Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't remember other than Roma away last season Pellegrini ever setting his team up with such a pure 433. Most of the time when we've played without two centre forwards it's always been some derivative of 4231/4411 - but last night (and in Rome last year) was the Barca 433 that many of us expected we'd start playing as soon as Txiki came in.

Suits Toure much much better to not be asked to go and push right up against a forward or play as a number 10. Also suited Bony weirdly enough to be able to drop into space which would in other formations be occupied.

The scary thing is we created so many chances. More chances than I think we've ever created in a CL match.

I don't remember other than Roma away last season Pellegrini ever setting his team up with such a pure 433. Most of the time when we've played without two centre forwards it's always been some derivative of 4231/4411 - but last night (and in Rome last year) was the Barca 433 that many of us expected we'd start playing as soon as Txiki came in.

Suits Toure much much better to not be asked to go and push right up against a forward or play as a number 10. Also suited Bony weirdly enough to be able to drop into space which would in other formations be occupied.

The scary thing is we created so many chances. More chances than I think we've ever created in a CL match.

No , it was 4-1-4-1

It was the first time that the Yaya-Fernado-Fernandhino combo has really worked. They each had a clearly defined role and complemented each other superbly.

No , it was 4-1-4-1

Ha. Is it potato or potato ? In other words, same difference mate. Yes Sterling and Navas had to do a lot of work in the defensive phases of play, but then at the very highest level you have to do that (just look at the work rate of Bayern's wingers for example). For me the key was the inverted triangle in the middle of the park and wingers making runs from out to in. Identikit Barca under Pep for me.

It was the first time that the Yaya-Fernado-Fernandhino combo has really worked. They each had a clearly defined role and complemented each other superbly.

Yeah absolutely. I wrote in the post match thread last night it was the first time that that combination of 3 worked.

When I see us play like that I feel Toure's career at City can be prolonged by another two seasons after this one. He's a metronome and plays the "Xavi" role unbelievably well.

Yeah absolutely. I wrote in the post match thread last night it was the first time that that combination of 3 worked.

When I see us play like that I feel Toure's career at City can be prolonged by another two seasons after this one. He's a metronome and plays the "Xavi" role unbelievably well.

Where would Silva play then in a 433?

Big Baws Pellers drops the Ginger Prince to grant Bluemooners' requests to give him a rest! who saw that little curveball coming! Imagine what would be said if we'd lost.....

He who dares, Rodders....

Where would Silva play then in a 433?

He wouldn't - not when you have Sterling, KDB, and Navas for the wide attacking roles. Horses for courses IMO. Some matches you can play 4231 with Silva in the hole, in fact most matches you can play that way. But that 5/10% of games in a season where we need to show more structural solidity within the system, Silva would probably have to make way.

No , it was 4-1-4-1
Does it actually matter what combination of 4's, 3's,2's and 1's you call it ?

What it was, was fluid, attacking, exciting, it had all the ingredients of a MP team, but with better tempo than we've ever played. Yaya was at his best, Fernando like a rock, Fernandhino the best we've ever watched.

What a contrast it was from Norwich on Saturday, when we plodded around with no tempo at all, hoping for small holes to appear, and yet still getting caught out by the odd counter attack.

I've watched this club for well over 40 years, and I struggle to remember a better performance, and I was particularly impressed with how we controlled the second half, they never really looked like getting one, yet we looked more than capable of adding to our lead, and upping our game if required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.