On the site of the Etihad in the past - and pictures of olde Manchester

Hi sam armstrong. Sarah ann st goes through the corner of the colin bell and the south stands and ends just behind the goals.
That is wonderful news .... just a pity my Grandad is no longer here to appreciate the irony though I dare say he's having a little chuckle to himself!!!

Thank you very much imbluethruandthru for clarifying what I hoped for!!

To my eternal shame, most of my family were Utd fans but whilst tracing my family tree I did find connections to Sarah Ann Street, Beswick.

Not being familiar with the old Beswick I would love it if Sarah Ann Street was somewhere within the Etihad grounds as the irony would be fantastic but can't find definitively where it was or where that lies in relation to the ground ... can anyone shed a light?

Ironically I live in a small village called Winwick just outside Warrington and was made up when I traced relatives in the 17th century as having been born in the same village ..... spooky that we may have walked down the same lanes centuries apart!

Sam Armstrong the map on the link below shows the exact location of Sarah Ann Street

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=17&lat=53.4823&lon=-2.2015&layers=6&right=BingHyb

Used to live on Kay street back in the 60s, Its a small industrial estate now, point it out to my lad on the way to the match sometimes, and he can't understand there's no plaque, sarky get.

As well as my Nan(Dads side) being born on the site of the stadium my Grandad(Mums side)died on Grey Mare Lane of a massive heart attack in the 70s.I point the exact spot out to my lads every time and they do the same!

webmedia.php
strangely enough, he did end up working at wilsons in miles platting for 20 years.

That's astounding barney .... have let all my Utd supporting relatives know!!! Am absolutely made up!!

Sam,send them the map link at the start of this post where I found my Nans.....you can clearly see that Barney is spot on.Even better location than my Nans birthplace,youre actually in the stadium!

I spent the first 5 years of my life in a two up two down terrace complete with outside bog on Chatham Street off Grey Mare Lane, close to City's academy complex. Thanks to the OP for posting. Great stuff.

Going through some old family stuff and got hold on my Nans Birth Certificate and found she was born on Thornley Street in Bradford in 1911.

I then used the link below and the geographoca 1960 map that can be overlayed on todays map and discovered that the street is where todays modern day Summerbees Bar stands at the Etihad.

Interesting to look at the map for others im sure so posted the link below.Shame it does not cover the whole of Gorton,if anyone has a similar map of Gorton to Denton can you post a link also.

http://manchester.publicprofiler.org/beta/

Unfortunately, this doesn't go all the way to Denton, but covers most of Gorton, and is an indexed street map:
http://www.artus-familyhistory.com/source/Early Maps.html
Click on the Manchester 1930 map, section 3d. If you want to download the whole of the Manchester map, you'll have to download the sections individually, and then get to work in Photoshop! Very useful site for family research buffs, like myself.

does CHAP on sarah anne street mean chapel ?? if it does.... its right beside the garden of rememberance

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.