More than half of Brits want burka ban

If it really is about not being able to see peoples' faces then I guess we should look at banning:

- Long hair on windy days (who could it be under that hair?)
- Full fringes
- Face tattoos (who could it be under all those tattoos?)
- Big sunglasses (we can't see their eyes, how do we know what they're thinking?)
- Baseball caps
- Snoods in the winter (we can't see their mouths, what sort of terrorist attack could they be plotting?)
- Tinted windows on cars (we can't see anyone driving, it could be empty!)
- Army blokes with camouflage face paint
- Children's face painting at the beach

It's fuck all to do with obscuring the persons' face for you. You just see it as a scary black sheet from another country that looks a bit weird and a bit different so your natural reaction is to want its removal. I think that's sad and pathetic but the sooner you admit that to yourself, the sooner you can stop publicly tying yourself in knots and potentially outing yourself as a massive racist.
Not sure where to start with this nonsense. First off, I don't think I've tied myself in knots at all. This thread is about a garment that totally obscures the face not about any items of clothing. As I've previously said, I don't support it being banned as I believe more in freedom of choice than to pandering to people who object to things. That said, I don't particularly like them as they are anti-social.
Moving on to your ridiculous accusation of racism, I thought we'd established Islam isn't a race, not all Muslims are brown and the wearing of the burka is not a religious requirement, it's a cultural thing brought in from some parts of the Muslim world. So no, I'm not a racist and I don't support banning burkas. It doesn't mean I have to like them though.

Not wishing to insult or belittle you Joe, just explore a point of view.

My question here would be 'is it against the law to show disrespect to someone via passive means? (Not talking about directly aimed inflammatory remarks deliberately intended to stir hatred).

For me, if this could be classified in any way at all as a form of disrespect, it would be a much, much milder one than any direct attack, and this factor (even if intentional - which I'm sure in most cases it's not) - puts it so far into the realm of moot that given our current socio-cultural outlook as a nation, it could never stand a chance of being legally banned with the exception of very specific circumstances (in the same way that my public right of way is generally an accepted norm except in certain situations, e.g. when the police need me to move.)

doesn't need to be made law. Just needs people to be brought up properly and show a modicum of common decency and respect when speaking with people.

Not sure where to start with this nonsense. First off, I don't think I've tied myself in knots at all. This thread is about a garment that totally obscures the face not about any items of clothing. As I've previously said, I don't support it being banned as I believe more in freedom of choice than to pandering to people who object to things. That said, I don't particularly like them as they are anti-social.
Moving on to your ridiculous accusation of racism, I thought we'd established Islam isn't a race, not all Muslims are brown and the wearing of the burka is not a religious requirement, it's a cultural thing brought in from some parts of the Muslim world. So no, I'm not a racist and I don't support banning burkas. It doesn't mean I have to like them though.
Quite. Are Muslim's racist when they don't like people showing their hair, knees, elbows and shoulders?

Of course they aren't.

But remember you're speaking to someone with all the life experience of a slightly off tin of condensed milk and also remember it's very cool to be lefty and throw the racism term around.

It would be a crying shame if the UK banned the Burqa. The U.K. Is accepting of other customs and cultures and that separates it and elevates from a huge number of countries. But I am not surprised many would back the ban as a burqa is antisocial. It's intended to be for a reason. It is off putting when you have to talk to someone and see just their eyes or nothing (when accompanied by a full veil). But for me that's nothing to do with Islam, it would be the same talking to someone in a balaclava or full motorcycle helmet.

This coming from the arsewipe who wanted the girl who raised tens of thousands for a cancer charity to die.

Your one of the biggest nastiest worthless people on any social media site.

no I didn't. Liar. Apologise.

nxG4i6YuQnHzi.gif

So in other words, a woman who didn't want to wear it should go to the police.
If she stayed in the home and he was told to leave, she'd be ostracised by her community. She'd otherwise have to leave the family home. A rock and a hard place. They're forced to accept that this is the way things are. Like it or lump it .

Yes, she would be. But if the Burka/niqab was banned she may be condemed to a life where she is confined to the house for the rest of her days. There is a saying - hard case makes bad law - you cannot legislate your way out of a difficult situation. THe answer is education and a open society that actively works to be inclusive, and find common ground with all who are willing to live peacefully.

The bottom line is that discrimination by gender, colour, sexuality etc is plain WRONG.
To try and excuse it by pretending or claiming that women aren't coerced, threatened or intimidated is pure head in the sand. Most countries throughout the world have a patriarchal society. Some just take it to extremes. To facilitate and minimise it does a huge disservice to those on the receiving end of it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.