Camp America

Many years ago (a couple of decades) I did BUNAC and did 3 and a bit months of door to door selling around Daytona beach and up into north Florida and South Georgia. Was feckin Magic and I had an amazing summer , though my mate and me spent a bit too much of our takings so when we got back to settle up in Nashville and everyone else settled down to get their cheques we were both given a bill. We had more fun than all the virtuous hard working do gooders though.

Do it!!!

I did 4 years of it from 99 and i couldn't recommend it enough. Without doubt one of the best things i've ever done. I was at a day camp in Michigan coaching football and swimming. Days in the sun playing sports and swimming in an outdoor pool, fantastic weather, brilliant people and then nights and weekends to do as we pleased. We were housed with an American family which was brilliant and i'm still good friends with them today and they came over for my wedding a few years ago.

I'm not sure what it pays these days but when i did it the money was not really something i would describe as a wage. We got paid at the end and it didn't go very far. Save up before you go so you have money for traveling after it finishes in August and go for it. The women loved the English lads as well so that was an added bonus and met so many really nice people from all over the world that i still stay in touch with 13 years on.

Live with my missus over here so not so bothered about the shagging myself but hope there'll be decent banter to get involved in.

Not gona let having a girlfriend hold me back from meeting new people though. A mate of mine met his missus on a similar programme and mates from all over the World.

North America is such a big place, the younger I visit the more I'm gona learn I reckon. Thanks for the opinions gents, plenty of good feedback.

Dont know anything about the camps pal, but I would absolutely say do it. I came over here on an internship in the late 90's and loved it so much I never left.

It'll broaden your horizons and give you an amazing life experience. Like you've said though, where to go is a big question - I've been in the southeast the whole time but would love to get out west for more than just a holiday.

Got a lot of friends who have done it and each and every one of them would recommend it. If you have any specific questions you want answering, there's someone on my Facebook who is a Camp America rep or something like that. I can pass them over.

My lad did it for 3 years and then did some UK recruiting for them. He absolutely loved every minute of it and has made (and retained) friends all over the world. It's hard work but a fantastic experience and, regardless of what you're planning to do in the future, will sit well on your CV. Good luck, any help you need, I'm sure he'd be happy to oblige.

I did 4 years of it from 99 and i couldn't recommend it enough. Without doubt one of the best things i've ever done. I was at a day camp in Michigan coaching football and swimming. Days in the sun playing sports and swimming in an outdoor pool, fantastic weather, brilliant people and then nights and weekends to do as we pleased. We were housed with an American family which was brilliant and i'm still good friends with them today and they came over for my wedding a few years ago.

I'm not sure what it pays these days but when i did it the money was not really something i would describe as a wage. We got paid at the end and it didn't go very far. Save up before you go so you have money for traveling after it finishes in August and go for it. The women loved the English lads as well so that was an added bonus and met so many really nice people from all over the world that i still stay in touch with 13 years on.
First time I did it, (90) I received around $400 (around 250 quid) but BUNAC paid for the airfare and sorted the visa out - and of course you have free board and food for 9 weeks!

The following 2 years I received around $1100 as I dealt direct with the camp director (he wasn't camp before anyone asks!) but I had to pay my airfare (around 250 quid at the time) and paid BUNAC maybe 50 quid to sort the visa out and also you have to buy your own health insurance.

In terms of my career, it was fantastic on my CV as a youth worker, as when I finished the Poly in 91, I did 3 months in US, 6 months on a camp in Oz, 3 months at a camp in NZ and back to summer camp in the US for 3 months.... great 15 months travelling / living for free!

24 years later I am still working with kids!

First time I did it, (90) I received around $400 (around 250 quid) but BUNAC paid for the airfare and sorted the visa out - and of course you have free board and food for 9 weeks!

The following 2 years I received around $1100 as I dealt direct with the camp director (he wasn't camp before anyone asks!) but I had to pay my airfare (around 250 quid at the time) and paid BUNAC maybe 50 quid to sort the visa out and also you have to buy your own health insurance.

In terms of my career, it was fantastic on my CV as a youth worker, as when I finished the Poly in 91, I did 3 months in US, 6 months on a camp in Oz, 3 months at a camp in NZ and back to summer camp in the US for 3 months.... great 15 months travelling / living for free!

24 years later I am still working with kids!
A lot of the people I worked with have ended up working with kids, I very nearly did as well. I had to work with autistic kids, cerebral palsy and probably in general the most rewarding job I've ever done.

We always got our flights paid for but always home from New York so we always had to finish our traveling there. I genuinely think the experience of those 4 summers made me and whenever anyone asks me about it I can't speak highly enough of the whole experience.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.