good luck :)

Once I was secretary and treasurer of the Rochdale blues (because no one would stick their hand up to be nominated) and I said as long as everyone is happy I am both then I would do it (of course everyone was more than happy as it meant they didnt have to do it!). The problem with also being chairman (apart from all the extra work) is that someone could accuse you of fiddling the accounts as there is no one else to check on it. At the very least get another parent to be treasurer then you can keep an eye on that at regular meetings.

Last edited:
Some great advice given - I would say get the full support of a few parents before you go further.
Some parents will be happy for you to take little Johnny off their hands for a few hours each Sunday morning - but you need to transport 13 kids from A to B in all weathers every Sunday. Without the full support from a few other parents all your efforts will be in vain.
Good luck :)

Once I was secretary and treasurer of the Rochdale blues (because no one would stick their hand up to be nominated) and I said as long as everyone is happy I am both then I would do it (of course everyone was more than happy as it meant they didnt have to do it!). The problem with also being chairman (apart from all the extra work) is that someone could accuse you of fiddling the accounts as there is no one else to check on it. At the very least get another parent to be treasurer then you can keep an eye on that at regular meetings.
You're a man after my own heart @Mad Eyed Screamer. That's a very good point about the treasurer. Make sure you have adequate financial controls too. Our treasurer a few years ago used the club's subs to pay all her own debts, fraudulently taking almost £22,000 off the club. We got all but about £1,000 back. She was prosecuted and pleaded guilty. She later went on to falsify her CRB form when applying for a job and ended up with a custodial sentence.

I'm in the process of starting a U-13 football team and would welcome any advice/tips from those with the experience of this.

I've got my application to the league secretary ready to send off and also have a Welfare Officer in place but I'm a complete novice at this stage, My application form say we require the following, Chairperson, Secretary & Treasure - Can I be all of these or do I need to get others in. I'm aware I will need to apply to the leagues to play in also.

Thanks
Which area are you in, can you get in with a already up and running club with all age groups who already have the necessary people in place ?

You're a man after my own heart @Mad Eyed Screamer. That's a very good point about the treasurer. Make sure you have adequate financial controls too. Our treasurer a few years ago used the club's subs to pay all her own debts, fraudulently taking almost £22,000 off the club. We got all but about £1,000 back. She was prosecuted and pleaded guilty. She later went on to falsify her CRB form when applying for a job and ended up with a custodial sentence.
Was that in Wythenshawe? Recall in the MEN a year or two back a very similar case

You're right mate. There was one in Wythenshawe a couple of years ago. It was at Benchill Celtic and the treasurer was a woman who helped herself to approx £6000 of the clubs money!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.