Your favourite promotion season?

The attacking intent behind football in Keegan's season was phenomenal. We scored 108 league goals that season, which I believe is still the most by an English side in a league season since Graham Taylor's Lincoln in 1975/6 (though, to be fair, we had a higher goals per game ratio in the recent title wins under both Mancini and Pellegrin). But in the Keegan season, we could have scored 150 league goals. Quite often, our finishing was wayward. And there were several games where we were utterly in control at half time and played out an uneventful second half rather than going for the throat (we had some ridiculous scheduling with 46 games to play and frequent postponements owing to internationals). But it was really a wonderful season.

However, for personal reasons, I'll nominate 1988/9. Partly, this was because I was at university in the south so, as well as making it to most home games, I started going away regularly as well for the first time, which I really enjoyed. We took good numbers (in relative terms during an era of low gates), and were vocal, but it was the height of the inflatables craze so it was always a laugh. And there was something about that team, too. Six members of the 1986 youth team were regulars that year: Hinchcliffe, Redmond, Lake, White and Moulden all made more than 40 appearances in all competitions, while Ian Brightwell reached 30. They were all a similar age to me and I loved watching them. I identified with them in a way that's much more difficult today. They'd grown up with the club and it was totally evident both how much Manchester City and how much playing with one another meant to them, which was lovely to see. And their youth seemed to offer us hope for the future. From 1982 onwards, things at City had been pretty gloomy, but heading for promotion with a talented young core of the side couldn't help but make you feel optimistic.

Bit of an odd one. I remember us being promoted in 65-66 but don't recall anything about it other than the excitement of friends and relatives after the win at Rotherham.
The 84-85 season has a special memory as it was the first where I'd been to loads of games and was the remedy to the trauma felt after witnessing relegation for the first time two years earlier. I'd been at a wedding in Glasgow on the Friday night and raced back to see us beat Charlton 5-1.Also, we'd fucked up in the previous season finishing 4th in a four horse race.
The 88-89 promotion held the possibility of safety as kids from the 85-86 FA Youth Cup winning team were around. Again we'd messed up the previous season when our momentum was halted following the sending off of Andy Dibble(?) against Palace. Back to 88-89, I watched in disbelief as we threw away a 3-0 lead against Bournemouth but Palace only drew and a draw at Bradford would do us. I couldn't get a ticket and heard the police would be stopping City fans miles from the ground so settled for the radio. It was only a few weeks after Hillsborough and everybody in authority was nervous.
98-99 was a season for seeing City at lots of new grounds. Wembley wasn't a nice afternoon as I thought our late surge (including a 2-0 win at Gillingham towards the end of the season) would carry us up without much hassle. Yeah bloody right.
I was nearing the end of an expletive laden burst aimed mainly at Royle when Dickov scored. Then I thought Gillingham heads would drop during extra-time but the stubborn gits wouldn't and we had penalties. The girl I was with won't watch penalties (she still remains seated) so only knew what was going on from the reaction of the crowd. Losing that could have screwed us.
The 1999-2000 was great as it was unexpected, and our performance in the first half at Blackburn showed the players were struggling to cope with the occasion. But then we got going and once an og put us 2-1 ahead I was sure we'd do it. I was in the upper tier and went down to get on the pitch but a few stewards were stopping fans re-entering so I joined the party on the streets.
2001-02 was easy in comparison as we were scoring for fun. Ali and Eyal in the middle, the Goat up front, Weaver at the back. The win at Wolves on Easter Monday virtually sealed it and we were up when Wolves lost at Millwall on the following Friday night. I think we clinched the title beating someone 5-1 at home the following day. That was a very important promotion as it gave us a great chance to move to our new home as a PL team.

The 84/85 season I attended every 1st team game, home reserve games (except one when the 1st team played the same night) FA Youth cup home games and a couple of pre-season friendlies. The final weeks I have never been as an emotional wreck over City - not even Gillingham and the final games of 2011/12.
Pompey away, Notts County away and then Charlton.

88/89 season, same as Petrusha said, watching the FA Youth Cup team come of age (7 of them played at Brighton away) was great and rewarding to see and the ''togetherness'' of tbat team / fans was like no other for me since. As with 85, the final three games were immensely emotional and intense - Palace, Bournemouth and Bradford.

98/99 I went to most games and as memorable as it was, it was still kind of embarrassing to be there.... not meant in a arrogant way but we just had to get out of that league. And we did in style!

99/00 was amazing because non of us expected it. Mid / above mid table would have been good. The addition of Mark Kennedy added an extra zing up front and with in a few games the play offs was a possibility. And then we just kept on going.... Blackburn at the final game is another unforgettable game.

2001/02 was amazing football with the Goat, Huckerby, Benarbia et al setting the league alight. And funny how all of the other seasons all relied on the last game wins, this campaign was over way before the season ended so we were able to relax a little and enjoy the football.

So..... in order to pick one season ..... I can't see beyond 85 and 89..... and as much as I want it to be 89 because of the youth cup team, my favourite has to be 85..... maybe because it was my first one....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.