Jimmy Hill has died

Quite odd that sometimes he came across really well and other times like you say he was a bit of a dick. Who can ever forget the Blackburn ball girl incident? They were playing Liverpool at home in the FA Cup, around 1991, and were leading going into injury time. It would've been a big upset - at the time Liverpool were still arguably the best team in the country and Blackburn were in the 2nd division (think it was just before the Jack Walker days). Liverpool fans were streaming for the Ewood exits but they managed to grab a last-gasp equaliser. Anyway, that night when the match was one of those featured on MOTD Jimmy Hill pipes up "I blame the Blackburn ball girl for that goal as she gave the ball back to the Liverpool player far too quickly" or words to that effect. I thought he was a right twat for saying that but at the same time found it piss funny!

Anyway, RIP.

I saw that on the recent documentary and to be fair, he did realise he was wrong and he did everything he could to make amends, writing to the girl and meeting her (not in a Jimmy Saville waay).

The funniest bit was when he tried to argue that Roumania, when the whole team dyed their hair blonde* actually had a tactical advantage, cos they could spot one another and pass better to teammates, I remembered that and I did remember the guy fondly. All the other pundits were p*ss*ng themselves, but I thought he had a good point!

*If I remember right, one player refused to go 'blond' but I maybe wrong.

I enjoyed that documentary about Jimmy Hill yesterday .
Even Brian Clough recognised Jimmy Hill was a very clever man .
I wish I'd been around in 1970 to see that World Cup panel on ITV .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.