Angus Gunn

Problem for Gunn is that he's seemingly not going to be playing in the EDS. Billy O'Brien currently is, and then if he moves on loan i'd suspect Danny Grimshaw to get a go seeing as he's moved up with his teammates from last year's u18s. We've got too many keepers at this level knocking about and I'm not sure Angus Gunn being 3rd choice and never playing at any level ever is a good thing. I really feel personally like he needs first team football now or he'll start to stagnate.

Problem for Gunn is that he's seemingly not going to be playing in the EDS. Billy O'Brien currently is, and then if he moves on loan i'd suspect Danny Grimshaw to get a go seeing as he's moved up with his teammates from last year's u18s. We've got too many keepers at this level knocking about and I'm not sure Angus Gunn being 3rd choice and never playing at any level ever is a good thing. I really feel personally like he needs first team football now or he'll start to stagnate.

Pep said all the keepers need to play and that second choice will rotate, he name dropped Gunn so I think we can assume he's considered a first team keeper now.

Personally I think if Gunn's going to have any chance of a future in goal for us, he needs to spend as much time around Bravo and Pep as possible, and if he is going to go on loan, it has to be to a club with a similar philosophy of playing out from the back - and that's a very small pool of potential clubs.

Loaning him out to some random League 1 or Championship club will be absolutely pointless, any benefit or growth in his shot stopping or traditional goalkeeping skills will be completely mitigated by the fact he won't be doing the training with ball at feet which he'll get here. I'd much rather he stayed as 3rd choice keeper, taking part in all the drills with outfield players, rondos etc, playing the way Pep wants his keepers to play every day, practising and learning off Bravo.

Realistically we all know Willy isn't up to much. At best he's marginally better with his passing than Joe was, and his contract is up in June. If Gunn has any real potential at this level than he could end up 2nd choice keeper next season, at 21 playing cup games under Guardiola.

If he goes off on a loan for a year, there's no chance Pep and co will be comfortable enough with him to step up to 2nd choice.

Last edited:
It's not because the two have to be injury prone, it's in case just one gets injured or ill or suspended etc. Then for the next game, you need two. Hence, 3rd keeper.
I bet O'Brien can sit on the bench just as good as any other player if needed. I guarantee it. Pep has even picked him up over Lawlor in July.

Pep said all the keepers need to play and that second choice will rotate, he name dropped Gunn so I think we can assume he's considered a first team keeper now.

Personally I think if Gunn's going to have any chance of a future in goal for us, he needs to spend as much time around Bravo and Pep as possible, and if he is going to go on loan, it has to be to a club with a similar philosophy of playing out from the back - and that's a very small pool of potential clubs.

Loaning him out to some random League 1 or Championship club will be absolutely pointless, any benefit or growth in his shot stopping or traditional goalkeeping skills will be completely mitigated by the fact he won't be doing the training with ball at feet which he'll get here. I'd much rather he stayed as 3rd choice keeper, taking part in all the drills with outfield players, rondos etc, playing the way Pep wants his keepers to play every day, practising and learning off Bravo.

Realistically we all know Willy isn't up to much. At best he's marginally better with his passing than Joe was, and his contract is up in June. If Gunn has any real potential at this level than he could end up 2nd choice keeper next season, at 21 playing cup games under Guardiola.

If he goes off on a loan for a year, there's no chance Pep and co will be comfortable enough with him to step up to 2nd choice.

Yeah Pep seemed to be suggesting all the keepers would play.

So, Caballero out next summer? Does this mean that 1 foreign player spot will be freed both for EPL and CL?

Would love for Gunn to become the #2 next season. Let him play the domestic cups and working with Pep and Bravo will still be great for his development. Once Bravo is gone, Gunn becomes the #1.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.