Times article on Abu Dhabi & City

For it to be libellous it would have to be a)

1) Knowingly untrue
It is a defence to hold a reasonable belief that it is true, even if in fact, it is not.

AND

2) Cause significant financial loss to MCFC
As a 'for profit' business, City would have to demonstrate a significant financial loss as a result of the claims

It's not libellous, it's just speculation. It's probably in the minds of any fan who follows football that FSG (Liverpool), The Glazers (United), Abramovic and Sheik Mansour et al, have motivations that go well beyond football. From simple financial gain, through to personal or political and business PR.
Is the article really revealing much? nah - it's simply guessing at the key motives and presenting them in an antagonistic manner and placing particular emphasis on Islamic influence.
I wonder if he will write an article on 'Christian' nations exerting influence through the facade of sport?

What owner doesn't like the idea of his businesses 'needing' them? There's also a little ego involved.

Sadly, MCFC (and even United) are pitifully small cottage industries in the world of business. WE might think of them are huge corporations, but in the grand scheme, they really aren't. They afford a bit of follow to a billionaire, and a high level of media coverage from a relatively small investment.

Of course the Sheik has motives.

The author of the article has career motives too - I suggest they influence his articles. I would also suggest he'd like to be in a position where his employer needs him more than he needs them. Hardly news is it?

The ownership of City increases the profile of Abu Dhabi. It's small fry in the overall scheme, but it plays a part. With a higher profile, of course Abu Dhabi's voice on the global stage becomes a little louder. Isn't that what every nation strives for?

He's stating the bleeding obvious and extrapolating that to influencing NATO. Ultimately NATO is influenced by all manner of things across the globe, so in that respect, he's right. But it's a hell of a stretch. You could just as easily say Brexit influences NATO, or the repercussions of the Olympics on Brazil's economy 'influences' NATO.
Just to back up your claim that football is but a cottage industry when compared to big business. I read a stat somewhere that the turnover of every football club in the world combined is only a fraction of the turnover of just one oil company, BP.

Dear Matthew,

I have read many of your articles over the years in the Times and your epistle today regarding Manchester City and the motivation of their Owners leaves me to ask but one simple question - Are you out of your fucking mind?

Kind Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I hope that you sent him that.

Just to back up your claim that football is but a cottage industry when compared to big business. I read a stat somewhere that the turnover of every football club in the world combined is only a fraction of the turnover of just one oil company, BP.
Or one bank. In fact Primark probably have a higher turnover than all the CL clubs combined and they're a budget clothes chain.

I wonder if Matthew recalls the time when, in my previous life, he shared the same Ethiad flight as me and was telling anybody who would lesson how pleased he was with his complimentary business class ticket. From memory, I can't recall Matthew's outrage at having to use an airline owned by people who support "institutionalised brutality'. He was too busy wolfing down the free food and drink on offer.

I also wonder how many of the c*nts blowing smoke up his arse on Twitter gave a single sh*te about Abu Dhabi's human rights record before Sheikh Mansour turned us into one of the biggest clubs in the world and threatened their club's status? Maybe I'm wrong on this one, but I doubt very much any of them are, or ever have been, members of Amnesty International.

Manchester City. Increasing philanthropy and humanitarianism since 2008.

I wonder if Matthew recalls the time when, in my previous life, he shared the same Ethiad flight as me and was telling anybody who would lesson how pleased he was with his complimentary business class ticket. From memory, I can't recall Matthew's outrage at having to use an airline owned by people who support "institutionalised brutality'. He was too busy wolfing down the free food and drink on offer.

I also wonder how many of the c*nts blowing smoke up his arse on Twitter gave a single sh*te about Abu Dhabi's human rights record before Sheikh Mansour turned us into one of the biggest clubs in the world and threatened their club's status? Maybe I'm wrong on this one, but I doubt very much any of them are, or ever have been, members of Amnesty International.

Manchester City. Increasing philanthropy and humanitarianism since 2008.
When was that? Going to tweet that little gem and copy him in.

When was that? Going to tweet that little gem and copy him in.

Late 2009 or perhaps early 2010. I will have to double check.

He will deny it. I pulled him up on it via his twitter when he wrote a similar article (that this latest one seems to be a rehash of). He subsequently blocked me.

Disrespectful mother fucker.

Yes, I've read the same

manchester city were here long before this self proclaimed literal genius was born.. and it will still be here long after he is forgotton

İ would accept it if Barcelona or Dortmund fan criticized City for human rights issue. But this clown is an Arsenal fan. And Arsenal's main shareholder Stan Kroenke is supporting Tea Party movement in US.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.