Muhammed Ali RIP

Never really understood why he waa considered the 'Greatest'. For me its Ray Robinson. Best heavyweight, either Louis or Johnson.

Fraiser looked after him whilst he was away from the sport, was paid back with insults and had the public turn on him for being so called Uncle Sam. The way he goaded Liston. The way he cheated v Cooper. Just not how the best is meant to behave.

Always believed he got a pass on his cuntery, due to the way the war played out and his stance.

The saving grace is that he understood his wrongs and apologised. Just a shame Fraiser never got the limelight he deserved, instead died a broken, poor and bitter man.

Wish him well and hope his health mends.

Robinson sure, the other two, not a chance.

We have lost another great person this year .
The best heavy weight ever .
Never frightened to speak his mind .
And for that I admire him even more .

Perhaps a controversial comment, but I think Mike Tyson was the greatest boxer ever. Scumbag of a human being, but no heavyweight has ever dominated boxing in such a devastating fashion as Tyson imho.
If Tyson had entered the heavyweight division in 1970 he'd soon have found himself on his arse.

I was stood in a club in the early hours of this morning when I got the breaking notification on my phone regarding his death. What a man he was. I love watching his fights on YouTube, gutted he wasn't a fighter of my era.

If Tyson had entered the heavyweight division in 1970 he'd soon have found himself on his arse.

Yep. Seen Marciano mentioned on this thread as well and his stats are incredible but Ali dominated the Heavyweight division during it's golden era, an awful lot of the champs before and since wouldn't have gotten a mention if they'd been fighting in his day (lads like Holyfield would have been starving themselves to make light heavyweight rather than step up). Never liked the chaps mouth but as a boxer he's head and shoulders above everyone else.

A remarkable human being and by all accounts a very nice guy. He highlighted a lot that was wrong about America in the 1960s and was proved right about the Vietnam War. He was definitely the best heavyweight of his era but he didn't believe half of the stuff that he came out with. He admitted on the Parkinson Show that his trash talking was copied from Gorgeous George the Wrestler and was all done to sell tickets. Basically people would keep coming back hoping that he'd lose! Greatest boxer ever? Debatable. Greatest sporting icon ever? Without doubt. He was reckoned to be the most famous man on the planet back in the '60s which was a measure of the man. It's sad to see his passing but really over the past three decades he'd suffered enough.

Self proclaimed greatest when cameras were there to record it. Went on and proved he was with absolute courage and conviction.
As a child on a brick pillar at his home was proclaiming himself the greatest and what he'd achieve to bemused onlookers.
George Foreman said a part of him has gone with his death, I feel that sadness as well and reckon his loss will be felt more keenly by many who'd not met him but know about him more than any other public figure in history.
Captured so many hearts and minds with his charisma, wit and talent.
The Greatest.
RIP Champ.

Last edited:

I think you completely underestimate the intimidation and often downright terror, Tyson brought to the ring. I am not saying he was technically a great boxer (actually I did say he was the greatest boxer, which was a lazy choice of words, because it's not what I meant). He was not great at the art of boxing in any technical sense. But he was so *incredibly* fast, so strong, so brutal, he frightened the living daylights out of his opponents and swatted them away, usually in the first round.

So could Ali, or Marciano or Robinson or any of the greats have out-boxed him? Of course. Would they have done? Who knows, but personally I think not.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.